Air filters? Discuss

99GreenCummins

That guy....
What brand you use?

Ran an amsoil for 3-4 months and plugged it solid. Now 6 months later I have plugged up a big duralite filter.

This is on an AEM brute force intake and air being pulled in by a 62mm charger.

I've been running S&B oiled filters for years with no issues. I am constantly in extremely dusty conditions with farming and an area that has many more dirt roads than paved ones. I pull the filters once a month and clean them.

Sent from my paperweight

I e ran a k&n for 50k miles and have cleaned it every 10-12k its usually prety dirty but cant tell a manor i crease in power or millage when clean vs. dirty.

I've been running S&B oiled filters for years with no issues. I am constantly in extremely dusty conditions with farming and an area that has many more dirt roads than paved ones. I pull the filters once a month and clean them.

Sent from my paperweight

I like the s&b intake design but I am not a fan of any oiled filters. Wish I could change, just not in the budget at the moment.

I work in a bunch of dust because of the dry sandy soil I'm farming in now. When these filters plug up, they plug solid. Not even an air compressor can blow them out. Almost like they get an oil on them and turns the dirt to concrete.

I have a small exhaust leak, could carbon be plugging all these filters up?

I like the s&b intake design but I am not a fan of any oiled filters. Wish I could change, just not in the budget at the moment.

I work in a bunch of dust because of the dry sandy soil I'm farming in now. When these filters plug up, they plug solid. Not even an air compressor can blow them out. Almost like they get an oil on them and turns the dirt to concrete.

I have a small exhaust leak, could carbon be plugging all these filters up?

I still don't understand people's apprehension with oiled filters. I was skeptical at first, but after using them for 9 years, I love them. I immediately put one in every vehicle I've bought since I first tried them. That's the last filter I buy for the vehicle too.

Sent from my paperweight

For a diesel I can maybe see the oiled elements being ok in a stock/lightly modified setting just fine. You start adding bigger/more chargers I think they restrict flow.

I guess I need to try another AEM.

For a diesel I can maybe see the oiled elements being ok in a stock/lightly modified setting just fine. You start adding bigger/more chargers I think they restrict flow.

I guess I need to try another AEM.

My S467 pulls thru one just fine. I think you need to give a larger S&B a chance.

Sent from my paperweight

I'll +1 the AFE ProDry's, I've had two and they both breathed much better than the paper BHAF they replaced.

As long as your filters aren't paper, fill a 5 gallon bucket with warm, soapy water and let them soak in it for a while. Don't let any water over the top so the crap can't get inside it, then pull it out and puff some regulated air through it. As long as you don't get too crazy with the pressure while it's wet, it shouldn't hurt anything.

They recommend running water from the inside out, but I don't have a way to get water into the filter like I do compressed air so I just use what I've got.

I've got an oil-soaked ProDry that I'll clean this week like this to confirm for you, but I've done it on other filters without any problems.

I cleaned my filters like this for a while now, Just cheaper to buy dawn dish soap than it is to buy k&n cleaner... and works better too..

I have an AEM dry element. Ordered the biggest on they offer. No issues so far at 10k miles. Looks new. My AFE dry element did extremely well too. Had 40k miles on it when it left with the twins. Just cleaned it once in a while.

Back