Ppump 24v auto tranny issues

RGHodges

I just recently wrapped up my p pump swap. Overall the swap has gone pretty smooth. I have just one issue. I have probably put 50-100 miles on the truck since the swap, and I am having a few minor issues with the transmission shifting properly. The 1-2 shift is perfect, just like before the swap. 2-3 shift holds too long under normal acceleration. 3-4 shift does the same, holds too long. Sometimes if I let out of the throttle and ease back into it, the tranny will finally ****. I purchased the APPS relocation kit which retains the 24v tps. To my understanding, when using the APPS everything should function just like it did before the swap. TV cable is properly adjusted as well. My question is does the TCM have to relearn shift points, as I had the batteries unhooked for about 3 weeks, or is there something I am missing? Thanks in advance.

How is your throttle input during the 1-2 shift vs. the other shift points? Are you easing around and waiting for second gear? I used all 12v stuff for mine, so not entirely sure. But, I do know that an improperly adjusted Tv cable will throw it all off. Just my .02 and I hope you can get it shifting right. Share the fix if you will.

Ray

Last edited:
The 1-2 shift is always near perfect under normal throttle input. I do have to ease the throttle and wait on the 2-3 shift somewhat though. At approximately 30mph I will ease out of the throttle and it will hesitate for a second, and then go into third. It has gotten a little better but still not quite how it should be. My thinking is that the shift points had to be relearned after having the batteries unhooked for a few weeks, but this may not be so. Also I will go back and double check the TV cable.

No I haven't. I thought it might have something to do with the apps, but then again my pedal feels just like it should. It also idles just fine as well. I might try adjusting the linkage on the apps and see if that has any affect on it.

I think I will look into that a little more and possibly try it. It has gotten a lot better since I have been driving it, but still not where it should be in my opinion.

did you ever get anything figured out? im having fairly similar problems, only my 1-2 shift is long, 2-3 is good.... but i have NO OD....worked for a while then nothing. like a light switch. any ideas?

I actually went back and double checked my TV cable, adjusted it about 1/8 inch, and now it shifts like it did before the swap if not better. mathews8pt I am using the 24v apps. I tried wiring in an OD switch while it was still a VP truck and never could get it to work. IIRC I read somewhere that it doesn't work on '99s. Any truth to this?

The OD switch should work just fine on your truck. I cant remember off the top of my head what Pin on the connector is for OD but i can check my notes this evening. Just tie into that wire and give it a ground like you do LU and you should be good to go.

Let me know if you figure it out. I still need to decide if I'm going with a 24v apps or 12v setup.

If I were you I would stick with the 24v apps too. I have a banjo bolt on mine to clear it, but I don't know if its an absolute necessity. Ill check it out and let you know.

If I were you I would stick with the 24v apps too. I have a banjo bolt on mine to clear it, but I don't know if its an absolute necessity. Ill check it out and let you know.

Thank you! If it can be knotched I'll do that but one of the cables look to be in the way.

heres a pic of the 24v APPS fuel inlet:

24APPSinlet.jpg

Last edited:
Back