Different sized volutes?

CTD2500

Brown Between the Cheeks
Take a look at the pictures in this listing:
MAMBA Turbine Housing Garrett GT35R GTX3576R A/R .86 Twin Scroll T4 V-Band | eBay

I’ve seen this a few times now, where a twin scroll turbine housing appears to have one volute bigger than the other. Why do they do this?

My guess is that it promotes a wider range of response and flow without moving parts. I suppose it’s also possible that one just looks bigger than the other because of how it’s cast, but the difference looks pretty pronounced so I don’t think that’s the case.

I don’t know, what do you guys think?

4th, 5th and 6th pictures. The scroll closer to the exhaust outlet looks smaller, does it not?

EFR's are the same way. Closer to the exducer needs more velocity to match the speed? Its closer to the exit, so there isn't a backpressure penalty?

Thats just a very slight difference in the casting on that one. Doesn't appear to be much different at all.

Just posting them here incase that listing ends. Thanks, guys.

LoWoLe3.jpg

rkjvbJn.jpg

K6k5TsP.jpg

CUrvjg3.jpg

zMPkabc.jpg

AcRdLqV.jpg

So how does this setup work properly if the ECM can't control the turbo like the linked video? (Assuming what that guy says is correct). And if you have a divided manifold, would half the cylinders being choked down really benefit anything?

So how does this setup work properly if the ECM can't control the turbo like the linked video? (Assuming what that guy says is correct). And if you have a divided manifold, would half the cylinders being choked down really benefit anything?
The only reason it's been utilized by oem's is to force flow through the EGR system. They are all computer controlled to my knowledge.

I didn't come back in time to take pictures. I will get some tomorrow.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Back