Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! > Tools
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Fireman450

Name: Fireman450
Title: Daring to be diffrent!!
Member`s Gallery
tig & plasma.. Opinions???

looking at these... anyone use em?? Trying to keep around a 2500 budget for both...
TIG
WeldingDepot -- Hobart EZ-TIG 165i 500551 230 Volt AC/DC Tig Welder 5/3/1 Year Warranty With FREE SHIPPING
Plasma
WeldingDepot -- Hobart® 500534 AirForce 250ci 115V Plasma Cutter

thanks
Play Toy:1994 Dodge 12V, SMOKE SHOWIN! 2WD Pulling Team. vs. 3.0 in progress. Thanks to Northeast Diesel, MUMAU DIESEL , PullTech Chassis & Fab, Cooper High Performance, SKPP, Joe Gibbs Racing/Driven Racing Oils and all my friends and family!

Old 03-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Chevycummins

Name: Chevycummins
Title: Bad case of Tinkeritis!
Member`s Gallery
dont know much about the TIG, but my brother has a similar miller version of that plasma cutter. its great for everything we do in his little shop. it runs off 110v or 220v and have cut up to 1/2" with it on 220v. the bad is i think it cost double what that Hobart one costs lol. just make sure you got a good air supply if your gonna be making long cuts or thick cuts. it will drain your tank fairly quick if you dont have a good supply of volume.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
BigYellowIron

Name: BigYellowIron
Title: Diesel Tech
Member`s Gallery
Everlast and longivity have units that will do both in one unit. I know they are chineese imports. Lots of people have good luck with them. I personally have no experence with them. There is alot of chatting about them on pirate.
Some people say that sometimes they are junk right out of the box, but the companies usually make it right.

Something to look into.

Adam

95 5 speed

Old 03-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
cummin try me

Name: cummin try me
Title: Voodoo Child
Member`s Gallery
I have no experience with either of those models but FWIW I have a Hobart MIG and it is a good machine and their customer service is awesome. I would definitely step up to a 220v plasmas machine. I got my Hypertherm PM30 for $800 used and have seen a couple others go for around that same amount and it is an awesome little plasma.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
spooled05

Name: spooled05
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I have the miller diversion 165 and that hobart is an exact clone of it except for color.
Mines been flawless!

Old 03-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYellowIron View Post
Everlast and longivity have units that will do both in one unit. I know they are chineese imports. Lots of people have good luck with them. I personally have no experence with them. There is alot of chatting about them on pirate.
Some people say that sometimes they are junk right out of the box, but the companies usually make it right.

Something to look into.

Adam
I'm surprised, but my Longevity is still kicking after a year and a half. Had an internal air leak when I first got it, but that was remedied by opening the case and pushing the hose back on the fitting.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
RonA

Name: RonA
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Do you need to do aluminum work? I have tig, mig, stick, and a plasma cutter. The migs get used way more than anything else, but when you need a tig (tiny parts, or aluminum) they are a must have. I've got a Hypertherm 45 that i bought specifically to destroy NFA items. I use it about once or twice a year for about 5 minutes. Honestly, i rarely see a welding machine that doesn't work well. Even the cheap stuff from Harbor Freight seems to go for years.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
qssc

Name: qssc
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
i think thermal dynamics is the only way to go for a plasma cutter. we had a miller in our shop that was supposed to do 3/4" in single pass and it sucked. thermal dynamics cuts 1" for breakfast

Old 04-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
SINNER

Name: SINNER
Title: BallSoHard U
Member`s Gallery
^^^What he said. All plasma's are trying to match the Thermal arc's performance. Shop for a used Miller TIG and a Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter. You can find both used and stay under the budget. That chinese inverter garbage will never perform to half the potential of quality tools. I tried using just the import consumables on my Thermal Dynamics PAK 10 and the cuts were crap, jagged and full of slag. Switched back to the name brand consumables and the cuts returned to slag free smooth cuts.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #10
NMB2

Name: NMB2
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
Hypertherm for plasma hands down.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Ldp

Name: Ldp
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I've used many plasma cutters. All work fine but if your buying one make sure its220 and buy one bigger than what you need. If they say it will cut 1/2" get one that will cut 3/4 and it will actually cut 3/8" well.

Closed Thread