Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #41
Michael

Name: Michael
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
, I gguess some tracks are more worried about tracking water, while others are worried about tearing the rubber up in the burnout area! The one thing I always figure is it's their sandbox, so I'll ask what the rules are and abide by them (although sometimes I can as a clarifying question that gets things to work my way).
95 F350 CC DRW, Intake, exhaust, chip, injectors, locker, gauges
00 Jetta TDI - tunes, clutch & gauges
And a bunch of gassers

Old 07-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #42
bdp

Name: bdp
Title: beans diesel performance
Member`s Gallery
Another point I would like to make is if your truck has some kind of failure on the track GET OFF THE GROOVE AND ON THE SHOULDER! If its real bad and you know you are puking fluids everywhere STOP ON THE SHOULDER! they will pick you up with a roll back and get it off the track. So many times someone will blow a head gasket or oil line and run all the way down the track. This creates long clean up times and can even shut down a race.

I have only been really racing this past year so have really had to learn how to manage my burnouts and staging. I still have alot to learn but I have a couple old gas racers that have showed me some great pointers and taught me alot about how to get lined up and zone in on what I am doing. Its all about routine and consitancy.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #43
VMAX

Name: VMAX
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Long staging/spool times and double bulbing a competitor seem to be the biggest problems with diesel staging. Double bulbing being a rookie is one thing doing it intentionally is another.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #44
Michael

Name: Michael
Member`s Gallery
Good point about getting to the side. I busted a rearend and sent the driveline flailing about in my gasser Friday night, I think I had the tires turned towards the guardrail before they hit the ground! Last time I had a similar failure it took the whole pinion off and spilled all my gear oil on the track, so I knew I'd better be getting that car out of the groove!

Speaking of the groove - it is always good if you can line up in the same spot side-to-side every pass. I try to line up with the darkest part of the groove, and even before I start my burnout I am lined up with that part.
95 F350 CC DRW, Intake, exhaust, chip, injectors, locker, gauges
00 Jetta TDI - tunes, clutch & gauges
And a bunch of gassers

Old 07-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #45
SHughes

Name: SHughes
Title: Too much is never enough!
Member`s Gallery
My local track is under water. I hope the river recedes and it dries out by the end of the year.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #46
JQmile

Name: JQmile
Member`s Gallery
Everybody needs smaller manifold turbos as well....trucks made c.800-900rwhp on fuel with 57mm/95mm chargers at Diesel Power Challenge, and could light the small turbo in an instant. Also gives a chance to run a much tighter converter that isn't murder on lock-up. Oh, and people also need to start locking the converters at the top of gears instead of the bottom, where the slip rate is like 50%!

I think people are taking note, and trucks are getting to the point where they're getting more reliable....the transmissions still aren't quite there, but they're getting better.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #47
JQmile

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMAX View Post
Long staging/spool times and double bulbing a competitor seem to be the biggest problems with diesel staging. Double bulbing being a rookie is one thing doing it intentionally is another.
Double bulbing is legal in most sanctioning bodies....I see no problem with it in diesel racing either, in my mind double bulbing gives the other person an advantage because they can stay outside the beams forever trying to light the turbo, while the double-bulber has to light it after they have already staged.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #48
JQmile

Member`s Gallery
Besides, games at the line aren't anything new

Old 07-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #49
RonA

Name: RonA
Member`s Gallery
I don't run my truck at events any more for this reason. I figure the less people that show up just to make a pass or 2, the quicker the racers can get done and go home. With fewer trucks on the track I can watch a couple of races at the beginning, walk a loop where the vendors are, and be back on the road home in 2 hours.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #50
BIGRPOWR

Name: BIGRPOWR
Title: SBTTFMF
Member`s Gallery
zzzzzzzzz......................................
CONTACT US FOR ANYTHING DIESEL RELATED FROM INTAKES TO EXHAUST AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN
800-581-8986

Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #51
VMAX

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQmile View Post
Double bulbing is legal in most sanctioning bodies....I see no problem with it in diesel racing either, in my mind double bulbing gives the other person an advantage because they can stay outside the beams forever trying to light the turbo, while the double-bulber has to light it after they have already staged.
Yeeeeeeeea but it is still chicken ****. 95 percent of racers, not the test and tune guys click one off and wait. The other 5 percent are doing it for an advantage or on accident.

Last edited by VMAX; 07-22-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #52
Dockboy

Name: Dockboy
Title: Comps BFF
Member`s Gallery
Thanks everyone for the comments and replies.

I just think it is important that as a racing community we come to the track informed and prepared. It will help with the impression we leave on the tracks and other racers.

It is also important for those that want to attend and participate in organized racing to understand the differences between thier local friday night street T&T and a real race. That if you understand and practice the fundamentals of true drag racing, you don't need a "record setting" truck to compete and have a good time!

And as someone stated earlier, the most important thing is to have FUN!!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #53
BIGRPOWR

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockboy View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments and replies.

I just think it is important that as a racing community we come to the track informed and prepared. It will help with the impression we leave on the tracks and other racers.

It is also important for those that want to attend and participate in organized racing to understand the differences between thier local friday night street T&T and a real race. That if you understand and practice the fundamentals of true drag racing, you don't need a "record setting" truck to compete and have a good time!

And as someone stated earlier, the most important thing is to have FUN!!
if and when i race your old azz, i will double bulb you and make you push thru the brakes. hahahahah

good thread gregory, but it wont reach those who need it most.
CONTACT US FOR ANYTHING DIESEL RELATED FROM INTAKES TO EXHAUST AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN
800-581-8986

Old 07-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #54
BIGRPOWR

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
I don't run my truck at events any more for this reason. I figure the less people that show up just to make a pass or 2, the quicker the racers can get done and go home. With fewer trucks on the track I can watch a couple of races at the beginning, walk a loop where the vendors are, and be back on the road home in 2 hours.
you're excatly what diesel racing doesnt need. the reason this thread is here is to attempt to educate the new racers so they dont upset people like you. way to support the sport. people like you are better off staying home. most of us enjoy the comradery and friendship gained by attending events, hell, some of us might even enjoy a beer at the track after racing !!!
800-581-8986

Old 07-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #55
Lostnwalmart

Name: Lostnwalmart
Member`s Gallery
I didn't even know about the double bulb thing, now I do
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Anybody that would not haul a dinosaur for an orphanage is no friend of mine.
To some people it's all about money. Geez
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #56
RonA

Name: RonA
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRPOWR View Post
you're excatly what diesel racing doesnt need. the reason this thread is here is to attempt to educate the new racers so they dont upset people like you. way to support the sport. people like you are better off staying home. most of us enjoy the comradery and friendship gained by attending events, hell, some of us might even enjoy a beer at the track after racing !!!
Sorry my post bothers you, I meant no disrespect against the drag racers. I try not to run mine at events because I'm not competing and don't want to take the chance of blowing oil or coolant on the track(my truck did that at Fortuna and shut things down for a short time). I don't usually have time to spend all day at an event so i try to show my support by attending even if i don't race, and don't have alot of time. I also show my support by donating money and parts to people that have had bad luck and seem to need a hand. But if you think people like me should stay away from events, perhaps I should find other things to support.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #57
VMAX

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQmile View Post
Besides, games at the line aren't anything new

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9towVRG6KA
Definitely nothing new was that shot in 1985?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #58
JQmile

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Sorry my post bothers you, I meant no disrespect against the drag racers. I try not to run mine at events because I'm not competing and don't want to take the chance of blowing oil or coolant on the track(my truck did that at Fortuna and shut things down for a short time). I don't usually have time to spend all day at an event so i try to show my support by attending even if i don't race, and don't have alot of time. I also show my support by donating money and parts to people that have had bad luck and seem to need a hand. But if you think people like me should stay away from events, perhaps I should find other things to support.
No offense Ron, but you are exactly the type of person we need at events. A p-pump 24v in a light truck? Ball bearing turbos with a 13mm pump? You need to get out and make some waves man, your combination is one that people would kill to have, and love to see going down the strip, or down a sled pull track, or in Diesel Power Challenge. Freeze plug or not

Takes some broken eggs to make an omelette, everyone knows that.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #59
JQmile

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMAX View Post
Yeeeeeeeea but it is still chicken ****. 95 percent of racers, not the test and tune guys click one off and wait. The other 5 percent are doing it for an advantage or on accident.
If you want to win, you should have a leg up in any situation. This falls into Dockboy's "practice, practice, practice" mentality.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #60
BIGRPOWR

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
understood ron. but when you make a post in regards to not wanting to be at a diesel event unless its empty, makes me feel un easy. all of us run the chance of oiling it down. ive never seen you to be an anti-drag guy, guess i was shocked that you said you dont want to be there long. its all good, we all have our reasons. i just want, to the best of my ability, support this stupid sport. supporting others is just as good. thanks man.
800-581-8986

Closed Thread