Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance > P-Pump 24Valve
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
jdweld12v

Name: jdweld12v
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
800 HP best cam for single charger?

I am in process of building a 800 HP single charger p pump 24v. I have 115 springs on my head and getting intake cut and having runner intake installed. Motor is bored out 20 over and going to run a 13 mm p pump I was curious what would be a good size cam to run and get most out of it. Thanks

Old 11-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
It all depends on your RPM range. Where the turbo is going to spool, and where the pump is going to flow. With a 13mm pump, I am guessing you'll have more than enough fuel anywhere in the rpm range, but your large turbo might not light until 2200rpm+ and so you'd want your power to come on higher, and in that case a different cam might suite you. A lot of people like the Hamilton 188/220 cam because you don't have to flycut, but if you are planning on staying below 3500rpm, you probably wont see much improvement using a cam.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
jdweld12v

Member`s Gallery
The pistons are still on bench and I have mill. So cutting the pistons is no big deal just want good cam I can maybe someday even run up to maybe 4 digit HP numbers with no concern thanks.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
JL Builders

Name: JL Builders
Title: On a quest for more power
Member`s Gallery
I got a Hamilton 200/220 for sale. Requires 80thou cut.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
Dieseljet

Name: Dieseljet
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
If you go with a cam that requires flycuts your power band will be moved up and spool up will be slow along with having low torque. A cam like the Hamilton 194/220 or the 188/220 will let you spool your charger up faster than the factory cam and make more power on less boost. You will make more hp and torque with a drop in cam for what you want to do. Also the more your cylinder head flows the less duration you need which keeps port velocity up and dynamic compression up which helps you burn more fuel faster and with less timing. A cam will not help you if your engine tuning is way off. You want to have as much air as you do fuel which is not always the case as it seems fuel is usually way easier to add than air. If you get that part right magic things can happen.

1966 Ford F-100
sc sb 2wd
12v cummins nv4500
s366 5x18
194/220

Old 11-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
jdweld12v

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for input guys! How much are u looking to get for your cam JL?

Old 11-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
whitneyj

Name: whitneyj
Title: still in pieces
Member`s Gallery
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...d.php?t=176166

Old 11-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
9724VF350

Name: 9724VF350
Title: Tractor Guy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL Builders View Post
I got a Hamilton 200/220 for sale. Requires 80thou cut.
I had a 200/220 stuffed in a 24v with no flycuts.

Wife's ride-03 Excursion 12V swap in the works.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
JL Builders

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
Thanks

Old 11-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
JL Builders

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9724VF350 View Post
I had a 200/220 stuffed in a 24v with no flycuts.
That can happen too. I was just going off Hamiltons site.
It depends on many things. Piston protrusion, head gasket thickness, valve face depth, valve lash and so on.

Any who its a good cam IMO.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
EricStaab

Name: EricStaab
Title: Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdweld12v View Post
I am in process of building a 800 HP single charger p pump 24v. I have 115 springs on my head and getting intake cut and having runner intake installed. Motor is bored out 20 over and going to run a 13 mm p pump I was curious what would be a good size cam to run and get most out of it. Thanks
Do you know what spring rate you have on the springs? Are you driving this on the road often? The reason is that on a P Pumped set up depending on the how aggressive the cam is, and what exactly your doing with the truck, you may consider putting cam bearings in your block on all 7 journals. You also may want to go to a steel core as well. Also you can check out our cams as well. Running a 10% off right now.
Facebook: Nolimitmfg
Phone:715-384-4422

Old 11-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
jdweld12v

Member`s Gallery
I plan on driving it maybe once a week and go to a local pull if I feel like it. Just looking to have fun the motor is going to be put into a 91 1st gen something a little different. Thanks for input guys help needed

Old 11-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #13
EricStaab

Member`s Gallery
I think a cam around a 188 220 would work very good for you. With the p pump and spring pressure and some pulling I would recommend to have your block done for the cam bushings. Your on the that border line. Your going turn some extra rpm pulling the truck, and with extra spring pressure you could push past your oil film a little. Also it would be done now while your engine is apart, and if you upgrade, you do not have to worry about it.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #14
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricStaab View Post
Your on the that border line. Your going turn some extra rpm pulling the truck, and with extra spring pressure you could push past your oil film a little.
Could you up the oil pressure to help fight this? I know some have taken stock cams (some with complete stock bottom ends at that) to past 1000rwhp without hurting the cam. Thoughts?

Old 11-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #15
EricStaab

Member`s Gallery
Increasing the oil pressure, and using good oil will help, may even make it last a long time, and I know there will be people jumping all over me saying it is not needed, but I have seen enough failures to know that there is no exact formula for making it live there. Basically a person is gambling. I've seen 900 hp trucks run a long time no cam bushings, and then I have seen them completely eat the block. My thought is this, if you have the engine at the machine shop, already taken apart, spending the $400-$500 dollars to make it way more dependable is worth the effort. Plus if you upgrade even more, it is already done.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #16
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricStaab View Post
Increasing the oil pressure, and using good oil will help, may even make it last a long time, and I know there will be people jumping all over me saying it is not needed, but I have seen enough failures to know that there is no exact formula for making it live there. Basically a person is gambling. I've seen 900 hp trucks run a long time no cam bushings, and then I have seen them completely eat the block. My thought is this, if you have the engine at the machine shop, already taken apart, spending the $400-$500 dollars to make it way more dependable is worth the effort. Plus if you upgrade even more, it is already done.
That's a good point.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #17
jdweld12v

Member`s Gallery
Thanks guys going to put cam bushings in to save my ass thanks

Closed Thread