6.4 sequential or compounded turbo

malibu795

2wd numb nut
got in a debate about what het 6.4 actually is in turbo setup clasisfication
one says sequential
the following picture is a flow diagram of a sequetanial twin turbo setup it mainly used on gas engines to reduce lag (effect of large single) and high boost (effects of compounds)
2218_9mg.jpg

OT Cat calls their ACERT twins sequentail turbo... but you look at them both intake and exhaust flows is identical to a compound turbo setup.
i say its a compound turbo

closest thing i have found is this cut away pic which screams compound with the exhaust flow path. the down side is there is now showing how the air flow plumbing is routed
0708dp_01_z+2007_ford_diesel_emissions_standards+complete_turbo_system.jpg

pictures would be very helpful

The CAT would be true twins/bi-turbo setup.. there' no compounding going on. Note the valves on the exhaust and intake side of hte secondary. it looks as if all the cylinders push exhaust though the primary by default, I'm assuming to get the turbo to lite quicker with 100% of exhaust going though it. But once things are moving and more boost is needed, they essentially turn on the second turbo.. Neat idea.

the ford set is a compound setup. Just like "twins" on the dodges, not really twins but easier to say the compound turbo's

The CAT would be true twins/bi-turbo setup.. there' no compounding going on. Note the valves on the exhaust and intake side of hte secondary. it looks as if all the cylinders push exhaust though the primary by default, I'm assuming to get the turbo to lite quicker with 100% of exhaust going though it. But once things are moving and more boost is needed, they essentially turn on the second turbo.. Neat idea.
the 1st pic i posted is off a toyatta supra sequential turbo setup. that setup would allow for the quick spool respone that compound twins give without the high boost that comes with them. yep you got it figured out. though i have not seen this style of twins on a Cat engine.
the ford set is a compound setup. Just like "twins" on the dodges, not really twins but easier to say the compound turbo's

the ACERT C13/C12/C15 that are sitting in the shop at school are of traditional Compound style setup.

thanks PSD

So..... All that talk about 2 stock turbo..... Who's clever enough to figure out how to use 2 stock turbos based on the diagram up top?

Maybe something smaller then a stocker, something that will make 10psi at a 2500rpm idle, and say something in the neighborhood of 80mm. I bet there's aways of doing boost/drive pressure actuated valves.

2218_9mg.jpg

So..... All that talk about 2 stock turbo..... Who's clever enough to figure out how to use 2 stock turbos based on the diagram up top?

Maybe something smaller then a stocker, something that will make 10psi at a 2500rpm idle, and say something in the neighborhood of 80mm. I bet there's aways of doing boost/drive pressure actuated valves.

you talking about this diagrahm?

iirc toyota design it to elliminate turbo lag on thier high reving Supra engines

the earliest that i can find info on ai early 93 supras runing htem

not really sure what you are after jason..

found some mroe info that might help
There are also sequential twin turbo systems, which run on one small turbo at low engine speeds and switch to two parallel turbos at a predetermined engine speed and/or load.

Choosing between a single or parallel twin turbo setup is primarily based on packaging constraints in the engine bay, or a personal choice by the tuner. In most cases, for top performance, a single turbo is preferable because larger turbos are generally more efficient than smaller turbos. However, often there is not room for one large single, or the tuner wants the visual impact of twin turbos. The notion that two smaller turbos will build boost faster than one large turbo is not always accurate because even though the turbos are smaller, each one is only getting half of the exhaust flow. Sequential systems seem to have the capacity to support big power. In theory, the sequential twin turbo setup is a potent combination. A few O.E.s have produced systems of this type but control issues have proven significant, making them challenging to function seamlessly. One slight draw back to a sequential twin turbo system is that sometimes during daily driving (specifically, in cornering) if the driver is not constantly aware, the second turbo will spool and result in a lot of unpredicted power

dont know if this help or made it worse.....

Hi, I'm looking for a turbo system to my project and i found this forum really intersting, full of data and almost very clear in all ways, but i got just one and the most important doubt: How does it work???. I know a system like this is compounded by one large turbo feeding a smaller one, but how do I choose both turbos?. In my case, I'm planning to mount the system to a bike engine, not sure yet if it's gonna be a Yamaha R1 engine or a Susuki Hayabusa engine. Assuming 100hp on the engine (never being the actual power) and choosing a large turbo that could add 100hp more to the original power (again giving number just to show doubt), Iwold be having 200hp, now.. the smaller turbo, how many HP would produce?, would it add 50% extra to my 200hp givingthe result of 300hp, or would it give just 50% more power to the large trubo 100hp resultin in 250hp on the engine?. I know my numbers are not even close to what real ones could be, but I just want to get an idea of how mucho power I could produce with a compunded system. Knowing that a 1000cc bike engine produces about 160hp, with a compounded system would the engine Hit 400hp?, less?, more?, sure it all depends on the size of the turbos, but if I use big ones, could the displacement of the engine (1000cc or 1 liter as every one on this site knows) produce the amount of air flow needed by the turbos?.
Resuming everything... on a 1000cc engine that produces 160hp, how much more power in a very raw aproxximation could I squeeze from the engine using a compounded system?. Hope you guys can clear my doubts.In addition I want to thank and congratulate everyone on the very nice chat, all data has been really usefull.
...Sorry if I didn't express my self clearly, I'm from Mexcio and it's been a while since my last english writting.

Hi, I'm looking for a turbo system to my project and i found this forum really intersting, full of data and almost very clear in all ways, but i got just one and the most important doubt: How does it work???. I know a system like this is compounded by one large turbo feeding a smaller one, but how do I choose both turbos?. In my case, I'm planning to mount the system to a bike engine, not sure yet if it's gonna be a Yamaha R1 engine or a Susuki Hayabusa engine. Assuming 100hp on the engine (never being the actual power) and choosing a large turbo that could add 100hp more to the original power (again giving number just to show doubt), Iwold be having 200hp, now.. the smaller turbo, how many HP would produce?, would it add 50% extra to my 200hp givingthe result of 300hp, or would it give just 50% more power to the large trubo 100hp resultin in 250hp on the engine?. I know my numbers are not even close to what real ones could be, but I just want to get an idea of how mucho power I could produce with a compunded system. Knowing that a 1000cc bike engine produces about 160hp, with a compounded system would the engine Hit 400hp?, less?, more?, sure it all depends on the size of the turbos, but if I use big ones, could the displacement of the engine (1000cc or 1 liter as every one on this site knows) produce the amount of air flow needed by the turbos?.
Resuming everything... on a 1000cc engine that produces 160hp, how much more power in a very raw aproxximation could I squeeze from the engine using a compounded system?. Hope you guys can clear my doubts.In addition I want to thank and congratulate everyone on the very nice chat, all data has been really usefull.
...Sorry if I didn't express my self clearly, I'm from Mexcio and it's been a while since my last english writting.

TurboByGarrett.com - Turbo Tech101

Start reading

Back