Building a P-pump Common Rail

SPEEDSHIFT

I am starting to get parts together to build a P-pump Cr, and I was thinking of using 24v pistons so I will have a better selection of injectors. I have complete 12v, 24v, and Cr engines to piece together. What more will I need besides injector lines?

Thanks, Bodie:Cheer:

Are you building a 24v block and putting a CR head on it or are you going to run a CR head and block?

I would use the the 12v or 24v block and use a cr head. Then you dont have to mess with with custom gear and housomg for the cr block

Some of the holes half-line up, so any way you look at it you have to fill either the block or the gear cover, it's not like you can just machine new holes.

Wondering out loud if someone already has the files to CNC a toming case to run a P Pump on a CR block.

Is your CR block a HO? I've always thought that would be sweet to have 24v, oil cooling jets, and an inline pump...

I would use the. Cr block early 24valve head that does not have valve seat to drop out and injecto choices would be better keaton make a all aluminum front plate to bolt a p-pump up and. And use some 12valve rods. The cr block is a lot stronger that old ones

Keating has the gear cover.

You will need special injection lines or connecter tubes for a CR head, I think its the tubes.

you planning on a bolt on intake manifold or are you just gonna cut/clearance the stock cast intake manifold on the CR head. Lmills did a CR head on a 24v with p-pump and it requires a hole to be cut in the bottom of the intake manifold to clear the governor on the pump, you can either weld in a new plate for clearance or go all out and cut the whole intake off and build a tube style.

I hear you can make the cover fit a Cr it just takes some machining.
You can but the cover is only half the problem. With the 12v cover you need to machine the intake on head also. With the custom cover the pump is moved to clear the head. Also with the custom cover you can use all the CR accessories (power steering, A/C ect.) If you use the 12v cover you'll have to do some custom fabbing.

Home Page has the kit with out the injection pump I think that it is almost 5k thou.
5k is if you drop off your truck and have the conversion done and I believe is priced high to weed out the dickbeaters. If all you want is a cover and you swap your own gears, bend your own lines ect, the price is less I'm sure. I've helped Ted do a couple of these it's not a simple weekend swap like most people think. If you price it high enough you eliminate the "I can't decide if I want a programmer or a p-pump conversion" phone calls.:hehe:

Keating has the gear cover.

You will need special injection lines or connecter tubes for a CR head, I think its the tubes.

Have been told it is easier and cheaper to have a set of lines made to mate up to the CR tubes since the nuts are a lot smaller than the 24v ones. Actually I believe the tubes and the p-pump require the same fitting.

Some of the holes half-line up, so any way you look at it you have to fill either the block or the gear cover, it's not like you can just machine new holes.

Also if you put a 12 valve cover on a cr block the oil pan wont fit! It wasn't fun welding the front of a 12v pan onto a cr pan.:bang

And if you use a CR you will need the crank gear, cam gear, and I think the oil pump from a 12V or VP. And of cousre the p-pump specific pump gear.

CR's use straight cut bull gears, the older engines use helical cut gears.

Unless you want some insane power Id just use one of the older blocks.

If you want a 12v or 24V I'm going to see wha engines I have, I'll see if I can piece together one. I'd trade it in some fashion for your CR.

Thanks for all the input guys, I am going to try and stick with the cr block and head. I guess I just like it being different. This will be going in my 2wd truck I am building for pro-street.

As far as accessories go I wont have much, and probably use rack and pinion steering as well. I will be cutting off the intake and building a individual runner intake for it. Once I get enough pennies I will use a 13 or 14mm pump.

I spoke with John Robinson today and he told me some things to look out for in the process. Thanks again John!:rockwoot:

Back