Super He351 in "slow" progress

In terms of drive pressure with my HE351CW I would pull my TT up 6% grades, 55mph, at about 27-30 psi of boost and 40-50 psi of drive pressure. I swapped to a Garrett GT3782R and pull the same hills at 22-26 psi of boost and 18-20 psi of drive pressure, with lower EGT's and cooler IAT's. I also make about 70 rwhp more now, at the same EGT, 7 psi less boost, and 1/2 the drive pressure. While cruising empty I also get better mileage from the lack of drive pressure. The GT3782R compressor is only rated at 2 lb/min more, meaning all of those improvements are from decreasing the back-pressure and improving overall airflow thru the motor.

I also have a GT3782R Powermax which was designed to be a total bolt-in package to replace the stocker and thinking pretty serious about getting a stocker/475 compound setup from Anarchy Diesel and using the Garrett I have as the secondary since it is a direct replacement for the stocker. That way I can have the benefits listed above with the free-er flowing turbine side and also have the added air for when I am towing. And it should be a good driveable setup for DD too.

NC Firefighter, so if I understand correctly, you're putting in the same turbine wheel that the original OP did. I guess the machine shop he used was able to duplicate the radius with no issues?
Anyway, I've got a 351cw I'm gathering the parts together to put on a DD 12v. As I was working on porting out the wastegate and taking some of the ridges off the turbine housing I noticed that the turbine wheel has 2 blades that are a little different than the rest. They have a little dip in the middle of the inducer, and when I say little I measured it out to be about .75mm. Is this normal or do these two blades (they are both together) have just the beginnings of (heat?) erosion? If it is the start of erosion, is such a small amount worth worrying about? If this turbine is hosed, I'd like to do something to help it along when I get a replacement. Did I see where folks were saying there was a 70/60 turbine option available? I think I'd be more interested in that than the full 64mm set up, probably less machining issues as well. Thanks

NC Firefighter, so if I understand correctly, you're putting in the same turbine wheel that the original OP did. I guess the machine shop he used was able to duplicate the radius with no issues?
Anyway, I've got a 351cw I'm gathering the parts together to put on a DD 12v. As I was working on porting out the wastegate and taking some of the ridges off the turbine housing I noticed that the turbine wheel has 2 blades that are a little different than the rest. They have a little dip in the middle of the inducer, and when I say little I measured it out to be about .75mm. Is this normal or do these two blades (they are both together) have just the beginnings of (heat?) erosion? If it is the start of erosion, is such a small amount worth worrying about? If this turbine is hosed, I'd like to do something to help it along when I get a replacement. Did I see where folks were saying there was a 70/60 turbine option available? I think I'd be more interested in that than the full 64mm set up, probably less machining issues as well. Thanks

I did get the 76/64 turbine in, just not on my truck yet for any hard data. I did put it on a friends common rail though and so far it's doing well. Spool is almost identical to stock, and cruising boost is down a little. No drive pressure gauge though, so I can't comment on that till I get it back on my truck. My machine guy was able to bore the housing out no problem with plenty of room, but it looks like this is as big as you could go in a stock housing. I had it cut to 66mm, and a 3/16 radius fit the turbine perfectly.

As for the turbine wheel you have, I'd say it's starting to melt and I would replace it.

I did get the 76/64 turbine in, just not on my truck yet for any hard data. I did put it on a friends common rail though and so far it's doing well. Spool is almost identical to stock, and cruising boost is down a little. No drive pressure gauge though, so I can't comment on that till I get it back on my truck. My machine guy was able to bore the housing out no problem with plenty of room, but it looks like this is as big as you could go in a stock housing. I had it cut to 66mm, and a 3/16 radius fit the turbine perfectly.

As for the turbine wheel you have, I'd say it's starting to melt and I would replace it.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of going the 70/60mm route. Is BAE the only source for this? and is that a problem of it's own? They have it listed like the 70/60mm version is a drop in, is that correct? or I imagine a slight machining would be needed for the difference in the 58-60mm turbine exducer size. Also, I don't really plan on doing much else to my truck power wise (looking for most efficient mpgs....) So would the 76/64 be a little overkill for what I want or would it be more efficient cruising? Do you see any longevity issues with the 64mm wheel?

Turbo Re-Source also sells a 70x60 and does the machine work, unlike BAE.

It's the turbine I have mentioned several times in this thread, it works awesome.

If you want a quality built holset turbine wheel, just find an old WH1C from 93-95 era truck and pillage the 70/60 turbine wheel from it...

Thanks again for the ideas guys. Just got done removing the 'lip' from the slot area and rounding off the edge a little going into the volute area (I think I'm using the right terms!).
Any comments on removing the metal and grinder grit from the housing? Obviously I blew air through it and then used some brake cleaner, still seems to be some hanging around. Water hose with nozzle?

I'd just blow it out and call it good. It's on the exhaust side so it's not like it's going to end up in the engine or anything.

Probably start the switch to the HE351 this weekend. Got to thinking about these turbine wheels and I have a turbo theory question for you guys. Does the bigger turbine inducer slow/reduce flow compared to a smaller inducer? Like the 60/70 wheel..... you'd get slightly more flow from the +2mm exducer, but wouldn't the 70mm inducer slow the higher rpm flow some while helping the turbo spool quicker at lower rpms?

Also i only have one he351 to play with but had a he341 center section sitting here. The major dia. or the 351 wheel is bigger then the 341, so i machined it to fit the 351 wheel.
1349829449.jpg

So if one were to plan on doing the same as your setup, a 60/76 comp and 10-blade 64/76 turbine; Could an he341 be used as the donor turbo.

Are there any differences in the exhaust housings? Those seem easier to find and much cheaper.

And as stated earlier, if used in compounds (with a gt4202) what would be the ideal turbine inducer/exducer and blade count in order to flow best but not give up much spool?

Back