Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #41
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldestof11 View Post
So the cam is not installed according to the manufacturers recommendation and you are complaining about it?
Um were does it say the cam wasnt installed correctly?

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 04-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #42
ILLINOISRAM

Name: ILLINOISRAM
Title: INLINE INSANITY
Member`s Gallery
I told Disturbed in a pm that I apologize for the call out of him directly when a lot of what I was thinking was in response to a lot of the recent event. With his obvious opinion of Zach as stated in that paragraph and then this thread which Zach offers to help but the customer just wants his money back which tells me there is no need for this thread unless to jab Zach some more which should not be done by vendors, sponsors or moderators in my opinion which does apply to Zach also.

So that's where I come from.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #43
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
I offered to tear it down and cut the pistons and he didnt want to do it. I posted here to get info and to show my findings not to fight. I was acctually hoping that a bunch of people had checked PTV on this cam but it seems not many have and the ones that have are in the same boat

Old 04-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #44
ILLINOISRAM

Name: ILLINOISRAM
Title: INLINE INSANITY
Member`s Gallery
I thought the 181/210 was the drop in cam? Is it not? Since it would not work I can see the need to go a different route but I'm cant help but read this and see the anti Hamilton cams vibe. If I hadn't of read that other thread then maybe I would have just skipped it. Hopefully you get your customer taken care of and all is good no matter which way you go. I really liked me Scheid drop in street cam for a regrind and they are not to badly priced either.

Tim

Old 04-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #45
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
They dont make the 181 any more just this 188

Old 04-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #46
fox

Name: fox
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
I will degree it today but you are selling this cam as a "drop in". If the cam is suppose to be set with the center line at 99 then why isnt all the key ways ground to be set at 99?????? Point is if your going to sell it as one thing it better be that. Not well its suppose to be here but over there will have to do.
Are you expecting the cam grinder to be responsible for a crank key slot or crank gear slot or cam gear slot if they are off a little? you could have a stack up of errors that cause an issue. This is what Zack is concerned about and NO-ONE knows what is in YOUR engine until you check it.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #47
Spooler

Name: Spooler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox View Post
Are you expecting the cam grinder to be responsible for a crank key slot or crank gear slot or cam gear slot if they are off a little? you could have a stack up of errors that cause an issue. This is what Zack is concerned about and NO-ONE knows what is in YOUR engine until you check it.
Exactly, this is what he wants to find out so this issue won't happen again. He just wants to get to the root of the issue because he is proud of his work and wants it to be perfect, which is a very rare thing these days. So call and talk to the man.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #48
9724VF350

Name: 9724VF350
Title: Tractor Guy
Member`s Gallery
I've seen a few engines with the crank gear dowel partially sheared to where you don't notice it until you start looking for it.

That pissy little dowel pin deal is beyond pathetic.

Wife's ride-03 Excursion 12V swap in the works.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #49
cumminstroked

Name: cumminstroked
Member`s Gallery
I think DISTURBED was more interested in finding some other PTV clearance measurements to compare and discuss what could be going on with what he is working with other than someone assuming that what he has will not work...

Hey DISTURBED did you by chance measure the PTV clearance on the exhaust valve too? Did you also just check the intake at 10 ATDC or did you check at 5* and 15* by chance?

F350 lariat 4x4 2008 6.4l

F250SD 4x4 5.9L 12V 6speed with a few aftermarket parts.

Last edited by cumminstroked; 04-09-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #50
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Icl 97.25
Zach said it needs to be at 99* or did I get confused on what he posted?

Posted via Velocity LG ALLY

Old 04-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #51
ldiesel

Name: ldiesel
Title: Clint
Member`s Gallery
to respond to your guestion the 188/220s that have put in have been very tight and needed moved around to get clearance I think the last one was 96.75 icl I backed it up and opened the lash to get 25 thou ptv and called it good after talking to my customer. but I know when I buy a 188/220 that it will be tight and pushes the limits of what will fit. I does amaze me the number idiots in this industry that put parts like this in and don't check anything I refuse to install any cam for a customer without degreeing it and checking ptv. as for your customer its his own falt and should stop complaining he bought a cam that pushes the limits and it didn't go as planned if he wanted no hicups he should have bought a smaller cam.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #52
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
For those of you that posted PTV clearence on this cam thank you. Im locking this thread since nobody wants to post results but would rather **** up a thread that could have good info for others that might buy these cams and run into problems. If some other find info pm me please if you would like but this one is done.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #53
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Per Zach's request i am going to reopen this since he thinks im running a smear campaign on him. I redegreed the cam and as i figured 2 degrees made little difference. I degreed the cam from the 97.25 to the 99 like you wanted and its still to tight. I have plenty of off set keys here. I put a 2* key in. The PTV went from .002 to .020 on the intake and the exhaust were in the .030 range. Still to tight. You dont want the truth out so im done. I am boxing it up and you can sell it to some one else. I actually checked it at every degree and will post it tomorrow when i get back to the shop what it is.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #54
BowtiedCTD

Name: BowtiedCTD
Title: CHIVE ON
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Per Zach's request i am going to reopen this since he thinks im running a smear campaign on him. I redegreed the cam and as i figured 2 degrees made little difference. I degreed the cam from the 97.25 to the 99 like you wanted and its still to tight. I have plenty of off set keys here. I put a 2* key in. The PTV went from .002 to .020 on the intake and the exhaust were in the .030 range. Still to tight. You dont want the truth out so im done. I am boxing it up and you can sell it to some one else. I actually checked it at every degree and will post it tomorrow when i get back to the shop what it is.
Everyone is out to get him, not post facts and prevent costly repairs because a salesman doesn't want the facts out in the public eye. Thanks for the information you are getting from your install Disturbed.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #55
rockjeep73

Name: rockjeep73
Member`s Gallery
Installed a 188/220 in my brothers truck. 98.25* centerline, stock valve depth (didnt measure it), stock piston protrusion (didnt measure), standard thickness headgasket. Valve to piston clearance came in right around .040", I was told I would be fine with as little as .030"

Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #56
Charger

Name: Charger
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
.040 off isnt even close to being a drop in

by the number decking is irrelevant

stock

Stock gear set straight up. You sent me this cam a month ago that a customer bought and had drop shipped to me. Somebody there sold him this cam as a "drop in" and the customer was told reliefs were not needed but as we can see they need them. He doesnt want to cut the pistons and thats why he wanted a drop in cam
Disturbed, you are a third party to the actual sale of the cam, you weren't there and don't know what was said to your customer, do you? You seem to be playing catchup as the thread unfolds. For a regular member to act as you are, would be normal, but for a moderator to put forth hearsay as evidence, when the correct method of installing is easily available in writting (as shown) or a phone call away, and closing the thread!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #57
lenahan05

Name: lenahan05
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
this post has me wondering...regaurdless of whos cam it is...zac or someone elses....i sure would want to know a cam thats sold as a "drop in" thats been degreed in correctly after the fact and is still tight should be made known to the public PERIOD. i'm a neutral poster on here and have bought zacs stuff before. if i liked it or not is besides the fact. the fact is simple. someone is selling a cam that is way to tight. that is of course ASSUMING these tolerances were done correctly and not bias. i have no reason to think why they would be. no one in their right mind will spend there own time trying to make money and save a customer money just to post BS IMO. i bet any truck 4500rpm and up with this cam and same engine specs (stock) pulls their motor apart and it's touched valves every hole ASSUMING all this info is legit. all the other arguing and drama is irrelevant to me. i know i'd be a little aggravated. i've always wondered what real tolerances could be had with a drop in of this size. i dont know why guys dont just add more lobe lift and back off duration. in my personal experience they run way better as a drop in cam that way. just my

Old 04-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #58
Charger

Name: Charger
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Im not talking ****! Ive built enough engines in my life to know when something is wrong. I dont need a salesman to tell me im doing something wrong or I phucked up when in fact its cam that is wrong. I asked a question if anybody else has seen this problems. If you dont like it you can go nut swing some were else.
So you know everything, the cam company knows nothing, and anyone who asks you a question, is a nut swinger, does that about sum it up

Old 04-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #59
RonA

Name: RonA
Member`s Gallery
It's odd that this is being called a drop in cam. I bought mine early last year and was told to check it closely because it was a tight fit. I opted from the beginning to just put some .035 reliefs in to be safe. I hope to have the piston to valve numbers tomorrow.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #60
cbtoyz

Name: cbtoyz
Title: Vaginatarian
Member`s Gallery
I was told the same thing. I checked, and it fits fine with my set up.

Ponci's Diesel Center
(707) 725-3307

Goerend Transmissions Inc.
(563) 778-2719

Hamilton Cams
(512) 778-9418

Dynomite Diesel Products Inc.
(360) 794-5732

Closed Thread