Poor Radio Reception in Garage

JD3020

As the title says, i have ****ty FM reception in the garage. The garage is attached to the house, and where the radio sits its in the far back corner of the garage that backs up to the living room in the house. Its a big "tuner" or whatever you wanna call it, older model that was free to me. It didn't come with an antennae but had a spot in the back for one, so i grabbed piece of speaker wire i had laying around and shoved in there, and called it good. It picks up about 5 channels fairly well, but i'm tired of being limited to a couple channels.

So what can i do to increase the FM reception?

There are fm antenna available that mount like your old Tv ones,
Or built onto the Tv ones, they work great!

Need more area on the wire, either longer or attach larger piece of tinfoil.. That's how i roll and it works great!

I was going to suggest turning your building into your antenna, but I assume the siding is not metal since it is attached to the house. If that is the case, get it to the gutters and attach it there, they should be aluminum and work well.

Thats what i did, my roof is my antenna.

Posted to not CumminsForum via not autoguide for iphone.

The house is brick but i'm pretty sure the gutters are aluminum. Only problem is i'm not sure how i want to run the wires out there. Not really a clean way to run a wire out there though and it'd end up getting ripped off the house somehow.

Now what if i added some to the end tinfoil and ran it across the garage and put it in the windowsill of an exterior window? That is something that i can easily do.

I had the same issue in mine, the static was bad on every station. I was cleaning up my work bench one day and my antenna fell off the shelf on to an old pinion gear I had laying there...and the radio station automatically went from fuzzy to crystal clear! For some reason, that pinion gear is acting like a giant antenna.....so now my antenna is wrapped around the pinion gear and sitting on the window sill. LOL

Back