Pump gear stuck

RGHodges

So I was in the process of removing my pump to have it benched. Everything went well until I tried to bust the gear loose and found it to be stuck. I have broke one bolt and pulled the threads off 2 more using the puller. Tried hitting the puller with a hammer and it didn't budge. Is there anything else I can do short of pulling the front cover to get this gear off? I have never had one to be such a pain to remove before. In the past it has always popped loose fairly easily. Any tips?

You could try heating the gear up and then pulling it. I would try just a map gas or propane torch and see if that works. I think a oxy / acy torch would get the gear to hot and mess up the heat treat.

Probably at work under a truck, Tapatalk 2

Agreed. Put your puller on it, load it up as high as you're willing to go, then heat the gear. Best to heat from the outside in.

Ok thanks a lot guys. I'll try heating it and see how it goes. If not I guess the front end will come off so I can get a better swing on the puller.

Thanks. Is it pretty safe to heat around it being coated in oil...I don't want to burn the truck to the ground Haha.

Once when I pulled my gear off my vp44, I hade a homemade puller that was just a simple 1/2 in peice of flat steel with a nut welded to the center with a bolt to tighten up on the end of the shaft, and a hole at each end to bolt to the gear.

I couldnt get the gear to budge at all so I stuck a tire iron inbetween the center bolt of the puller and the end of the pump shaft and tapped with a hammer and it came right off. just a thought to go on.

94adam, that is a good idea. I might try making a puller like you described. That way I can pry against it like you did.

Back