Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #21
SWALLDOG

Name: SWALLDOG
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
my buddie and i played around with how to re-machine the holes. no matter how we rotated it at least 4 holes intersected. 2 on each side. so i welded in 4 of the 10 holes. 2 on each side. figured that would be the best.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:48 AM   #22
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
now we are on to the maching of the hub. the cast machines pretty easy. the second hub turned out alot better that the first one that i machined. i machined the first one and them welded in the holes then had to re-machine the outside again. oh and the weld is hard! carbide is required to machine that. when i was machining the new holes i could just use a 5/8" end mill or drill bit and it worked perfect but the ones that overlaped with the weld a drill bit would not even touch it! had to use a carbide end mill.

also had to build these tool holders. the end mill would not reach to go through the flange. the quill would hit the top of the hub first. not the best tool holders but they work just fine for plunge cuts.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #23
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
here is the hub all machined. had to turn it down small enough to get the stock dodge rotors to fit over it.

left to right. stock dodge dana 80 hub, machined 10 lug hub, stock 10 lug hub. look at the diffrence in the bearing size. :shock:

the two 10 lug dana 80 hubs before and after machining.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:51 AM   #24
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
after i got the hubs all machined it was on to making brackets for the brakes. i cut them out of a piece of 3/4" plate with a band saw then torched a center hole.

after getting them all cut out i was back to the lathe. bored out the center hole and then faced the front. i took the plate from 0.750" (3/4) to 0.625" (5/8) thick with a 0.125" (1/8) step to center the backing plate on. then drilled the 4 holes to mount the backing plate.

then it was time for a test fit. perfect!

after that i trimed down the bracket so it was not so bulkey and to clear the caliper.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #25
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
i was going to machine some plate to make a spacer that that would just clamp between the hub and the brake bracket so i could weld it in place. the center hole was machined pretty close to to the size on the axle tubing. figured it would center it really well. then my buddie said i should just machine a spacer out of tube that fits over the lip on the flange and in the step in the hub. then it would be perfectly centered. :headbang: got some 5" OD 1/2" wall DOM tubing and cut a chunk off.

spacer all machined.

test fit

installed and clamped with backing plate tacked in place

all welded up. one pass on the out side and three passses on the inside. the inside of the plate had a big bevel machined in it to get some good penitration. all welds were done in sections and alowed to cool before the next pass. dont want any thing warping. :thumbsup:

Old 11-20-2009, 06:53 AM   #26
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
this is just a pic of me makin some set up carrier bearings for the dana 80. when my friend and i were going to set up the ring and pinion, well let me back up. so this 10 lug dana 80 had new carrier, 4.10 gears and bearings, but when i pulled it all apart i knew that it was not set up right. it was pretty bad. so i bought a shim kit so we could re-set up the gears. well when we started to pull the carrier bearings off things got worse. the bearings looked new but the races were defiantly old. same with the front pinion bearing and the pinion dam was all bent up. so i ordered a full install kit. new bearings and all. :thumbsup: so with the old carrier bearings, that were still new, i polished out the inside so they would just barley slide on the carrier. that way i dont have to press them on and off when changing shims. then once its set up press the good bearings on. :thumbsup:

Old 11-20-2009, 06:56 AM   #27
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
my buddie cut me out some spring perches on his plas table. turned out pretty slick.

all welded up on the axle.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #28
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
hubs painted ready to install. arty018:

Old 11-20-2009, 07:02 AM   #29
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
the last thing (for now) that i'm working on, to get it back on the road, is the wheel speed sensor. i drilled a hole in the housing before i got all the gears installed. today (guess it would be yesterday now) i got the block all machined that holds the sensor in place. forgot to take some pics. but today after i get home from work and get some sleep, i should have it welded on. then i can throw the axle in and take it for a burn! :headbang:

Old 11-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #30
kalder

Name: kalder
Title: Kevin Alder
Member`s Gallery
Wow! Nice work!

03 3500

Old 11-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #31
jackblack99

Name: jackblack99
Member`s Gallery
thats sweet man. good job!

Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #32
milldog

Name: milldog
Title: Yup...
Member`s Gallery
I need to buy some more tools!!! First off a lathe...

Old 11-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #33
jordanjames81

Name: jordanjames81
Member`s Gallery
nice fab work
Amsoil oil Dealer
AirDog Fuel Systems
Farmer's Machine
AutoMeter Gauges
AFE Power
Check us out on FaceBook
Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Old 11-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #34
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalder View Post
Wow! Nice work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackblack99 View Post
thats sweet man. good job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanjames81 View Post
nice fab work
THANKS! its finally comming together.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #35
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
well if i was not at work right now she would be on the road! so hopfully tomorrow i can get her drivin :headbang: this is what i got done today. finished machining the block to hold the wheel speed sensor and got it welded on. from what i understand the sensor should not be more than 0.020" from the click wheel? well i put it at about 0.012", hope thats not to close. i should say it just worked out being 0.012". it was about 0.018 - 0.020" when i tacked it on the housing, then after it was all welded up it ended up at 0.012. so put some paint on it and my buddie and i took the axle back over to my house. now its just sitting under the back of my truck waiting to be bolted up! :thumbsup:

Old 11-21-2009, 05:16 AM   #36
Chevycummins

Name: Chevycummins
Title: Bad case of Tinkeritis!
Member`s Gallery
nice work. got some pretty good fab skills. wish i had time to do something like that with my cummins conversion.

could you not use like a pop can or something and cut you out a couple shims to space that back to your 0.020???

Old 11-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #37
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
so she is on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i got the new axle installed today and then drove it to work tonight. its 40 miles to work so thats a start to getting the gears broken in. drives nice, the 4.10's dont have the speed that the 3.54's did with the 37" tires but prolly a good thing for me. some times i dirve a little to fast. : i'm really excided to see how it tows. dont know when that will be, maybe not till april. down to moab for the easter jeep safari.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:47 AM   #38
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevycummins View Post
nice work. got some pretty good fab skills. wish i had time to do something like that with my cummins conversion.

could you not use like a pop can or something and cut you out a couple shims to space that back to your 0.020???
thanks man! yeah pop can for custom shims is a great idea. i just stuck 2 small pinion shims in there for now. kinda geto but i wanted to get it on the road. worked for today.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #39
JFlagg

Name: JFlagg
Title: Gun for Hire
Member`s Gallery
Thats some nice machine work and fabbing you did there! I think the 37 spline is a good upgrade for the D80's. That, along with the bigger bearings and 4.10's should make for a great rearend for a tow rig. Now the next question is, when are you doing the 4.10's in the front? Or did you do that at the same time, but didn't mention it since it didn't require any fancy fab work?

Old 11-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #40
Goinbyyabig

Name: Goinbyyabig
Title: Free Thinker, Innovator
Member`s Gallery
X2 on the "I need to buy some more tools", having access to the lathe, bridgeport, welders, etc. is nice but only part of the game. You have some excellent fab and machining skills man, takes brains as well for that stuff to come out right and last, keep us posted!!

Closed Thread