What can you adjust with TPS

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
My 1995 Dually 47rh has been acting up lately. After putting a new transmission in it just over a year ago I had my throttle position sensor fail. I put a new one on from advance auto parts and after 6-8 months it started doing the same thing. While cruising it will drop in and out of overdrive.

If your cruising at lets say 45-60 and you decide to let off the throttle for a brief second, it will down shift and unlock the converter. The RPM's will go from roughly 1,800 range all the way up to 2,400 when it downshifts.

The other issue is if your cruising in overdrive it will up-shift,downshift constantly UNLESS your on the throttle accelerating that will stop the downshift issue .

I've never tried to adjust the TPS. I know it has slotted holes but wasn't sure what will happen if I rotate it slightly one way or the other. I was assuming it will make it **** earlier or later but not fix the cruising issue I'm having correct?

Derek Rose makes a potentiometer that replaces the TPS. Works awesome. About $50. dnrcustoms.com
I've put tens of thousands of miles on my truck since replacing the tps and never had a moments problem with it.

Last edited:
nevermind I found his TPS delete. But on a side not would it be a good idea to get a APPS noise isolator as well?

You don't have a apps. 24 valve vp44 stuff

Gotcha. Just saw on the "description" it said 1994-05 so that made me think it could have been for my truck. Must have been a typo on his end.

Just ordered the TPS delete from DNR. Can't wait to try it out

The tps's on these truck are very finicky. You have to have closed throttle voltage as close to .68 volts as possible, modifying the bracket is sometimes necessary. The center of the bell crank(where the cable snaps in the ball) to the bracket needs to be 5" a 1/16 off is ok either way. Having the TV cable adjusted properly to about 1/8" of play at the trans and full throttle. PCM grounds are also an issue, what we do is open up re harness a little ways up towards the top of the cowel there should be a splice in there Black and Tan wires usually. Cut the splice off and run both end straight back to the battery ground with 10ga wire. Also make sure to check AC ripple on the alternator and if it's noisy replace it with an OE unit. The ground by the alternator should be rerouted up around the alternator onto the fan shroud works well.

Back