extreme rebuild kit....HELP

SLVRBullet

so my local shop has the task of rebuilding my trans, i already had a billet single & an HTS vb. So last week the strut band or whatever broke. I ordered the suncoast extreme rebuild kit, billet input & billet flex plate. The mechanic called me this afternoon stating that the truck would only shift from 1-2 would not shift to third/od. He also told me that he had some "extra " clutches/plates left over from the rebuild, seems he thought it was to tight trying to get all of them in there or something.....

so i`m no tranny guy at all so i`m asking you guys this:

with the kit & the increased clutch count doesn`t it make sence that it would be a little more difficult getting all back in there? Does he need a press or something after all the clutches/steals are installed to compress them in order to re-install the snap ring???? i`m guess with the increased clutch count etc that is why he is saying its too tight for all of them to fit, but my guess is it needs all of them to allow it to shift otherwise it would be a "loose" not enough friction to shift sympton.....maybe?

He has done tons of stock rebuilds but this is the first rebuild of this type.

I`m lost i really need some input that i can pass along before he tears into it again on Monday.

I know someone has the knowledge & can help me out.

Thanks Alot

Tranny Guru`s i need your help....please.

so my local shop has the task of rebuilding my trans, i already had a billet single & an HTS vb. So last week the strut band or whatever broke. I ordered the suncoast extreme rebuild kit, billet input & billet flex plate. The mechanic called me this afternoon stating that the truck would only shift from 1-2 would not shift to third/od. He also told me that he had some "extra " clutches/plates left over from the rebuild, seems he thought it was to tight trying to get all of them in there or something.....

so i`m no tranny guy at all so i`m asking you guys this:

with the kit & the increased clutch count doesn`t it make sence that it would be a little more difficult getting all back in there? Does he need a press or something after all the clutches/steals are installed to compress them in order to re-install the snap ring???? i`m guess with the increased clutch count etc that is why he is saying its too tight for all of them to fit, but my guess is it needs all of them to allow it to shift otherwise it would be a "loose" not enough friction to shift sympton.....maybe?

He has done tons of stock rebuilds but this is the first rebuild of this type.

I`m lost i really need some input that i can pass along before he tears into it again on Monday.

I know someone has the knowledge & can help me out.

Thanks Alot

He needed to leave the wave snap ring out of clutch pack(not sure which one I'll look at my notes) and also you need a machined pressure plate as well(again I'll look and see for location on notes) I asked them why they didn't include this or recommend it and they said not all builds use it. I guess it depends on year of trans.

Last edited:
U can't compress them more to make them fit. There are different snap ring thicknresses etc

Have you tranny tech call the shop and ask to speak to Ernie or SL, that's definately not a middle man (me) question. We open up at 9 monday morning...

You buy them modified. Look at transmissioncenter.com there website will show you pictures of one and you can buy them from the website.

Chris

so is the machined reaction plate the only thing i`m gonna need? i had someone PM me & tell me i need to buy a whole new direct drum in order for it to work out......ugh i`m so confused.

i looked on the patc website & noticed they mention you can install 7 clutches & 6 steels with no modification the the factory drum????

so the machined reaction plate is required to be able to install all the the supplied clutches & steels correct?

I wonder why then if he only put the stock amount back into the trans why its not operating correctly then.....any thoughts?

so is the machined reaction plate the only thing i`m gonna need? i had someone PM me & tell me i need to buy a whole new direct drum in order for it to work out......ugh i`m so confused.

You DONT need a direct drum upgrade for the amount you recieved in your kit!!!!!

i looked on the patc website & noticed they mention you can install 7 clutches & 6 steels with no modification the the factory drum????

so the machined reaction plate is required to be able to install all the the supplied clutches & steels correct?

I wonder why then if he only put the stock amount back into the trans why its not operating correctly then.....any thoughts?
well that doesnt mean that that is the problem, However the factory frictions and steels are a diffrent thickness than the ones included in the extreme kit ....

^^^^^ gotcha now its becoming clear to me... thats why i need the machined reaction plate so that at least i can get the clutches installed correctly. THANK YOU.

Back