Advice on towing with 06 3500 Duramax.

Mine has efi tunes w/dsp-5 switch and a banks intercooler with the boost cooler and snow water meth. If you run too big of a tune it will get hot bottom line. With my tow tunes 50hp and 80hp both with a turbo brake stays below 1250° even on longer grades. The best upgrade I made was upgrading my fan clutch to a hayden 2850. My engine temps don't climb when it's hot and I'm pulling heavy.

Gm used to say 1300 sustained and 1400 up to 5 minutes is fine, pre turbo. If its 1300 I wouldn't even think twice about it. But I think he would be a lot happier with the performance of a good efi tune.

I have 250k on my Dmax complete stock tranny.. Running a superchip on tow/performance I straight piped the exhaust.. And that's all.. And it's always towing a 15000 -20000 gooseneck trailer.. I'm sure the egt's have ran high on mine but she still runs like a champ..

Ditch the edge. A tow tune with a turbo brake scripted into it will be enough to make him wish he never messed with the edge. I personally like the edge insight for monitoring purposes. Like EVERYONE says Start with the EFI live, its the best thing he can do, and remind him that he can write it off on his taxes since he works with the truck. Then possibly take a serious look at towing twins. A complete kit that puts an S400 over the stock charger is around $3500 and are very tow friendly.

Manifolds/up pipes and a water/meth kit lower egts and both are in the same price range as efi-live, and and less than a turbo. A downpipe is the cheapest, and helps with egts as well.

Back