he351 install w/ pics

diesel_importer

There may already be a better write up, but here's the way we did it.

I installed a he351 on a my buddies 93 a few weeks ago. I didn't take step by step pics, but I do have a few. We made the intercooler piping from exhaust. I forgot the size but, it was the same size and the intercooler inlet. We used a mandrel bent pipe coming off the turbo, then a 90* silicone boot to connect to the intercooler.

We installed 4" turbo back exhaust, cut the flange off the downpipe, and welded a he351 flange on it.

1- 4" 45* intake boot and 1-4.5" 45* with bushing to connect the turbo to the ICEBOX intake.

I wanted the wastegate to stay operational, this is the reason the piping crosses over the intake. I seperated the 3 sections of the turbo to get the center-section level, so the oil feed and return would all line up.

He has: Denny T stage 2 pin, piston lift pump, 3200 gsk, and timing bumped. The turbo spools quick and the truck runs great. I think injectors are really gonna make this truck bad @$$.

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

Looks good! Did you just weld the wastegate hole shut or are you using a boost elbow? What kind of boost are you seeing from it?

--Eric

How much boost is the truck producing? Just curious as to how good that 90* boot is going to hold up to pressure..

And if I see it right you didn't clock the housing because you wanted to keep the waste gate operational?
Good looking install!

Yes the wastegate is fully operational and is ported to 1" diameter. I removed the solenoid, gutted it and threaded it back in to plug the hole, but it allows boost to the actuator. So it operates just like any other wastegate. Not sure on boost #s , I think around 30 psi

great write up looks killer im about to start the same swap on my 92 and was curious on the dowm pipe part , did you use the cast elbow off the he351 or does the flange clamp to the housing ?

This is my truck and about the boost it was run 15 to 20 psi when we started but after we put a neddle valve in it when to 30psi and the 90 boots are holding right now.

What boost #'s are typical of the he351? I'm looking for a decent stock upgrade for the tired H1C on my 93 d350

We have a needle valve in the wategate line right now. With it closed off, it's boosting between 30-35 psi. After the injectors go in, we'll probably play with the wastegate and keep it under 40.

Back