Oh the new 6.7

curtrwall

Welp I love my new 6.7 but I'm headed down to Cummins in Colubus tomorrow to do a little research on the new cluster f$%#$ of an exhaust system. I took my new "350hp" 6.7 to the ts's outlaw event the other weekend. Just to dyno it bone stock. While i was in line it went into regen. I figured oh well right still dyno it...... hahahah. Turns out it derates itself when the dpf is full. They weren't kinding. It put down a sad 160hp. I have been in touch with Cummins ever since and we are working on the problem tomorrow. Hope to put down a little better number than 160.

The torque was around 380. Numbers should have been around 280-290, 550-600. I'm gonna try and run it again this weekend in indy. Proly through TS's chip on it too.... see what it does.

Wow. I hope it doesn't go into "regen" while pulling a trailer down the road. That would suck. Does having it loaded and burning more fuel because of that keep it clean so it won't "derate" itself while loaded? I would be wizzed if I just bought a new fancy smancy cummin's and had it act like that. Good luck.

From talking with the service manager of the local dealer, when the truck goes into regen it needs to get above 55mph to clear out. My guess is to get enough heat to blow it all out of the DPF. He really didn't know and I'm just guessing LOL LOL

He also mentioned they are about to start cracking down on idle time with warranty claims, i.e., if you let it sit and idle for long periods, and wind up with a burnt piston, you are SOL.

Sounds like it's time to go gas on a new truck. If you can't idle it, can't run without it freaking out on you and the milage seems to be dropping with all the extra BS on them, why bother? I guess I'll just stick happily with my 12V until it it worn out beyound repair.

George

Billysgoat said:
He also mentioned they are about to start cracking down on idle time with warranty claims, i.e., if you let it sit and idle for long periods, and wind up with a burnt piston, you are SOL.

If they'd just leave all this extra bull shizzle of the dang things they wouldn't be having these problems. Motor, mechanical pumps, and "go" pedal. That is all we need. No more problems.

It won't hurt the turbo as loog as it's cool. I think it's the deformation Cummins worries about. like...heads warping, pistions growing, rings twisting parts drag'n on parts (low oil) that kind'a stuff.

it's all emissions, they're just trying to figure out ways around it is all. It's not exactly something they're happy about either.

dont mean to hi-jack but, i think the emisson stuff is :homo: , but when the pdf burns off or what ever it does isnt it putting out the same gases that a normal truck would, not just a visible?

we have been working on a good bit of 6.7 performance stuff, and it includes.

better turbo's, injectors, DL's, pressure boxes, and tranny work, some are avilible and most are not quite ready. in the next month,maybe two the 6.7 will be running 12 seconds no problem, meyself and the companies that are willing to make products are moving this truck progressively forward.

for now it seems as a holdback, and it is for now, but givin time will allow the end user to see the full extent of the 6.7. i belive the 6.7 "is" the new power plant for those who wish to make lots of power, but time will tell.

Back