Is a Cam worth it.....the remix+Data

Joesixpack

Pull'n it.
First up, Loaded pulls timed sweep 6 seconds. Hamilton 188/220 VS Stock common rail cam.
Hamilton pulls start earlier from 2800+ stock 2700+
Identical tune.

HamiltonVSStocker.jpg

HamiltonVSStockerboostdrive.jpg

HamiltonVSStockertemps.jpg

Next up

Transient response, inertia only no loading what so ever. Light roll to Boot.

Built a tune for specifically hitting a light load hard, throwing a pile of heat at the chargers for max spool. HP starting from almost nothing.

Max boost considerably lower than loaded pulls, just not enough load to get right on top of the chargers but still should have made a good comparison.

Identical tune.

Data 123 stock cam, Data 124 188/200

Again the Hamilton sweep line beginning a little sooner. A tiny edge that was only made once...any repeat pulls pretty much followed the stocker's sweep.

HamiltonVSStockertransient.jpg

hamiltonVSStockertransienttemps.jpg

HamiltonVSStockertransientpressures.jpg

HOWEVER ***
Found that the little bit of exhaust that leaks from my waste gate actuator was plugging my air filter.

Both tests above with the same filter.

Removed the filter and made a pull without.

HamiltonVSStockertransientNOfilter.jpg

I'm pretty confident had the air filter been removed the stock cam would have followed pretty much the same line.

Analysis:

Peak boost has dropped by about 10 pounds, cool. Lost some egt's, cool.

Horsepower.....NIL! where's the beef?

Transient response?? Where's the spool? I made a pile of HP maxing the tune to hit that light roll, and the cam swap made DICK.

Discussion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats why I'm still running a stocker. Not seen enough good out of them to justify it.

Last edited:
huuuuuh.

I recall graphs from hamilton showing sooner spool, not necessarily more power.... Could the hardware be fixing a software problem in the dodge world, something you fixed in software with your standalone?

I did a before and after a year or 2 ago between a Helix 2 and a 181/210. Peak hp was nearly identical but there was a big difference in bottom end and mid range. Mines a slow spooler with a p-pump and on the dynojet it was hard to get the chargers up and running. comparison graph is here somewhere.

Possibly. Here's a comparison to my daily driver tune same inertia only, with only a roll in no load.

Hot tune on top, regular tune on the bottom. Load is practically gone before the chargers hit.

Hottune2vsdaily.jpg

Put about half a day into spiking that inertia roll and built a hell of a hot tune, and would have thought a cam would have compounded it......:bang

I'll make another pull comparing the regular tune.

Still!!... loose ten pounds boost and have nothing to show for it? Other than my boost to HP ratio is getting closer to Ron's!!

My drive pressure is still out of hand, I might ***** out that internal gate some more and see if bypassing more gas nets anything.

Last edited:
Here's the Tom foolery behind the hot tune to spike that light load.....don't try this at home and without steel pistons.......:hehe:

Tomfoolery.jpg

I've buried my 2k pyro at the 1/8 and stayed in it through the 1/4 traps.....my aluminum pistons are work hardened. LOL

The main benefit I see with my 181/210 is with spool. I don't know how it is in y'alls parts, but here in the dead of summer you hear more than half the people complain about not being to get on top of their chargers. I've never once had a problem getting on my 66/480 twins. Not once. That makes the cam worth it IMHO.

Wow, i'll be keeping my eye on this thread. .

Imho there are far more effective, easier, and safer ways to achieve earlier spool than by opening the exhaust valve earlier and loosing the last portion of expansion against the piston to spool the turbo faster.

Last edited:
I've buried my 2k pyro at the 1/8 and stayed in it through the 1/4 traps.....my aluminum pistons are work hardened. LOL

The main benefit I see with my 181/210 is with spool. I don't know how it is in y'alls parts, but here in the dead of summer you hear more than half the people complain about not being to get on top of their chargers. I've never once had a problem getting on my 66/480 twins. Not once. That makes the cam worth it IMHO.

It used to be a smoky pig spooling when I had flux's and the smarty. With the stand alone and big stix I can just spool the piss out of it with the stock cam.

Had a H2 cam for a while and have no direct comparison but sure didn't loose a thing going back to stock with it either.

I'm just not showing sweet tweet for added spool with the 188/220.

Wow, i'll be keeping my eye on this thread. .

Imho there are far more effective, easier, and safer ways to achieve earlier spool than by opening the exhaust valve earlier and loosing the last portion of expansion against the piston to spool the turbo faster.

Well if I remember right this cam isn't popping the exhaust valve any sooner.
AND where's the added spool??? LOL

I was positive this cam would have shined with this tune I built for it and its just not there!

So the new cam makes the same power with less boost

Yeah, that's the one thing that stands out the most 10lbs less boost and pulled some egt's as well.

Last edited:
Well if I remember right this cam isn't popping the exhaust valve any sooner.
AND where's the added spool??? LOL

I see. I'm being somewhat general with my above statement not necessarily just this cam. I think it is fairly common to open the exhaust valve sooner to get the added spool with alot of these street cams. This would explain how graphs of decreased spool time don't also show large increases in torque (because it is being blown out the exhaust valve due to its earlier opening) or at least that is my line of thinking.

Also, although timing at .006" or .050" may not show an earlier opening the more aggressive ramps should allow for earlier blow down of the cylinder by getting to .100", .150", .200", etc. faster.

Last edited:
10 and 20 and haven't talked to Zack.

I keep looking at that 100lbs+ drive to 66lbs boost at the end of the pull and likely the secondary + dual ported internal gate is choked out.

Right....I see your point even though the event timing might not be much different the ramp rate would bring it in quicker.

Last edited:
10 and 20 and haven't talked to Zack.

I keep looking at that 100lbs+ drive to 66lbs boost at the end of the pull and likely the secondary + dual ported internal gate is choked out.

Right....I see your point even though the event timing might not be much different the ramp rate would bring it in quicker.

Was drive less with the stocker? Sorry, too lazy to go back and examine all those graphsbif

The drive data I don't think is going to be that great, its only a 100lb sensor and looks to be pretty much saturated. Looks to be pretty much the same.....

Maybe the HP sensor on the dyno is getting saturated too. LOL

Or maybe you tuned it using volume and not pressure. Yeah, that's gotta be it.

DAMNIT....re-reading it the first post the second line of text should read,

Stock pulls start earlier from 2700+ Hamilton 2800+

If a mod could fix it would be cool.

Likely everyone figured it out with the Hamilton having the lower boost. Other than that the lines pretty much follow anyways.....LOL

Its the reference damnit, lots of reference. Dyno has lots of room yet...LOL My chit will be all over the floor before I cap it.

Last edited:
Back