180 pump suddenly no idle?

K204DR

I'm the Driver
got a 180 pump, that suddenly decided it didn't want to idle. it would run if you kept your foot on the throttle, so we drove 1.5 hours home. i can adjust the idle up to 1000-1100 and it will run. any ideas? nothing I can find wrong with the gov springs. just got done looking there. protrusion is 052. very strange. its not a fuel flow issue as it has tons of power, just won't idle. we changed the filter just to be safe and it was all clean.

It runs ok otherwise? The governor cuts on the top end like normal? No power change? It sounds like a governor issue. Usually there will be other symptoms along with the idling issue if it is. Can also be a sticky plunger, although usually that will make it miss too.

Does it run away if you are in neutral or park? Mine is acting VERY similar to what you have going on.

Go buy a thing of power service (or howies or whatever) and try it with that. I had a sticking plunger that was just like that and I started using an additive every tank and haven't had that issue come back in the last 30k!

I have a 1000 mile road trip to make, so I'll be swapping my cranky 215 pump back in I guess. I don't trust the 180 pump. I'll just have to deal with the off idle stutter a little longer I guess on the 215. now i got two pumps needing worked on!

Does it run away if you are in neutral or park? Mine is acting VERY similar to what you have going on.

Its in a stickshift truck so its always in neutral! haven't had any runaway feeling though, but it kinda gave me the impression that it possibly could.

Ok so I tore into mine Sunday. Something is wrong with the governor. I was only able to take one set of the springs out and I had to fight to get them out. Idle spring was bad enough I had to use needle nose to get it out of the pump.

Back