05 Cummins ISX turbo question

lorendiesel5.9

OG Hunnybadger
A buddy of mine just put a PDI turbo and EGR delete kit on his truck cause the OEM turbo bearings went out. My question is if the compressor wheel hit the housing on the factory turbo. Is the it worth fixing up and if so how much would I be looking at money wise for a turbo to play around with? (I'm assuming its an HE551)

an isx charger has the vgt controller on it so u would have to do something to control electronics

:nail: :nail: :nail: I love the ever so helpful folks on CompD even if its not the help I need. LETS GET THIS STRAIGHT. The compressor wheel is FVCKED UP so first of all I need to get that fixed. And I don't care about electronic vgt's or that Fleece makes a controller.

if you have the esn from the engine take that to a cummins dealer, you can purchase all the parts needed to fix that turbo... i like the E-range turbos they do have good service life and can take some beating... the only thing to look for is some of the he551-561 hava titanium or billet compressor wheel. if that id the case for your turbo then it might be pricey... good luck with your turbo!

jason

:nail: :nail: :nail: I love the ever so helpful folks on CompD even if its not the help I need. LETS GET THIS STRAIGHT. The compressor wheel is FVCKED UP so first of all I need to get that fixed. And I don't care about electronic vgt's or that Fleece makes a controller.

Have you called a cummins dealer yet? Seems like the most likely place to get a "Helpful" answer, sense there the ones that could tell what parts are going to cost you.

Caleb

Unless you need a 71mm charger and a full time job getting it tuned in, why spend the money on it....you can find them in good shape for probably less money than you can have that one rebuilt...hell I've bought brand new one's for $1500

BTW, I've ran one, and spent the time tuning it to do what I want....I like them, but they aren't just a bolt on deal
Chris

Rather than assaulting the forum members you should try to understand what is being discussed.

That means there is no possible way to control your turbo.
You will either need to retrofit a non-VGT turbo or return the delete kit for one that only removes the EGR function.

I'll forget what you said because your a rookie but you MISSED the point of my original post by so many miles I can't even see you.

As for what the helpful people said they're right the Cummins dealer is probably the best bet but
THIS.
IS.
COMPD.

So it never hurts to ask first.

if you have the esn from the engine take that to a cummins dealer, you can purchase all the parts needed to fix that turbo... i like the E-range turbos they do have good service life and can take some beating... the only thing to look for is some of the he551-561 hava titanium or billet compressor wheel. if that id the case for your turbo then it might be pricey... good luck with your turbo!

jason

What about putting a billet or titanium wheel in it if it doesn't already have one.

What about putting a billet or titanium wheel in it if it doesn't already have one.

Still havent found a part number for one... Only special applications come with the Ti wheel.... Few and far between... If I cross the number I will post it

Sent from your moms house using tapatalk

Natual gas applications had them if I remember correctly. I have a hx60 with a ti wheel. Also I'd tear the turbo apart and impact the wheels then go from there a rebuild shouldn't be to crazy $$

Last edited:
Next question. Has anybody tried putting say a 75 or 80mm inducer wheel on one of these?

I wouldn't really mess with it....if you want a charger that big, buy one. The exducer on the 551 wheel is almost as big as the exducer on the 80mm wheel, so it's kinda a big 71mm wheel.

That, and I really don't like the 80 wheel...

Chris

Back