Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Alternative Diesel Motor Sports
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #761
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
Buy similar size Garrett or Holset with T6 foot and integrated wastegate.
I was looking at the Borg 92mm turbine. Pn 177148 has a fairly huge internal wastegate with a 75mm compressor.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #762
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Buy similar size Garrett or Holset with T6 foot and integrated wastegate.
Well it looks for some the word evolution means don’t move forward like using SX-E or even GTX gen 2 turbochargers as older stuff will perform the same? Opinion or fact? Or just the easy way forward of staying stationary as it will fit to easy and yes we made a change on things but what will be the outcome?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #763
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
T-6 1.25 For 87mm Turbine Wheel

They say this one fits the 87/80 wheel wonder if it can be machined for 87/82
Old 11-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #764
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Old 11-14-2017, 01:08 AM   #765
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall boy View Post
Well it looks for some the word evolution means don’t move forward like using SX-E or even GTX gen 2 turbochargers as older stuff will perform the same? Opinion or fact? Or just the easy way forward of staying stationary as it will fit to easy and yes we made a change on things but what will be the outcome?
Who said use older stuff ? Holset has also gone forward, there's not much differences in performance between latest offerings of those 3 manufacturers.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:09 AM   #766
Leiffi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
T-6 1.25 For 87mm Turbine Wheel

They say this one fits the 87/80 wheel wonder if it can be machined for 87/82
Yes.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:41 AM   #767
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Who said use older stuff ? Holset has also gone forward, there's not much differences in performance between latest offerings of those 3 manufacturers.
Well yes but all OE relates stuff for the most impossible to chance out parts and better call it margin production for some models better avoid as for others very good but only possible to order over OE supply lines so what should we order from Holset??????? As the rest of the word still offer old stuff Holset based. Better give an suggestion on what to get what proven and works well.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #768
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yes.
Whow not that fast. It says, This exhaust housing fits large S400 bearing housings with the 87mm turbine wheel. The S472SX-E large bearing housing? Don’t think so s these are the smallest. Correct me when I’m wrong the are 4 maybe 5 bearing housing in the S400/410 range and most have a different diameter for the turbine V clamp. Or is it the 176812 TH?? Better ask before you bay. I think it’s the 168319 as I see a load of them on pictures and these are 1.10A/R.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:07 AM   #769
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Well yes but all OE relates stuff for the most impossible to chance out parts and better call it margin production for some models better avoid as for others very good but only possible to order over OE supply lines so what should we order from Holset??????? As the rest of the word still offer old stuff Holset based. Better give an suggestion on what to get what proven and works well.
BW hasn’t put any delevopement into large turbine versions of the S400 for a very long time, so what real gains have there been?

Most aftermarket garrett turbos aren’t ideal for anything outside of the gas market, I would love to try a GTX5018 on my 3406, but It’s only offered with an 88mm inducer which isn’t needed at all, not to mention the cost.

So if I am looking at what would be available I lean toward the 97/92mm HX60, the turbine does much better than the 96/88 of the S400.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #770
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
BW hasn’t put any delevopement into large turbine versions of the S400 for a very long time, so what real gains have there been?

Most aftermarket garrett turbos aren’t ideal for anything outside of the gas market, I would love to try a GTX5018 on my 3406, but It’s only offered with an 88mm inducer which isn’t needed at all, not to mention the cost.

So if I am looking at what would be available I lean toward the 97/92mm HX60, the turbine does much better than the 96/88 of the S400.
Well it depends what your looking for? Top end power and no wastegate needed if possible or something that really on the ball all the time as for great low and mid end power? Makes a big difference dos it?

97/92mm HX60 we had some in the past but these wheel came of the shaft way to easy so we did not bother as no good for us. Also the 97/92mm HX60 was used on some 14L Scania V8 mainly due for low drive pressure but not very responsive se we build a whole load of S480SX4 and now moving over to the S476SX-E for 800 to 1000Hp Scania V8 and they love these turbochargers over Holset and Garrett that’s are used on the 4 & R series Scania engines.

As for the GT50 or maybe even GT55. But have to find out. We runs a 110 and 120Lb/min Garrett and turbine side both over 100mm. We run them on a 12L 60 series. 110Lb/min dos about the same as the S476SX3 and the 120Lb/Min the same as S480SX3 as well looking @ the data on a race engine. But if you want some I have a customer that builds custom build Garrett with a large turbine side so yes everything is possible and are good considering EGT is not low on this engine even using the TiAl TH as the Garrett TH is crap with only 750C EGT you will need some for one year truck racing.

Last edited by tall boy; 11-14-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:50 PM   #771
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
For those who look @ things from one side like the hot side or turbine site and so on. A chance in set-up can chance things a lot. Fitting a larger wheel to the same turbine can slow things down creating more drive pressure in some cases and this also goes the other way by speeding things up. A well testes example for us is the S476SX3 1.25A/R TH and the S472SX-E 1.10A/R TH. You may think the S476SX3 dos better on drive pressure but it’s not and wastegate opening tells the story as well as the S472SX-E not only spools faster it dos run less wastegate opening and lower drive pressure but runs also 11.000Rpm more on the same boost pressure moving about the same air mass in the process. Look @ it like a rotating door, if it turns slow things will move slow as well not able to handle a big crowd.
In the last years @ BW and Garrett compressorwheel are getting smaller moving even more air mass speeding things up able to benefit on the turbine site as well on the data log we getting in.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:41 AM   #772
Leiffi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post

I have Garrett 82/110mm extended tip compressors and can get GT50 turbines that fits Cat center housings.

Forced Induction have 100/92 turbines for BW.

Last edited by Leiffi; 11-15-2017 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:46 AM   #773
Leiffi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It is much easier to get whatever turbinewheel you want from Holset than from those other 2. Compressors are not a problem anyway today, just order what you want from far east.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #774
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It is much easier to get whatever turbinewheel you want from Holset than from those other 2. Compressors are not a problem anyway today, just order what you want from far east.
Well good for you than. I like box turbo. Easy to get original parts used and happy customers and regarding BW they can handle most insane applications. It’s like water always flows to the lowest part, it’s that simple. I do understand reinventing the wheel works for some but for us it’s hard to work with no data on things and I’m not interested in a market of trail and error any more. Sorry. Same goes for companies that rebrand stuff. Two year ago went to PRI hoping to find a load of new contacts. Start sending them mail for additional information and most did not reply and for what remain liability and warranty did kill what was left of it so what was left are the big boys in production able to tell what’s in the box.

But I’m open for suggestions. Name me one turbocharger that can handle massive overspeeding run 350C discharge temp compressor 80% of a duration of 14 hours on end.
A turbo that’s not very sensitive to unbalancing and large thermal load variations handling water and dust well for a duration of about 112 running hours. Dos this need to be a special or can we bay this as a box turbo?

Conversation is good and we got one going on my topic exchanging ideas. Really Great. But I also want to point out that all maybe dos not make improvements, complicating things or overlooking parts of the problem needing to invest both money and time to come to a correct solution on things. Critical in this is comparing data before and after not making and assumption but using data to get the facts. OK for most here it will be hard as unable to run load of project in a fast pace getting load of data that need processing as well. Engineering for us is 80% getting data and information on things 20% verification and test time. As for turbines I can not comment with numbers as these for the most are OE related. I do have my limits and yes some bigger Holset wheel do have good numbers but regarding what used on HX60 I’m not impressed on what we regard as low and medium flow wheels but that’s also what there marked needs. Commercial use not play toys for big boys. To top the ice cream hot @ this moment seems to be the lager frame core Mitsubishi turbochargers.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #775
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Todays job. Running a Scania V8 16.4L XPI Euro6 engine on one of our diesel engine test systems.

Great sound.

Last edited by tall boy; 11-15-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:57 AM   #776
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Last week have been to the professionalmotorsport-expo in Germany. You could call this a mini PRI with lots a companies showing there latest.

Spoken to people from TurboSmart on the professionalmotorsport-expo claming they have the best wastegate on the marked today. Well if you think so why not test it and explain the games we play so looking forward to there stuff hoping it will be a drop in as we now use the TiAl MVS and MVR wastegate.

What will the future hold? Back to my old roods playing with power generation stuff. Well maybe boring for now as for next week I have meeting planed for programming the controllers for an all-electrical sports car 400Kw 4 wheel drive and 200Kw per axle commercial vehicle as well. OK there is not a load of emotion to this sounding like a RC car that kids play with and hoping to get some sports car feel to it as well not feeling like driving an electrical forklift if you get the idea. Also hybrid will be down on exiting numbers coming from what ever power plant or generator used. To run a big city bus all day on the hiway you only need 40Kw power generation and a big 150 ton dumper truck running in a quarry only 200Kw as the rest of the power comes from the battary packs.
Now here comes the fun part. A 190Kw electrical motor will fit in the space of a 100Kw version and if you put some more coolling capasity on the motor and divers it can do a lot more even.

Testing A MAN D0836LOH051 engine
Old 11-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #777
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
So cool this RatRod. US customer running a Duramax V8 running our ECU system.
Injectors are not 100% and will be replaced but will sort that out in the next week or so.

Also one of our team members is building a V8 Scania semi truck Ratrod machine. I call it the ugly thing. .

Old 12-06-2017, 12:50 AM   #778
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Plex Tuning μSDM Micro Display running on a Adaptronic M2000 ECU

Nice little race display that can also be used with an OBD connector to get engine data but in this case we run it of the can from the ECU.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:45 AM   #779
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Long very precise job timing the 2x billed camshaft for the new 18.4L Scania V8 PDE engine.

Click the image to open in full size.

New build replacement turbo for the Scania V8 4 series and R series engines bases on the S400SX-E turbo. We can build these from the S476SX-E up to the S488SX-E from 1200Hp to 1600Hp but the S476SX-E will support 1000Hp+ easy and will spool faster than the older S480SX series doing the same power output on these engines.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #780
Leiffi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Long very precise job timing the 2x billed camshaft for the new 18.4L Scania V8 PDE engine.

New build replacement turbo for the Scania V8 4 series and R series engines bases on the S400SX-E turbo. We can build these from the S476SX-E up to the S488SX-E from 1200Hp to 1600Hp but the S476SX-E will support 1000Hp+ easy and will spool faster than the older S480SX series doing the same power output on these engines.

Is that a Holset turbine housing ?