Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
thisguy65

Name: thisguy65
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Started new to me engine, white smoke?

Hey guys, got a new to me engine from a diesel performance shop that came out of a bus. Got it started last night and I had a little trouble clearing out the lines (first time ever doing this or having a cummins). Long story short during cranking the motor would puff white smoke out. When it finally hit and ran it let out white smoke and then seem to clear up. Nothing is wrong with the engine but in the gas world white smoke = headgasket. Unburnt fuel was black. With injectors puddling diesel in the bowl of the pistons will cause this or a bad injector. Why is the smoke more white/gray than black?

Hot rod build...Cummins 12v started!!! - YouTube

Last edited by thisguy65; 06-20-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
turbo2387

Name: turbo2387
Title: Nipple Fluffer
Member`s Gallery
white/gray is improper fuel injection timing. so very advanced, very retarded (slipped timing) leaky injector or most likely in your case an engine that sat for awhile, maybe on its side and had some engine oil or a little extra fuel in the cylinders when it first fired.

smoke probably burned your eyes instead of smelled sweet right?

Old 06-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
thisguy65

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2332 View Post
white/gray is improper fuel injection timing. so very advanced, very retarded (slipped timing) leaky injector or most likely in your case an engine that sat for awhile, maybe on its side and had some engine oil or a little extra fuel in the cylinders when it first fired.

The motor was stored on a stand. Didn't smell sweet and the haze cleared up. I wouldn't say it burned but my eyes were starting to water after a bit. Oil pressure is 60psi.

I'm thinking it's possibly from cranking and bleeding the lines? fuel getting dumped in cylinders but not enough pressure/rpm to burn it? You notice at idle toward the end of the video it cleared right up. I don't know I'm new. Need to learn how to set the timing.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy65 View Post
I'm thinking it's possibly from cranking and bleeding the lines? fuel getting dumped in cylinders but not enough pressure/rpm to burn it? You notice at idle toward the end of the video it cleared right up.
I'd say you're right. If anything, timing may need to be set.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #5
thisguy65

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
I'd say you're right. If anything, timing may need to be set.
I'm sure this has been covered 10,000 times but would anyone point me in the right direction to easily verify the timing or how to set it on a P pump?

Old 06-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
turbo2387

Name: turbo2387
Title: Nipple Fluffer
Member`s Gallery
pin time the engine (plunger under the injection pump facing forward)
remove the timing nut on the injection pump (15/16 nut on the side of pump)

have a buddy rotate the engine while you put light pressure on the engine pin. when it clicks in your at TDC. take a mirror and look inside the inspection hole on the IP you should see a shinny metal tab. the back side of the nut you removed has the female side of the tab on it. it should slide in and out easily. this insures the engine is pin timed ant whatever the pump has been modified to or whatever the metal plate on the side of the timing case says its set at.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
thisguy65

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
pin time the engine (plunger under the injection pump facing forward)
remove the timing nut on the injection pump (15/16 nut on the side of pump)

have a buddy rotate the engine while you put light pressure on the engine pin. when it clicks in your at TDC. take a mirror and look inside the inspection hole on the IP you should see a shinny metal tab. the back side of the nut you removed has the female side of the tab on it. it should slide in and out easily. this insures the engine is pin timed ant whatever the pump has been modified to or whatever the metal plate on the side of the timing case says its set at.
Thanks!

Mine is suppose to be set at 12 degrees BTDC. By doing this, would it 100% promise the engine is at 12 BTDC?

Also where would I get another nut for the pump gear? Like to keep vital parts on hand just in case. I assume it's just a standard grade 5 or 8 nut.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
thisguy65

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I forgot to add we just cranked it to hear it run (who wouldn't right?) but no coolant was hooked up. Ran 30 seconds and then shut down. The pump needs a little tuning for the low idle but easy to do once the truck is built.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
tornado112

Name: tornado112
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I would suggest getting a few of the lock washers for the pump nut. I only use them one time
94 Regular Cab Intake 5x12 Contagious Injectors 4kGSK and 60lb springs Adjustable Pump Gear and Timing Cover Auto Meter Steering Box Brace Sphon Adjustable Trac Bar Sphon Sway Bar Links Vision 19.5 Michelin 265-75-19.5 MegaTREK

Old 06-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #10
thisguy65

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado112 View Post
I would suggest getting a few of the lock washers for the pump nut. I only use them one time
Just any lock washer from lowes will do?

The white is from not having the turbo hooked up, figured that one out.. lol

Old 06-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
tornado112

Name: tornado112
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I get mine from freightliner
94 Regular Cab Intake 5x12 Contagious Injectors 4kGSK and 60lb springs Adjustable Pump Gear and Timing Cover Auto Meter Steering Box Brace Sphon Adjustable Trac Bar Sphon Sway Bar Links Vision 19.5 Michelin 265-75-19.5 MegaTREK

Old 06-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
thisguy65

Member`s Gallery
Thanks!

Closed Thread