Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
NickTF

Name: NickTF
Title: Single turbo turd.
Member`s Gallery
Skyjacker control arm impressions (dul25 dll23)

Thought i'd share with my impressions of the truck with the addition of the skyjacker control arms. I installed both the dul25 and dll23 arms (upper and lower arms). Truck is at stock height in the rear and leveled in front with the d25 skyjacker springs.

First the gripes. The lower arm is a bit longer than the stock arm. The upper arm is a bit shorter though which doesn't make much sense to me. What's happened is caster can't be gotten down to the optimal 3.2 or round about posative degrees. With the eccentrics maxed out caster is a posative 4.5 which is still within the spec I believe but a bit too posative. Also, it looks to me like a 35" tire will be very close when turning to hitting the fender. Currently only have the 31.6" toyo HTs on so can't say for certain how that will change or not. Perhaps because these arms are designed for between 3" to 5" lift they operate in this manner but pulling the axle back with higher lift would become an issue I think in regards to tire clearence with the rear fender.

Now, the good. The truck handles better at 4" higher than it was (from stock coils with one coil cut to skyjacker d25s about 4" taller) then it ever did at the lower height. My stock arms had the bushings in horrible shape and two of them were bent so i'd imagine some of this is due to that. I can take corners I couldn't dream of before. Actually on the way home tonight I came around the long sweeping turn so fast I uncovered the pickup of the air dog 150 and nearly stalled the truck out with 1/4 tank of fuel. Never had that happen before. I know the point of these trucks is not hair pin turns but the increase in handling is certainly nice!

For around $140 per pair i'm happy with the purchase. I also have a DSS and 3rd gen adjustable solid steel track arm with conversion so take that into consideration.

Just figured i'd put up a thread given when searching for threads discussing both arms used together I couldn't find any.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
bna5017

Name: bna5017
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Put up some pics of it lifted up!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
JFlagg

Name: JFlagg
Title: Gun for Hire
Member`s Gallery
If you want to change the length of the top one just cut it in the middle and sleeve it, then reweld it... Of if you want to shorten the bottom, cut out whatever length you want then reweld it. How much change do you think you need to get the castor like you want?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
NickTF

Member`s Gallery
I think an 0.5" would do it but given i've had about 5 alignments done on this truck unless it causes issues with the tire fitment i'm leaving it like it is. I'd rather have caster too far posative then negative as it fights death wobble.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
bh10

Name: bh10
Title: Web Wrencher
Member`s Gallery
Off topic, but I remember reading you had DW, did the trackbar cure it?

Big Thanks To
PURE DIESEL POWER
CSnyder @ Snyder Motorsports

Old 12-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
NickTF

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
Off topic, but I remember reading you had DW, did the trackbar cure it?
Yes, the first time I leveled my truck with just the d25 springs in front I had death wobble on more than one occasion. I attacked it with an alignment putting caster back in line, a DSS, and a 3rd gen track bar conversion all at once to make it go away and that took care of it. Alignment is the easiest thing that caster setting is very important. If that doesn't do it then start down the road of other parts described.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Bersaglieri

Name: Bersaglieri
Title: Ron Swanson's Brother
Member`s Gallery
Good thread, I need control arms, and I didnt know Skyjacker made some. I know Top Gun Customz makes sets per order depending on your modifications and I was thinking about trying them out.

-Dustin-
1994 - LT1 - 4L80e - Moser

Old 12-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
bh10

Name: bh10
Title: Web Wrencher
Member`s Gallery
Where did you get the arms at?

Big Thanks To
PURE DIESEL POWER
CSnyder @ Snyder Motorsports

Old 12-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
jupton

Name: jupton
Title: Horsepower lover
Member`s Gallery
If you are decent at fab work its easy to make your own control arms. Just buy the energy suspension polyurethane bushing kit and go to town

Old 12-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
NickTF

Member`s Gallery
I got mine from summit.

I wanted someting to bolt right in. I had a suspicion this job was boing to be more then a few hours it shoud have been and what do ya know I was right on the money lol.

Closed Thread