Grille build

Update this is what it will look like.
DSC02008_zps06xufn4b.jpg

DSC02007_zps5x3l7jxn.jpg

Looks good. What are you going to make the finished grille of? Fiberglass, carbon fiber, plastic of some kind???

Edit: D'oh I reread the first post and see it will be carbon fiber! I'm sure it will look great! You'll probably get a lot of other members that want to buy one from you too!

Last edited:
Looks good. What are you going to make the finished grille of? Fiberglass, carbon fiber, plastic of some kind???

Edit: D'oh I reread the first post and see it will be carbon fiber! I'm sure it will look great! You'll probably get a lot of other members that want to buy one from you too!

In the process of doing this I have decided to stay with fiberglass, the difference between carbon fiber and fiberglass in this part would not make much
difference especially if its gel cote or painted there's no wow factor if you don't see the carbon fiber.I plan on body mounting it instead of mounting it to the hood.
I don't see any one wanting one, without the headlights I'm building to work with it. How ever I am making two in case it ever gets a nose bleed.

In the process of doing this I have decided to stay with fiberglass, the difference between carbon fiber and fiberglass in this part would not make much
difference especially if its gel cote or painted there's no wow factor if you don't see the carbon fiber.I plan on body mounting it instead of mounting it to the hood.
I don't see any one wanting one, without the headlights I'm building to work with it. How ever I am making two in case it ever gets a nose bleed.

That will be nice. I'm interested to see the body mount grille. I agree on the CF needing to be seen to be appreciated.

On the truck for a look see, I finished the pattern today and will build prime & block sand tomorrow I can then start on the mold and headlights.
DSC02021_zpstvjanooy.jpg

DSC02043_zpscz9aknsn.jpg

Pattern with 8 coat's of wax I start lay up of the mold tomorrow
DSC02038_zpshizuukgy.jpg

Looks sweet, so I am curious why not just glass this or even a good paint and call it done? Do you plan to make more? What material are you going to make it out of?

Its the pattern or plug I make the mold off this and the part off the mold. Just the way composite parts are made I am making two parts (spare in case it gets a nose bleed)

Its the pattern or plug I make the mold off this and the part off the mold. Just the way composite parts are made I am making two parts (spare in case it gets a nose bleed)

Yea I worked at a foundry for a few years and am familar with the pattern making procedure. What I am asking is what material will the final be made of? Also if you just epoxy coated what you have, wouldn't it work for the grill?

Fiberglass, A lot of this is just foam with a skin coat of bondo and build primer. The wood would warp and twist Building up would all so change its dimensions.If I didnt mold it I would of built it out of .060 alum would of look the same, but this way I get as many as I want. The pattern is the hard part the rest is easy.

In this project You need to make a part to make a part to make a part 3 steps
this is the end of step 2.
This is the mold the pattern is still in it until tomorrow. Its gelcoat 3 layers of fiberglass and 3qts resin.
DSC02060_zpsboq3tn0y.jpg

Back