Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > EFI Live Tuning Discussion (Cummins)
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
EverydayDiesel

Name: EverydayDiesel
Title: I drink diesel
Member`s Gallery
Replacing The ECM

Hello I have a 2007.5 6.7L cummins that i recently flashed (with efi live v2 on a file that was "ok to flash") which went with no errors before during or after but for some crazy reason when I went to crank the truck it would not start. Now the ecm does not respond to anything, efi live keeps telling me that the ignition is off. (I have checked all the fuses which are fine and reset the battery). The weird part is this happened when I got a CSP5 switch and converted the base file to the CSP5 version. I sent the file to EFI Live V2 and they said the file checked as ok. The complete version of what I did can be found here https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...r-CSP5-Upgrade! but the consensus was that the ecm is dead.

So I ordered a new ecm from a salvage yard which has the same part number from the same year/model truck.

My question is, will I need to reprogram anything except the vin number on this new ecm?
Will this just be plug in play? Who has done this before?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by EverydayDiesel; 02-16-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:31 AM   #2
tylerltr450

Name: tylerltr450
Title: Wanna Be Hacker
Member`s Gallery
plug n play. Are you sure you flashed in the correctly base file? Should of taken your truck to the dealer to get a reflash before ordering a second ecm.

Custom EFI Live Tuning
FullPullPerformance@gmail.com

Old 02-17-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
EverydayDiesel

Member`s Gallery
100% sure and actually I had flashed that ecm with the same tune at least 10 times. It wasnt until I converted the base tune over to a CSP5 file that the ecm was dead.

I have read numerous threads where people could not recover from dodge from this state. My friend works at cummins so I will have him program it but in the mean time I bought a 'spare' because I need this truck to be running.

The scary part is, that i still dont know what caused the failure. I even sent the file to efi live and they said the file was fine.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
tylerltr450

Member`s Gallery
Im pretty sure that your buddy that works at cummins cant flash the ecm.

Custom EFI Live Tuning

Old 02-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
EverydayDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerltr450 View Post
Im pretty sure that your buddy that works at cummins cant flash the ecm.
but you think dodge can? Its a cummins made part.

Either way I think it will have to be a bench flash. I just wish someone had the pinout and software they would share for a CM2100A. The problem is that programs like EFI live have handshaking checks that look to see if the ecm you are flashing matches the type of ecm in the meta data file you are trying to flash. Since my ecm is not responding it would need to be a low level application in C or assembler that would write the entire config bit for bit including the boot loader.

This is something that I would develop if I had the specifics on the ecm itself but I am unsure where to get this information.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #6
arinkuddy

Name: arinkuddy
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel View Post

Either way I think it will have to be a bench flash. I just wish someone had the pinout and software they would share for a CM2100A. The problem is that programs like EFI live have handshaking checks that look to see if the ecm you are flashing matches the type of ecm in the meta data file you are trying to flash. Since my ecm is not responding it would need to be a low level application in C or assembler that would write the entire config bit for bit including the boot loader.

This is something that I would develop if I had the specifics on the ecm itself but I am unsure where to get this information.
Whats your background EverydayDiesel? EE CE? Just wondering since you are implying you know a thing or two about Embedded Systems.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
EverydayDiesel

Member`s Gallery
I know a little. I actually run a small business that deals with embedded linux. My education is programming mostly in C / C++.

Last edited by EverydayDiesel; 02-17-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Dodge's interface is proprietary to Dodge. Cummins wants nothing to do with it!

the Cummins labeled ECM's have the industry standard round comm port in addition to the two 60 pin connectors.

The Dodge labeled ECM's do not have that port.

It's my bet that Cummins WON'T program it no matter what. I would not be surprised if your buddy at Cummins CAN'T program it

are you on the EFI Live forums?

Old 02-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
EverydayDiesel

Member`s Gallery
No was I suppose to???

I figured I wasn't since the csp5 comes in a pass through and non pass through versions. I didn't see anything in the doc about it.

Last edited by EverydayDiesel; 02-17-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #10
EverydayDiesel

Member`s Gallery
This still really bothers me that I dont know the reason for the failure. If I did you can guarantee that I wouldnt do it again.

I know my wife opened the door in the middle of the flash which does send info to the computer (I believe it sends door ajar voltage)

Old 02-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #11
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
umm... where is the door ajar circuit on the ECM?

I mean, it's best protocol to not utilize any electrical inputs, but I can't tell you how many times I've opened/closed doors, rolled up/down windows, changed stations on the radio, turned off auto headlights, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Are you on the EFI Live forums?

Old 02-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #12
EverydayDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Yes I am, under the same name.
Are you?

Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 PM   #13
EverydayDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by arinkuddy View Post
Whats your background EverydayDiesel? EE CE? Just wondering since you are implying you know a thing or two about Embedded Systems.

What about you? What is your background?

Old 02-18-2016, 06:48 AM   #14
tylerltr450

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I think you should really read up on your info. Our ECMS are made my Bosch not Cummins, no dodge. So my point your friend at Cummins cant flash your ecm. Only the dealer can flash your ecm or EFI Live.

Quote:
Also arinkuddy is a very knowledgeable guy about our ecms, me and him discuss things on a weekly basis. I would trust his word he does his homework like me and it seems like you need to catch up also.

Custom EFI Live Tuning

Old 02-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #15
EverydayDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I think you should really read up on your info. Our ECMS are made my Bosch not Cummins, no dodge. So my point your friend at Cummins cant flash your ecm. Only the dealer can flash your ecm or EFI Live.

Also arinkuddy is a very knowledgeable guy about our ecms, me and him discuss things on a weekly basis. I would trust his word he does his homework like me and it seems like you need to catch up also.
You guys know way more then I ever will about this stuff. But in all actuality if you want to drill into the hardware, its is an embedded power pc platform made by Intel. Bosch added nand's and power regulation but this isn't really about the hardware of the ecm but rather if the software is compatible. The part numbers of the hardware are the same so it should be irrelevant. The thread was started to see if the software would play nice with the other software in the truck

I appreciate everyone who contributed to this thread!

Last edited by EverydayDiesel; 02-18-2016 at 07:54 AM.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #16
arinkuddy

Name: arinkuddy
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'm an Electrical Engineer, just graduated this Dec. My interest is in embedded systems and right now im working for company which has a few. Worked on avionics for the AF. I know just enough to be dangerous.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #17
EverydayDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I dont doubt that at all. I have read some of his threads on here and have learned alot from him.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:31 AM   #18
EverydayDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by arinkuddy View Post
I'm an Electrical Engineer, just graduated this Dec. My interest is in embedded systems and right now im working for company which has a few. Worked on avionics for the AF. I know just enough to be dangerous.
That's a great field to be in right now with the whole IoT craze that is going on.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #19
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

You had me at C compiler. This is the kind of thread we need more of

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 02-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #20
tylerltr450

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
You had me at C compiler. This is the kind of thread we need more of

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
Agreed mostly figuring out the binary code to delete 6.7s ... But we shouldn't go there. I have been focusing lots of my time there and its going slow. Ill get it one day!!

Custom EFI Live Tuning

Closed Thread