Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > EFI Live Tuning Discussion (Cummins)
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
BlackasCoal

Name: BlackasCoal
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Cranking with no start - error 0549

Looking for some of the EFI live geniuses. I'll try to put as much background as possible. I've been swapping things around with some of the trucks I have. Truck is a 07.5 6.7 and was originally a manual. The previous owner then swapped in a 48re and some engine work. I bought the truck and swapped the engine/Trans into my other truck and vise versa. So now the truck has a mostly stock 6.7 and 68rfe. It has the original ECM for the truck but has the front clip/engine wiring harness from my 08 since the old one was for a manual.

Finished everything up and went to load a new tune to the ECM for the now stock engine but when the autocal goes to scan and relicense the ECM I get a error 0549. Key not on. Which it is. Tried starting it with the old tune that's on the ECM but it just cranks. Doesn't fire. I tried swapping the ECM off my other truck to it and got the same results. Tried swapping TIPMs and wouldn't crank. The batteries have been sitting for a little but both have 12v. The airdog relay is also clicking like crazy and the pump along with the light for the exhaust brake is pulsing as well. I've also had another truck jumped to it while trying to start and load a tune and doesn't help.

I'm at a loss as where to go now and most threads where people have a similar problem the thread just dies or they don't come back and say what the fix was. I appreciate any help. And appologize in advance but I'm lost with the computer portion of efi.

Click the image to open in full size.
07.5 MCSB, Thuren/Carli/King, 35" Toyos MT's, 17" Methods, Miller’s Machine Shop 6.4 w/ Wagler long rods, QSB pistons, 188/220 cam, Ported/big valve head, Muldoons Phat shaft 48re w/ anteater, DDP 5.9 fuel, Firepunk 66/85, Firepunk EFI

Old 04-02-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
Are you able to pull codes through the OBD with any other tuner/code reader/etc?

Old 04-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
No, no codes are coming up with the autocal or my CTS. Says there is none to display. If it also pertains the vin won't come up on the CTS either.
07.5 MCSB, Thuren/Carli/King, 35" Toyos MT's, 17" Methods, Miller’s Machine Shop 6.4 w/ Wagler long rods, QSB pistons, 188/220 cam, Ported/big valve head, Muldoons Phat shaft 48re w/ anteater, DDP 5.9 fuel, Firepunk 66/85, Firepunk EFI

Old 04-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #4
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
The autocal was originally linked to my other truck. Even then I went to load a newer tune on that truck and got 053E. Not sure if it helps with this problem. Never loaded the tune. Had it sent to the tuner and unlocked to go with another tuner on a different truck. So it has a fresh license on it as well. Truck it's going on was also efi live tuned prior.

Last edited by BlackasCoal; 04-02-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
tylerltr450

Name: tylerltr450
Title: Wanna Be Hacker
Member`s Gallery
sounds like the autocal isn't licensed correctly to the auto cal. and also might be that the trucks antitheft is messed up. and possibly vin is messed up also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 10.43.21 PM.jpg (42.4 KB, 0 views)

Custom EFI Live Tuning
FullPullPerformance@gmail.com

Last edited by tylerltr450; 04-02-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
I've searched for days now. And most come back around to that. Vin or security problem. I'm leaning toward when I swapped the columns and tried it with a different key that maybe the ECM didn't recognize it went into a no start. It's the same ECM that was on the truck before and ran fine so don't know how the vin could be wrong.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackasCoal View Post
I've searched for days now. And most come back around to that. Vin or security problem. I'm leaning toward when I swapped the columns and tried it with a different key that maybe the ECM didn't recognize it went into a no start. It's the same ECM that was on the truck before and ran fine so don't know how the vin could be wrong.

The key would have a frequency that will let the truck start normally. If you swap keys or column and ignitions then the ecm won't recognize the new code. Should be able to go to the dealer and get them to let the truck accept the new code.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #8
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
That may be it then. I've since swapped it back to the original key and column but maybe it's too late?

Old 04-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #9
Scooter's Roofing

Member`s Gallery
I know on the Fords, when you kill keep-alive-power to the PATS module, you have to reprogram the security system.

You may be there with this truck.

But... again... you'll typically get a code for invalid skim key error. And you're getting no codes.

Did you unplug the ECM from the harness and try your KOEO PIDS/DTC routine?

Old 04-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #10
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
I haven't yet. I'm out right now but will once I'm home if it's not too late.

Had to take break before I lit it on fire and called the insurance company.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:35 PM   #11
Scooter's Roofing

Member`s Gallery
know that feeling all too well, my friend

Old 04-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #12
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
Best part is after I figure this one out I've got another here I have to chase things down on.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #13
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Member`s Gallery
I know on my old 01' cavalier you cycle the key on/off 3 times over 30 minutes leaving it on for 10 mins at a time and the Ecm will learn the new code from the new ignition. But your truck is likely can bus so that's prob dealer programming stuff.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #14
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
im not there yet but close.

Just unplugged the ECM and tried to load a tune like before. Got the same results. Only thing different is the airdog isn't trying to turn on so no clicking or pulsing. No codes either on the autocal, CTS and key trick.

One thing I did notice is when the CTS starts and you select dodge/Chrysler it goes to the next screen like normal searches for dodge/Chrysler protocol but then says trying VPW, then to CAN and then loads gauges. But it's just the basic ones. No rail pressure or anything like that.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #15
Scooter's Roofing

Member`s Gallery
At this point, I'm looking for another truck to program your ECM's to in order to verify that they are good computers before I chase my tail any further swapping parts.

And I'm not using that auto-cal to do it

Old 04-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #16
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
I'm going to call the local dealer and talk to them about flashing it to reset the key. It's going to be a pain trying to explain this to them and it being so close to base they are gonna wanna charge the crap out of me. It's gonna be fun

Old 04-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #17
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
I know a guy with two trucks as well at work but I believe they are 5.9's. I can try pulling codes or data logging on it if it turns out his other truck is a 6.7.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:44 PM   #18
Scooter's Roofing

Member`s Gallery
Wish I could help you out, bud

Old 04-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #19
tylerltr450

Name: tylerltr450
Title: Wanna Be Hacker
Member`s Gallery
Can you do a step by step on what you did? Like
1 you swapped engines
2 swapped ignitions
3 swapped ecu
4flashed

Might be able to figure out what happened. If we can see your step by step

Custom EFI Live Tuning
FullPullPerformance@gmail.com

Old 04-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #20
BlackasCoal

Member`s Gallery
I sure will as soon as I'm on my lunch break so I don't type quick and miss something!

Closed Thread