Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Towing and Hauling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Towing and Hauling Towing, hauling, hitches, and trailer discussion can be found here

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #21
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous06 View Post
Not a goose neck! I wish 5th wheels had chains! Just bought a bed saver Blue Ox BedSaver - YouTube and new 5th wheel assembly!
No lube plate or was it high hitched! Only turned and front tire on embankment twisting frame a bit.
That bed Saver is a neat piece!!! Hopefully you won't need it!!!

Seems like the 5th wheel should still have safety chains... Just common sense really that some issue could happen and having safety chains to catch the trailer if it happens would be a good thing!!!

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #22
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Member`s Gallery
Lost trailer

Maybe a 5th wheel behind a 1 ton or similar but safety chains on class 8 would be pointless and hard to attach to something with the amount of movement. Not to mention if the 5th wheel cam unlatched the chains wouldn't likely hold it anyway.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:15 PM   #23
GAmes

Name: GAmes
Title: Retired Apache pilot
Member`s Gallery
5th wheel RVs don't come with safety chains and none are required by DOT or anyone else. Mark is mistaken. Also, my 5th wheel hitch articulates side to side and it wasn't that expensive. It's a 16k Husky, and has been hooked to well over 100 different trailers without an issue.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #24
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
5th wheel RVs don't come with safety chains and none are required by DOT or anyone else. Mark is mistaken. Also, my 5th wheel hitch articulates side to side and it wasn't that expensive. It's a 16k Husky, and has been hooked to well over 100 different trailers without an issue.
Try pulling them "for hire" and get stopped with no chains, then tell me I am mistaken.
Been there, done that.

Mark.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:04 PM   #25
GAmes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
Try pulling them "for hire" and get stopped with no chains, then tell me I am mistaken.
Been there, done that.

Mark.
Just like the OP I do pull them for hire. Do you think I've pulled well over 100 personal 5th wheels? I've been through quite a few DOT inspections, and have received an atta-boy sticker every time. Since you have "Been there, done that" I'm sure you can name one RV brand that installs chains on their 5th wheels. You do realize that before a trailer leaves it's manufacture point it complies with every federal regulation don't you? Lights, hitch, break away, chains on ball hitch couplers, all that.

Funny thing, when I read pure BS, then the writer argues with more BS, I have the tendency to not believe anything the writer has to say. Is it just me?

Old 12-31-2016, 05:13 PM   #26
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCETON_JAKE View Post
Huh, none of our fleet of semis ever had or came with safety chains and dot has never said anything
You're right on that point.
Though with regard to the 5th wheel on a tractor trailer, those have a braking system for the trailer that is much, much more reliable and the kingpins are designed with a longer pin to allow for "some" movement left to right.
Not to mention a tractor trailer 5th wheel is just plain tougher material.

Also, the brakes on a semi trailer are much more likely to stop an unhooked trailer than the rinky dink electric crap on a typical goose neck, or 5th wheel pick-up pulled trailer.
But you already know this.

Quote:
Just like the OP I do pull them for hire. Do you think I've pulled well over 100 personal 5th wheels? I've been through quite a few DOT inspections, and have received an atta-boy sticker every time. Since you have "Been there, done that" I'm sure you can name one RV brand that installs chains on their 5th wheels. You do realize that before a trailer leaves it's manufacture point it complies with every federal regulation don't you? Lights, hitch, break away, chains on ball hitch couplers, all that.

Funny thing, when I read pure BS, then the writer argues with more BS, I have the tendency to not believe anything the writer has to say. Is it just me?
I only know what I got popped for back in 2008 and no safety chains on a 5th wheel hitch was part of the short list of defects.
It wasn't imagined, nor was the fine very easy to forget.

In truth, the OP's problem actually proves the need for safety chains.
I also think he needs to look his equipment over better before he moves his truck.
2 times with the same mistake means there's a problem, figure it out before you kill someone..

Mark.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:25 PM   #27
GAmes

Member`s Gallery
I haven't put nearly 1.3 miles on my pickup overnight. The regs in 2008 were the same as they are now. The 100+ I referred to is on the hitch I have now. I wore out the pivot bearings on it's predecessor. I've been doing this since 2003.

Once again, name one RV maker who installs safety chains on their 5th wheels. You can't. Just because you got a ticket that you could have easily beat you want to make up DOT regs? Too funny.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #28
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
I'd like to be as honored as you are, to be able to say that I put 1.3 miles on my rig and expect people to believe that I've driven all my life.

Mark.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #29
GAmes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'd like to be as honored as you are, to be able to say that I put 1.3 miles on my rig and expect people to believe that I've driven all my life.

Mark.
Huh? You are only 13 years old?

Old 12-31-2016, 05:52 PM   #30
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Re-read your post, number 27.
Learn to proofread, lest you look like an idiot.

Mark.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #31
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I only know what I got popped for back in 2008 and no safety chains on a 5th wheel hitch was part of the short list of defects.

I also think he needs to look his equipment over better before he moves his truck.
2 times with the same mistake means there's a problem, figure it out before you kill someone..

Mark.
Quote:
I haven't put nearly 1.3 miles on my pickup overnight. The regs in 2008 were the same as they are now. The 100+ I referred to is on the hitch I have now. I wore out the pivot bearings on it's predecessor. I've been doing this since 2003.

Once again, name one RV maker who installs safety chains on their 5th wheels. You can't. Just because you got a ticket that you could have easily beat you want to make up DOT regs? Too funny.
You're both right but Mark is more correct than GAmes. About 90/10% to be exact. 5th wheel RVs won't come with them from the factory, but any other style trailer does almost without exception. Kaufman, PJ, Big Tex, Load Trail all come with safety chains from factory. DOTs official stance is- If it comes with them from the factory, they better be hooked up. FTR I only have about 700k miles on my career but I also have gotten a ticket while pulling a fifth wheel car trailer for not having safety chains hooked up.

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd

Old 12-31-2016, 05:55 PM   #32
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You're right on that point.

Though with regard to the 5th wheel on a tractor trailer, those have a braking system for the trailer that is much, much more reliable and the kingpins are designed with a longer pin to allow for "some" movement left to right.

Not to mention a tractor trailer 5th wheel is just plain tougher material.

Also, the brakes on a semi trailer are much more likely to stop an unhooked trailer than the rinky dink electric crap on a typical goose neck, or 5th wheel pick-up pulled trailer.

But you already know this.

Mark.

A class 8 truck with a 5th has no room for side to side movement. The piece slides passed down the claws and wedge them closed.

Am I mistaken or can you hitch a regular 5th wheel, the one you normall pull behind a 1 ton, up to a semi?

Old 12-31-2016, 06:04 PM   #33
GAmes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Re-read your post, number 27.
Learn to proofread, lest you look like an idiot.

Mark.
I've been transporting RVs for 13 years and have nearly 1.3 million miles on my pickup. Is that too difficult to understand?

Nice try at spinning that I look like an idiot. I'm not the one who posted the BS.

Just admit you are wrong, you know, man up..........if you can.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #34
GAmes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorendiesel5.9 View Post
You're both right but Mark is more correct than GAmes. About 90/10% to be exact.
Since my post only concerns 5th wheel RVs (which is what this thread is about) how can I only be 10% correct?

Old 12-31-2016, 06:12 PM   #35
GAmes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram12vcummins View Post
Am I mistaken or can you hitch a regular 5th wheel, the one you normall pull behind a 1 ton, up to a semi?
I have been told the kingpin of a 5th wheel RV is the same size as a semi trailer king pin. They look the same, but I've never pulled out a pair of calipers and measured them.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:17 PM   #36
lorendiesel5.9

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Since my post only concerns 5th wheel RVs (which is what this thread is about) how can I only be 10% correct?
Cause you're a fvcking idiot for denying the fact that you can in fact get a ticket for lack of chains.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:19 PM   #37
lorendiesel5.9

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram12vcummins View Post
Yes they are interchangeable. I went from pulling a 5r Kaufman with a Curt hitch and a pickup to pulling it with a single axle semi with no problems.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:20 PM   #38
GAmes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorendiesel5.9 View Post
Cause you're a fvcking idiot for denying the fact that you can in fact get a ticket for lack of chains.
No, I'm denying you can get a ticket for no chains on a 5th wheel RV. Whatever you are/were pulling doesn't impact that fact.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:35 PM   #39
lorendiesel5.9

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
No, I'm denying you can get a ticket for no chains on a 5th wheel RV. Whatever you are/were pulling doesn't impact that fact.
Post #27 you forgot to specify you're only talking about RVs. And I quote:
Quote:
Just because you got a ticket that you could have easily beat you want to make up DOT regs? Too funny.
It is in fact DOT regs that if your trailer came with them from factory they have to be hooked up.

Last edited by lorendiesel5.9; 12-31-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:43 PM   #40
PRINCETON_JAKE

Name: PRINCETON_JAKE
Member`s Gallery
Yep, same hitch, I had a friend move my camper when my truck was down.

Mark, I wonder if the dot officer who gave you trouble mistakes your 5th wheel for a gooseneck hitch. They DO require chains
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0355.jpg (719.3 KB, 0 views)

Closed Thread