Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #21
M249cummins

Name: M249cummins
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduringAtlas View Post
If the truck is only going to be used on the street what is the point of building a cage for it? Just for aesthetics?
If I get a little crazy with it it could save me and my passenger. It is also for looks just as paint is and not having rust everywhere. It is also to test my skills out on, I never did something like this and now I more or less got a reason to try it.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #22
EnduringAtlas

Name: EnduringAtlas
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Just some food for thought here. A cage is normally used in conjunction with other safety equipment and gear, such as a helmet. If you take a bar off the head in a crash without one; even a minor crash it could be very bad news. Also in a accident scenario if you were to need extraction from the vehicle the bars could potentially cause problems for the first responders. Not something you want in a time crucial situation.

That being said there are plenty of cars and trucks on the street with cages.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #23
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
Leaf spring in the front with coil overs?

Why would you put a straight axle in the front if you want to make this thing handle around corners?

NASCAR bars? Why?

Chromoly cage? Why?

Just curious....
Quote:
Originally Posted by M249cummins View Post
It is going to be a 4x4 and I already have the dana 60, maybe I didn't understand that question?

Nascar bars it just something I thought looked cool, figured why not.

I have a lot of chromoly tubing at the house from a previous project, why buy more if you already got it. You suggesting mild steel?

Maybe some have over read that it will NEVER see a track or dragstrip. it is a truck what will only be on the street. it is not meant to be competitive, that is not the purpose of the build.

I have been doing some looking around and have decided to go with a 47RH with a manual vb. now I just got to find a good core 47RH to tear into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
Just curious, the NASCAR bars are totally unnecessary but don't hurt having them, and if you have the Chromoly laying around but mild steel would be better for what you are doing. If you want it to handle somewhat decent, I would suggest losing the solid front axle though, and at a minimum the leaf springs.
Quote:
Are you suggesting putting a IFS up front that retains the 4x4? I haven't looked into that but I would imagine that would be fairly complicated and expensive lol.

I would ditch the leafs but I can't seem to find any coilover that can Handel that kind of weight up front. I do have 2 qa1 coilover for the rear though.
I am not a metalurgist or chassis builder, but don't they recommend full heat treat for the ChroMo after the cage/chassis is built? Isn't that one of the many reasons that NASCAR chassis use DOM mild steel rather than ChroMo?

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #24
EnduringAtlas

Name: EnduringAtlas
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Yes heat treating is usually required after welding chromoly.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #25
M249cummins

Member`s Gallery
I prefer to use mild steel because it's easier and quicker to weld. I'm just bouncing ideas around right now.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #26
M249cummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduringAtlas View Post
Just some food for thought here. A cage is normally used in conjunction with other safety equipment and gear, such as a helmet. If you take a bar off the head in a crash without one; even a minor crash it could be very bad news. Also in a accident scenario if you were to need extraction from the vehicle the bars could potentially cause problems for the first responders. Not something you want in a time crucial situation.

That being said there are plenty of cars and trucks on the street with cages.
Like I said, not practical lol. I would at least have some foam wrap inside the cab

Old 07-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #27
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
If I get a little crazy with it it could save me and my passenger. It is also for looks just as paint is and not having rust everywhere. It is also to test my skills out on, I never did something like this and now I more or less got a reason to try it.
I don't want to ride with you!

Old 07-05-2017, 05:27 PM   #28
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Like I said, not practical lol. I would at least have some foam wrap inside the cab
Proper SFI roll cage padding is to protect a head that is inside a helmet, not an unprotected head...

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #29
M249cummins

Member`s Gallery
Point taken, some people don't want to be in a caged vehicle without a helmet, never crossed my mind I suppose.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #30
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
If you are good at those 4-links, just do the front the same and throw the leaves away.

Now you can hack up the frame from there forward to mimick the upside down Falcon. lol ... and lose a bunch of weight.

Have you selected your artillery yet??

I vote chain fed .50cal.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #31
M249cummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
If you are good at those 4-links, just do the front the same and throw the leaves away.

Now you can hack up the frame from there forward to mimick the upside down Falcon. lol ... and lose a bunch of weight.

Have you selected your artillery yet??

I vote chain fed .50cal.
I never done a 4 link in my life, I feel like I rubbed you and a few other people the wrong way judging by your sarcasm and that was not my intention. I came here for insight and constructive criticism which is always welcome, thanks.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:23 AM   #32
Cummins12Club

Name: Cummins12Club
Title: Happy Dinosaur
Member`s Gallery
I don't understand the theory behind this build. You said in your original post that it is going to be something that is possibly not street legal but then you turn around and say it will never see a track. Did I miss something in between?

Old 07-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #33
M249cummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12Club View Post
I don't understand the theory behind this build. You said in your original post that it is going to be something that is possibly not street legal but then you turn around and say it will never see a track. Did I miss something in between?

nope you are correct.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #34
Redrider2911

Name: Redrider2911
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
nope you are correct.
lol Good luck deciphering that!....
49 Willys Pickup. 5600lb. 11.8sec @115mph 1/4. 12 valve. MegaSquirted 47RH. 3.54 posi rear. 35" tires. 64mm HE351ve, S475 (75/96/1.32), A/W Intercooler. AFC mods. 5x16s. 191 DVs, 180 pump. 23*. 85psi. Build Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #35
Redrider2911

Name: Redrider2911
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I would ditch the leafs but I can't seem to find any coilover that can Handel that kind of weight up front. I do have 2 qa1 coilover for the rear though.

What do you mean you cant find a coilover that will handle the weight up front?...
49 Willys Pickup. 5600lb. 11.8sec @115mph 1/4. 12 valve. MegaSquirted 47RH. 3.54 posi rear. 35" tires. 64mm HE351ve, S475 (75/96/1.32), A/W Intercooler. AFC mods. 5x16s. 191 DVs, 180 pump. 23*. 85psi. Build Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #36
Torque Monkey

Name: Torque Monkey
Title: The show stopper!!!!!
Member`s Gallery
I remember when I had the same idea.... should have spent my money on Hookers and blow... would have been a better investment. LMAO!

Old 07-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #37
M249cummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque Monkey View Post
I remember when I had the same idea.... should have spent my money on Hookers and blow... would have been a better investment. LMAO!

I don't consider it an investment in the least actually, hobby, yes.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #38
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I never done a 4 link in my life, I feel like I rubbed you and a few other people the wrong way judging by your sarcasm and that was not my intention. I came here for insight and constructive criticism which is always welcome, thanks.
Maybe those other fellas replies were sarcasm and I apologize if you took it that way. I just read you were doing something different and I gave you feedback.

All good. You get some of those folks on here for sure. I have grown used to them. lol

Old 07-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #39
M249cummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrider2911 View Post
lol Good luck deciphering that!....

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, local laws and what they tolerate vary by region. One county may not care about lexan windows, roll cages and exposed tires while others do. But it is titled as of now and turn signals, lights etc will work.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #40
Torque Monkey

Name: Torque Monkey
Title: The show stopper!!!!!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I don't consider it an investment in the least actually, hobby, yes.
I know....

Closed Thread