Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 98-02 2nd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 10:28 AM   #201
cummins724

Name: cummins724
Title: BREAKING $HIT
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01CumminsSport View Post
ya i used a keyway that should be good for about 5* timing for the pump and i have 6* for the cam,

the s472 as a single is fun and all but it likes to heat soak before it gets lit and starts to cool things off so i go through alot of water with the truck, but it does surprise people how you can drive around the back roads with no boost and it runs fine then you let it lite and it will burry you til you run out of gear
Wonder if advancing cam timing will actually help? I was gonna try advancing the pump only. I'm gonna try to locate a timing light before doing it, this way we see what is happening.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #202
sstockton

Name: sstockton
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins724 View Post
Wonder if advancing cam timing will actually help? I was gonna try advancing the pump only. I'm gonna try to locate a timing light before doing it, this way we see what is happening.
I'm with you on that one. I really want to try it with a timing light and see what it shows. I'm also really curious to try advancing the cam as well. I need to pick up some of these 6* keyways.
Sean

Old 12-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #203
cummins724

Member`s Gallery
I'm gonna be a while before I get to mine. I am spraying bedliner on my rockers tomorrow, then I gotta do a Airdog install, a headgasket on my brothers 98.5, then paint 2 cars before I get to do my stuff.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #204
01CumminsSport

Name: 01CumminsSport
Title: CapeCodDieselPerformance
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
i have the cam at 6* advanced right now and the pump at 5*, i did loose 5 lbs of boost while staging from advancing the pump timing, but if i shut the comp off it will come back up to what i was at
01 ctd, edge comp, redline unlimited, meth, E.D.s469w/.90 housing, stage 2 monster pump with hurricane 2 6x.013's or 7x.018's and a few other goodies to make a fun daily driven street truck "FOR SALE"

06 ccsb laramie, Smarty, AFE, CCDP exhaust

Old 12-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #205
cummins724

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
i have the cam at 6* advanced right now and the pump at 5*, i did loose 5 lbs of boost while staging from advancing the pump timing, but if i shut the comp off it will come back up to what i was at
I called a friend today, not looking good for the timing light. I'm still gonna try it & see if I gain revs.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #206
weazel

Name: weazel
Title: 5th gear killer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
so taking out the added electronic timing added more boost?

Old 12-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #207
01CumminsSport

Member`s Gallery
ya when i turn the edge off or down the boost would go up some
01 ctd, edge comp, redline unlimited, meth, E.D.s469w/.90 housing, stage 2 monster pump with hurricane 2 6x.013's or 7x.018's and a few other goodies to make a fun daily driven street truck "FOR SALE"

Old 12-27-2009, 08:45 AM   #208
bosshogg

Name: bosshogg
Title: Running with the best...
Member`s Gallery
well then that must mean that 5* plus electronic advance over-times the injection event-at least when building boost. What happened up top?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #209
01CumminsSport

Member`s Gallery
with the electronics off i will do just over 40psi and with the edge back on and i using it for just timing the boost will peg a 60psi gauge

Old 12-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #210
cummins724

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
with the electronics off i will do just over 40psi and with the edge back on and i using it for just timing the boost will peg a 60psi gauge
So with the 5* added timing, you are saying that you have less boost only when staging? You have more boost in high rpm? Just making sure I understand.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #211
TURBOLVR

Name: TURBOLVR
Title: Mr. Whipple
Member`s Gallery
That makes sense. when mechanically adding timing, the box adds too much for the bottom end, but is adding the extra needed on top that wasnt previously available.

Great prices on what your Cummins needs:
WWW.CRAZYCARLSTURBOS.COM

Old 12-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #212
cummins724

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOLVR View Post
That makes sense. when mechanically adding timing, the box adds too much for the bottom end, but is adding the extra needed on top that wasnt previously available.
Thats what I was trying to clarify. If that is the case, it proves that moving 5* advanced is actually adding additional timing up top & taking away from low end.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #213
01CumminsSport

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thats what I was trying to clarify. If that is the case, it proves that moving 5* advanced is actually adding additional timing up top & taking away from low end.
yes that is what it is doing, but what we dont know is if it is still adding that extra 5* timing up top or is the computer backing it down some, but either way there is still more timing up top than there was before adding the 5*

Old 12-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #214
TURBOLVR

Name: TURBOLVR
Title: Mr. Whipple
Member`s Gallery
Think of it like a clock. If you have 25 mins of timing @ 12 base and then move base to 1 oclock, add that same 25 mins and it now goes to 30 but cant be less than 1. If the computer is reading off the cam sensor that you didnt move, it wont know the difference and cant correct for it.

Great prices on what your Cummins needs:
WWW.CRAZYCARLSTURBOS.COM

Old 12-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #215
cummins724

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Think of it like a clock. If you have 25 mins of timing @ 12 base and then move base to 1 oclock, add that same 25 mins and it now goes to 30 but cant be less than 1. If the computer is reading off the cam sensor that you didnt move, it wont know the difference and cant correct for it.
Thats what I was thinking up until 01cumminssport said that his truck turned 4300rpm even before moving the gear 5*. If he didn't gain any rpm, the change is useless.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #216
cummins724

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
He did move the cam though, he has a 6* keyway.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #217
01CumminsSport

Member`s Gallery
correct me if im wrong but on the 01's there is no crank sensor so if i advanced both of them about 5-6* then the motor thinks i didnt do anything but on the trucks with the cranksensor and a cam sensor they will go into limp mode since it is seeing them at a different location instead of being in sync. If thats true then i am doing 29* total timing, and i wasnt able to turn more rpm (electronics) but there is more power up there and i did dyno after i did the timing change and there wasnt much of a drop in power from peak all the way out past 4K

Old 12-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #218
cummins724

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
correct me if im wrong but on the 01's there is no crank sensor so if i advanced both of them about 5-6* then the motor thinks i didnt do anything but on the trucks with the cranksensor and a cam sensor they will go into limp mode since it is seeing them at a different location instead of being in sync. If thats true then i am doing 29* total timing, and i wasnt able to turn more rpm (electronics) but there is more power up there and i did dyno after i did the timing change and there wasnt much of a drop in power from peak all the way out past 4K
Good point. The 98.5-2000 have both sensors and the 01-02 engines just have the Cam sensor, no crank sensor.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #219
01CumminsSport

Member`s Gallery
i might give 10* a try tomorrow and see how it is seeing how i have have nothing on the schedule at the shop i fugured i might as well try some new things with timing, see if not have the crank sensor will let me add even more timing

Old 12-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #220
cummins724

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
i might give 10* a try tomorrow and see how it is seeing how i have have nothing on the schedule at the shop i fugured i might as well try some new things with timing, see if not have the crank sensor will let me add even more timing
Thats the spirit!!!

Closed Thread