Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 6.0 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

6.0 Powerstroke Discussion of the 03-06 6.0

View Poll Results: Best tranny
Full SunCoast 43 52.44%
SunCoast Super Duty rebuild 12 14.63%
ATS 11 13.41%
NADP 16 19.51%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #41
hpprose

Name: hpprose
Title: In the Dark
Member`s Gallery
O-yeah, try not hammering it right off the bat. Do 10 to 25 medium to light throttle acceleration (around 2000 rpm) through the gears. Then stop competely and do it again. That will speed up the learning process of the computer and hopefully keep you rolling!!!!

My life is like my license plate.

Everything is right side up, but feels upside down.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #42
06TWO50Diesel

Name: 06TWO50Diesel
Title: kinda goin somewhere fast
Member`s Gallery
I will give it some break in time this time, just to be sure. Thanks for the heads up

that's good to know that Tim is running that, because since I know it's an issue at this point, for a truck of his caliber, I'd WANT them!

and yes- I can't repeat enough of how great Ron and everyone over at Suncoast has taken this. Many conversations with John as well. Honestly, it's been a pleasure doing business with them and I view them in a VERY high standard in the diesel world! they've impressed me since day 1!

Crew Cab Short Bed
Click the image to open in full size.
613rwhp on FUEL ONLY!

Old 10-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #43
Redneck6.0L

Name: Redneck6.0L
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Good luck with your new trans. You'll have to let us know how it feels. When are you goin to the track next.

Nitrous is a Ford's best freind

Old 10-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #44
StuckinMud

Name: StuckinMud
Title: Absolutely Clueless....
Member`s Gallery

well at some point here I'll pull out number 6! I've smoked convertors, blown apart a pump, blew apart one way diodes, and cooked quite a few direct clutches! his one...well at wot at 80mph it starts to slip. It sucks because I'm now at stock power trying to keep this alive until I find better parts. Anyway everything in here is based off suncoast pistons using John woods mentality of factory clutches and steels.

Now the important part! Might want to stickey this folks.

Programing the computer to learn the transmission. Btw its a learning unit designed to compensate for wear over the life of the trans.

From official Ford documentation by the guys who developed it..

When first fired up repeat this 3 times with 3 seconds between the shifts:
Neutral to Reverse
Neutral to Drive
Drive to Reverse
Reverse to drive

Again repeat 2 more times.

Next Drive it. While driving you must go through the shift sequence 3 times (1-6)under LIGHT load.
Then again 3 times under medium load (1/2 throttle)
Then again 3 times full throttle! If I have to explain that one its going to invole an bandage requirement on your part!

Then .. You are supposed to repeat the shift sequences , light, med and wot , all in tow haul mode.
When you have done that its programmed!!

As far as clutches go it may take a few hundred miles to seat depending on what philosophy the used regarding the steels. If sanded yes, if smooth it will seat much sooner. If sanded 75% of the wear on the paper will happen during that time.. Word to the wise..baby it. FYI Suncoast kolenes are smooth and coated with a relatively fast break in.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #45
Abrannan19

Name: Abrannan19
Title: NOBAMA 09-12
Member`s Gallery
apparently that method isn't worth a crap if you are on trans number 6.

visit us @ www.firstcoastdieselperformance.com
Email: Abrannan19@aol.com
Phone: (904)-813-5067

Old 10-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #46
PSDPlayer

Name: PSDPlayer
Title: Captain Negativity!
Member`s Gallery
I just got word. Broke the BILLET Intermediate shaft. Nate you are just cursed.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #47
Abrannan19

Member`s Gallery
I agree he is cursed with bad luck on hard parts but good luck when it comes to customer service..

Old 10-22-2008, 10:01 PM   #48
Santa Gertrudis

Name: Santa Gertrudis
Title: 6.4LTTFMF
Member`s Gallery
I dont even know what to think. wow

2010 F-250 CC SB 4x4

It's got a chip in it

Deranged Performance

Old 10-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #49
hpprose

Member`s Gallery
what the heck is he doing? That's crazy

Old 10-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #50
Santa Gertrudis

Member`s Gallery
Im starting to wonder if its something in the tuning that is terribly wrong or something...

2010 F-250 CC SB 4x4

It's got a chip in it

Deranged Performance

Old 10-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #51
PSDPlayer

Name: PSDPlayer
Title: Captain Negativity!
Member`s Gallery
This transmission is equipped with a remote filter transmission fluid filter. Most of the transmission fluid which leaves the front fluid cooler tube connector passes through the remote filter and is directed into the cooling circuit. The remote filter manifold, by-passes the filter element and takes 10 % of the incoming hot fluid and directs it through a small orifice and into a serviceable filter element. The filtered transmission fluid is then directed back into the rear lubrication circuit through the larger opening in the remote filter manifold.

I'm starting to think something is getting back into the trans and pegging the EPC to 300+ psi and its ripping itself apart.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #52
Santa Gertrudis

Member`s Gallery
Doug, you are just a wealth of knowledge you know that?

2010 F-250 CC SB 4x4

It's got a chip in it

Deranged Performance

Old 10-23-2008, 08:08 AM   #53
720Deere

Name: 720Deere
Title: Dumbass
Member`s Gallery
Cut and paste baby....cut and paste!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:24 AM   #54
hpprose

Member`s Gallery
But with an intermedit shaft, extremely hot fluids would cause slippage, right? why would that cause a shaft it break?

He probably needs to take the truck to suncoast and have them install it and look at it.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #55
!!!PainTrain!!!

Name: !!!PainTrain!!!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDPlayer View Post
I just got word. Broke the BILLET Intermediate shaft. Nate you are just cursed.
That was an awsome run too. Once he stopped spinning and the full power of the motor went to the trans....BOOM.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #56
Abrannan19

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
Cut and paste baby....cut and paste!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #57
Dockboy

Name: Dockboy
Title: Comps BFF
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!PainTrain!!! View Post
That was an awsome run too. Once he stopped spinning and the full power of the motor went to the trans....BOOM.
It was because of my nitrous bottle!

Sorry about the luck Nate!

Old 10-23-2008, 11:46 AM   #58
lubeowner

Name: lubeowner
Member`s Gallery
copied from Mark on Powerstroke Nation.

If the shifting isn't EXACTLY right it will blow pieces all over the road. Go back up and read the long post I wrote. If you make a 3-5 shift and don't release the intermediate clutch fast enough you'll lock the output shaft to the case, and the rear wheels will stop turning for just as long as it takes to break something.

Here is his long post:

It's WAY harder to make software shift a TorqShift than a 4R100, due to the design of the two transmissions.

The 4R100 is an all non-synchronous design. This means that for each upshift all that happens is a clutch is applied. All you need to do is control the pressure to the oncoming clutch and you're all set.

The TorqShift is MUCH more complicated. The 1-2 and 5-6 shifts are the same, they are non-synchronous and all you need to do is control the pressure of the OD clutch. The other shifts are the problem.

The 2-3 is a swap shift. This is a special catagory of difficult shift. I believe Ford is the only trans maker in the world that still does swap shifts. Others have put swap shift transmissions in production and then replaced them within a few years. To make a swap shift the TorqShift needs to release the OD clutch to downshift the OD gearset while applying the intermediate clutch to upshift the Simpson planetary gearset. This is an upshift and a downshift occuring at the same time in the same trans. From my experience these two shifts MUST complete within 30 milliseconds of each other or it's going to feel awful. If the OD releases too soon the engine speed will flare. The amount of flare is dependant on how much sooner it completes. If it completes before the intermediate has enough capacity the trans goes back to first gear! Then it has to make a 1-3 shift. A few WOT 1-3 shifts means the trans comes out to replace the intermediate clutch. Been there, done that. If the OD releases after the intermediate comes on you end up in 4th gear (1.09:1 ratio) then downshift back to third gear (1.54:1 ratio.) Either way it's really bad.

Now if you made it though that you need to make a 3-5 shift. 4th gear is the 1.09:1 ratio that really isn't used. The 3-5 is a synchronous shift. It's timing requirements are about the same as the swap shift, but there is no downshift. To make the shift the intermediate clutch has to release while the direct clutch applies. If the intermediate releases too soon you get an engine speed flare. If the intermediate releases too late you get a tie up. A tie up is when all three pieces of the planetary gear set are held from turning. This means the output shaft of the trans STOPS. That's not a pleasant thing to have happen when you're at WOT making a 3-5 shift. You can lock the wheels on an upshift! I've done this, too. You can also break expen$ive parts doing a tie up.

Now start thinking of the combination shifts that can happen. How about cruising at 55 MPH behind some slow poke on a two lane road? A passing zone opens and you floor it. Now you may want to go from 6th to 3rd gear. You need to release the direct clutch and apply the intermediate. That's a synchronous shift in reverse.

As you can see from just these few examples it isn't a trivial task to make one of these transmissions shift. It's what I did at Ford for quite a few years, three of them working on the TorqShift. I'd be really surprised if anyone makes a controller for the TorqShift that works really well. I think someone could make one that does some basic shifting, but getting one so that it shifts at least as well as a stock trans is going to be a HUGE task.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:46 AM   #59
mikehalseyjr

Name: mikehalseyjr
Title: Ride the Elephant
Member`s Gallery
My suncoast went up the creek, I called suncoast and was told by the late Mr. Webb that i didnt have a suncoast trans, and I was on my own. But the following week I saw a suncoast ad in Diesel Power with my pickup in it.

FYI

Old 10-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #60
Mooring Product

Name: Mooring Product
Title: I just don't care
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehalseyjr View Post
My suncoast went up the creek, I called suncoast and was told by the late Mr. Webb that i didnt have a suncoast trans, and I was on my own. But the following week I saw a suncoast ad in Diesel Power with my pickup in it.

FYI
I have seen that picture. I thought it was your truck...

2012 3500 Mega Dually Laramie loaded 3:73

Speed never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you. Jeremy Clarkson.

[url]www.mooringproductsworldwide.com[url]

Closed Thread