HE351VE on a 12 valve

I cant wait to hear how well your control system works.

I have the twins off of my 4 cylinder right now and will be trying the HE351vgt when I get home in another week or two. I just need to decide how to control it.

It IS dumb! LOL just kidding. I am using the air cyl from a pac brake to actuate everything. Regulated drive pressure will keep the turbo from closing up and acting like an exhaust brake.

Im hoping to someday swap my he351 with a he351ve in my twin setup. Anyway that the turbo could be controlled with electronics, like on the 6.7?

The problem with electronics is they fail frequently, that's why you can buy these turbos with low miles and brand new bearings for 150 bucks. I can't imagine the electronics lasting even a day or two if you run it without the water hooked up. A good HE351ve with functional electronics will run at least 400 bucks and possibly 8-900.

I think a nifty air cylinder setup with a two way ram would be perfect. One side activated off of boost pressure to open up the housing. One side to close it down and act as an exhaust brake activated off an in-cab switch.

Lookin good CSM! I've been to Colorado a few times and found that 8-12k elevation is quite a bit different than 500-1500 ft.

I think a nifty air cylinder setup with a two way ram would be perfect. One side activated off of boost pressure to open up the housing. One side to close it down and act as an exhaust brake activated off an in-cab switch.

Is mine not nifty enough?:hehe:

It will have a switch to cut the drive pressure to it and exhaust brake mode will activate. It is a single acting air cyl w/ spring assist. Meaning, It requires a single source of air to extend and a spring snaps it closed.

what type of boost do you think this thing will hold. If you could run 50 to 60 on it with out breaking the shaft. It would be a awesome work stock turbo for pulling and how big is the exhast housing. just wondering

Thanks

Im hoping to someday swap my he351 with a he351ve in my twin setup. Anyway that the turbo could be controlled with electronics, like on the 6.7?

I'm trying to remember who has one out, but someone has a stand alone controller for the Holset VGT... Talk to the guys at Industrial Injection, they've been playing with them.

what type of boost do you think this thing will hold. If you could run 50 to 60 on it with out breaking the shaft. It would be a awesome work stock turbo for pulling and how big is the exhast housing. just wondering
Thanks

Again, talk the the guys at II... They stuffed a 64mm wheel in a 351 and took a 6.7 to about 700hp fuel only. That was a while ago too (June), when I called they said they were going to throw some bigger injectors (they were stock) and some more aggressive tuning at it because they thought the turbo had MORE in it!!!

IIRC the housing on the 351 goes somewhere from 3.5cm to 26. Not sure, I'll have to get Aero in here. He clayed the 351 he's been playing around with and has done the math...

EDIT: I pushed my 451 to 45psi before I split a boot in half :bang I still haven't put in my mack rack plug or advanced my timing either. That was also with a 3kgwm that starts defueling at 2800ish and 5x.014's

Welp... so much for working on it this weekend. I got shipped off to Montana for a high profile Well.

Maybe the end of the month this project will see some growth =/

Welp... so much for working on it this weekend. I got shipped off to Montana for a high profile Well.

Maybe the end of the month this project will see some growth =/

Well, I guess that sucks... Still, I'm sure you get paid well, so it can't be all that bad :Cheer:

Returned home from MT and managed to skirt my way out of going to Williston, ND for another wildcat well...:rockwoot:

Here is the start of the down pipe and discharge pipe.

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

Now to finish the exhaust, discharge, oil lines, and hook up/test the control system:bang

:ft:

Some thoughts on the control system...

I have a received a couple questions regarding my proposed control system via PM that I will try and address for everyone.

It is common understanding that an exhaust brake works by providing drive or back pressure for the engine to work against, slowing the engine down.

With the veins closed down all the way, there should be around 60psi (hopefully) of drive pressure produced, effectively acting as an exhaust brake.

For my proposed control system, It will require a small amount of drive pressure to expand the pneumatic cyl a bit to hold it at a minimum position to provide adequate spool-up and not choke the engine down killing the throttle response.

A byproduct of closing the veins down to produce the drive pressure, is that the turbine will now be spinning like crazy! Hopefully I can produce a lb or 2 of boost at idle to combat the dead throttle (if any) that is produced from the closed veins.

:charger:

I now welcome constructive criticism:hehe:

I'm trying to remember who has one out, but someone has a stand alone controller for the Holset VGT... Talk to the guys at Industrial Injection, they've been playing with them.

Again, talk the the guys at II... They stuffed a 64mm wheel in a 351 and took a 6.7 to about 700hp fuel only. That was a while ago too (June), when I called they said they were going to throw some bigger injectors (they were stock) and some more aggressive tuning at it because they thought the turbo had MORE in it!!!

IIRC the housing on the 351 goes somewhere from 3.5cm to 26. Not sure, I'll have to get Aero in here. He clayed the 351 he's been playing around with and has done the math...

EDIT: I pushed my 451 to 45psi before I split a boot in half :bang I still haven't put in my mack rack plug or advanced my timing either. That was also with a 3kgwm that starts defueling at 2800ish and 5x.014's

Called industrial Injection. No such luck. They have nothing.

nope, dont know any shane...... I talked to 2 different guys though. One is i think the 'stock' department, another in the 'performance' department. Neither really had any clue what i was talking about.

I have a received a couple questions regarding my proposed control system via PM that I will try and address for everyone.

It is common understanding that an exhaust brake works by providing drive or back pressure for the engine to work against, slowing the engine down.

With the veins closed down all the way, there should be around 60psi (hopefully) of drive pressure produced, effectively acting as an exhaust brake.

For my proposed control system, It will require a small amount of drive pressure to expand the pneumatic cyl a bit to hold it at a minimum position to provide adequate spool-up and not choke the engine down killing the throttle response.

A byproduct of closing the veins down to produce the drive pressure, is that the turbine will now be spinning like crazy! Hopefully I can produce a lb or 2 of boost at idle to combat the dead throttle (if any) that is produced from the closed veins.

:charger:

I now welcome constructive criticism:hehe:

Started thinking about this a little more now, scary I know!

I vacuum solenoid/servo (double acting cyl to be exact) might be in order to maintain the minimum geometry position for the housing. Flip a switch and its exhaust brake mode!!

Then I can tune the minimum geometry position for maximum spool up and not have to worry about choking the engine out.

And I had another thought..... even MORE scary!!

What about using a doubling acting cyl using drive pressure to open the veins and boost pressure to close the veins.

When drive pressure is higher than boost pressure, the veins would open and allow drive pressure to decrease bringing the system to equilibrium, boost psi = drive psi.

When boost psi is higher than drive, the veins would close, causing drive pressure to build and once again bringing the system to equilibrium along with spooling the turbo faster.

Follow?:bang

Thoughts?

Back