Does your steering suck?

You guys change out the power steering pump as well? Or can you use the factory 2nd gen pump? You guys buying new gearboxes or rebuilts for the 3rd gen gearbox? Does the factory steering shaft mate up with the 3rd gen gearbox? Nice thread.

The original power steering pump will work just fine.

The end of the steering shaft that mates to the 3rd gen box is different then the 2nd gen.

I cut the factory end off and welded a 3rd gen steering shaft to it.

CIMG1518.jpg

kinda off topic but i "upgraded" to the 1997 steering witch many including me say its the best design. i have no steering wonder at all. and it cost me 400 bucks and about 40 minutes of work. best investment for steering ive done! go on dtr.com and search for 1997 dodge steering upgrade. a guy did a whole right up about it!

I'm with you. DSS, crossover steering, weld in track bar, rock ram steering bushing, and yet I'm still going through boxes and having to tighten bearing pre load and center adjustments. It's f'in ridiculous. I can move my steering wheel back and forth 4" before it ever starts to turn the tires.

Sounds like mine...sucks.

Tyler,

I am pretty sure you WILL NOT be able to use your DSS.

With the new gear, the pit man arm is closer to he gear. Meaning the the shaft is much shorter and the leverage the pit man arm is able to transfer to the output shaft is greatly reduced.

Meaning you don't NEED it, or it won't fit? I can't see not trying to make something like that work.

kinda off topic but i "upgraded" to the 1997 steering witch many including me say its the best design. i have no steering wonder at all. and it cost me 400 bucks and about 40 minutes of work. best investment for steering ive done! go on dtr.com and search for 1997 dodge steering upgrade. a guy did a whole right up about it!

What system would a 98 12v have?

Chris

Sounds like mine...sucks.

Meaning you don't NEED it, or it won't fit? I can't see not trying to make something like that work.

What system would a 98 12v have?

Chris

He is probably talking about the T style, vs. the Y style, but I could be wrong.

Which year of gearbox did you go with? you get a rebuild or new gearbox? The old style steering pump uses power steering fluid and the new style uses ATF+ fluid? So which fluid are you using? Thanks for the good info buddy.

:pop:

I just put on new tires with 17/32 tall tread blocks....jesus, I can't hardly keep it straight. It wanders like a drunk sailor. Nice thread. More info....

just look at your were the track bar and drag link meet by the left tire. if they meet 10 inches from the end of the drag link then its not the same as the 97 steering. also the 97 steering doesnt have a hole in the middle of your drag link to mount the stabilizer, it clamps around it.

Considering that not one, but two moderators on this site have 2cnd gen trucks, he could sell them here and make a killing, and do it all within site rules.

A DSS and 3rd gen trackbar took care of my steering wander, along with new steering stabilizers.

My '99 has the inverted T, and the '97 has the y. I prefer the T setup much better.

I want 3rd gen steering as well and might as well since my box is shot and leaking. Not going to pay 1200 for the kit though.. So get us some brackets! :thankyou2:

Considering that not one, but two moderators on this site have 2cnd gen trucks, he could sell them here and make a killing, and do it all within site rules.

Gotten many PM's about selling them, but I have to talk to my buddy.

IF we do end up making a bunch, I will be sure to contact you guys(site administration)and make everything legit. (No pricing or anything has been talked about at this point. Even in the 15+ PM's I have gotten)

Mike,

I used a new gear for an 05 2500.

There is a TSB that changes the use of purpose made power steering luid to ATF +4.

I used ATF +4 and have been using it for years. (With the old gear also)

I will keep you guys updated on what happens.

Back