Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Towing and Hauling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Towing and Hauling Towing, hauling, hitches, and trailer discussion can be found here

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
9 LIVES

Name: 9 LIVES
Title: Demolition Expert
Member`s Gallery
Convert Hydraulic dump trailer from electric to gas

I've got a 14ft. dump trailer that im tired of having to hook a charger to once or twice a day. I can kill a new battery in 6-8 months. I've tried deep cycle & big rig batteries with no luck. I get roughly 4-5 dumps per battery charge.....

Saturday & Sunday I dumped 15 times combined and spent more time waiting on the battery charger then the work took.

Now I saw a truck with a dump trailer recently that had a 5.5hp honda engine powering the dump. That's what I need! I've got a spare 5.5 honda that came off one of our lawn spray rigs that was parted out. Anyone know what all is needed to swap things over?

Right now the trailer has a marine battery with a haldex electric hydraulic pump. Im not 100% sure on the specs but I do know its low GPM, something in the 1.5-3GMP range. Every hydraulic pump I looked at that would connect to the honda engine seemed to be in the 5-10GPM+ range

What would be needed for the swap?
-Engine
-Hydraulic pump mounting bracket to mount pump to engine
-pump to engine shaft coupler
-Hydraulic valve (what type?)

Im sure im missing things.....nothing is easy!

Resevoir is already there and lines are there from the twin cylinders to the tank and pump.

Heads I win, tails you lose....
-Lee-

Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
9724VF350

Name: 9724VF350
Title: Tractor Guy
Member`s Gallery
On my gooseneck trailer and truck I have 2/0 battery cables and a quick disconnect to connect them together. 2 winch batteries on the trailer, 2 batteries in the truck. Truck keeps winch batteries charged, winch has 4 batteries to feed it.

Wife's ride-03 Excursion 12V swap in the works.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
gwhammy

Name: gwhammy
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
That's what I was thinking. The dump trailer I built years ago had welder lead run from the battery of the truck and a quick connect welder lead hookup. Never had battery problems.

I hate dealing with small gas engines but the newer ones are probably better than the old briggs I've messed with.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
9 LIVES

Name: 9 LIVES
Title: Demolition Expert
Member`s Gallery
The honda engines are leaps and bounds ahead of briggs when it comes to longevity & starting.

I've got 5.5 honda engines on lawn spraying rigs that have 2,000 hours and still fire up with one pull on choke. Tha'ts after sitting all winter! I have no issues with starting the motors every 30 minutes ( I do this all day with other lawn equipment!)

Heads I win, tails you lose....
-Lee-

Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
L6powered

Name: L6powered
Member`s Gallery
I have 2 dumps trailers and run quick connects plugs also. I don't even have batteries in the trailers anymore. I also have a set of jumper cables that plug in so I don't have to pop the hood to give or receive jump starts. Best setup by far. I have had it setup like this since 2007.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Luken

Name: Luken
Title: ........
Member`s Gallery
I've never had to dump repeatedly until recently moving clay from the new pond and I would get 4 dumps per charge. Last week I bought a hydraulic dove gooseneck with a winch and the owner had put the quick disconnects on it. It worked very well with no batteries in the trailers. I need to get the wires ran on my truck and get my dump trailer setup and I won't have any issues anymore.

The jumper cables is a great idea I need to do also.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #7
tinkertoy

Name: tinkertoy
Member`s Gallery
My brother inlaw had a dump trailor and had the same problem and sold it to a friend, he had the same problem if dumping a heavy load more than a few times a day. He added more batteries and he said he could dump heavy loads with ease now, but i have seen some dump trailors with a small engine also and they say they work great also!

Closed Thread