Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 98-02 2nd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
edmeyers

Name: edmeyers
Title: Addicted Diesel
Member`s Gallery
erratic and stuck throttle on vp44

so I've been unsuccessful resolving a problem. ive been having for the last 3 months. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

currently I have 11 codes:
this has the check engine light on as well

The check engine light has actually been on for a couple of years, but no drivability issues noticed.

the mods that might explain some of the codes are:

1. joker fab intake so no grid heaters (I disconnected the relay activation wires that run the grid heaters.) done in 2017 this did not immediately trigger the check engine light thou.

2. single battery on drivers side

3. I just replaced the APPS with new timbo. my analog volt meter quit working so I did not calibrate the new one.

4. new fass wiring harness I just put on hooks to keyed hot not the fuel pump circuit.

truck is a 2001.5 ho truck with a smarty, redline, and a SO pump.

the truck runs away with itself like the throttle is stuck for about 1.5 seconds and then will only rev to 1500 rpm's but it is 1500 rpm or idle nothing in-between. shut down does not change it but if you continue to drive it will go back to running normal in about 20 min. or if you shut in down the next day in might be fine or resume the same behavior.

to fix I have:
1. replaced timbo apps with new one. same symptoms

2. I sent a computer out of a 99 auto truck to carcomputerexchange to have it flashed to a 01 ho truck. same symptoms except now my cruise isn't working.
tried running an 02 ho truck computer throttle was very sensitive but symptoms were not as bad however I'm not convinced it fixed the problem cause I didn't run it very long, and my oil pressure gauge would not work.

3. new fass wiring harness

4. installed flex-a-lite variable fan controller, and removed the standard built-in relays. my thought was the electric fans I have run for 10 years come on at 100% which is a 28 amp draw (headlight dim quite a bit and have always done so) with the new controller they come on at 60% of 16.8 amps. this did not fix the problem.

5. last night I unplugged the blue and green wires from the redline and test drove it 15 miles so far no stuck throttle but before I did that and the new apps I only had 6 codes now I have 11.

I am very confused and need help trouble shooting.

1994 Dodge 2500 4X4 Money Pit 390k 10 plate, 4k gsk, 60lbs springs ported and oringed head, 5" exhaust, 215 injectors, stock turbo. 302 hp 799 torque. need more air

Old 08-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Holy batschidt. I think you need to concentrate on one thing at a time there, captain.

Why delete grid heaters? You won't feel the .124 hp you gain.

Calibrate the apps.

Start small and work up.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Last edited by 4x4dually; 08-01-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #3
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Take all of the add-ons off, power adder, redline, eliminate all external, potential gremlins.
In short, go back to stock as much as you can, then work up from there.

Mark.

Closed Thread