A/C draining onto floorboard

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
94 dodge 3500 AC is draining condensation into the driverside floor board. I know this must be common on older vehicles. Is it usually due to a plugged drain tube? or broken tube? Is their a common go to fix for this?

Here is the evaporator box on my 97. Take it apart and clean it out. Eventually it will clog so bad when you make a turn it will pour out your floor vents haha I was lucky having a rubber floor and no carpet.

Also a good time to replace heater core and evaporator while your there.

Attachments

• 20180621_123425.jpg
    20180621_123425.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Something else I noticed, this truck being a lawn maintenance truck pulling a trailer with mowers or tank sprayer.....I will be at a clients house for 15-20 minutes and walk over the the truck and you can see the passenger side door is leaking water! the door is full of water as well. I'm wondering how the water is getting into the door. Along with the passenger floor board stays soaked!

The water goes to end of tube and runs right back down the bottom side, down the inside of the firewall, and on to the floor.
Buy a 90* rubber hose fitting and slip it on the evaporator drain tube.

Is your door dripping water from a previous rain shower or driving through water on the road?

It's not dripping from rain. At the point when I noticed it dripping from the door we had not had rain for over 30 days.

There's no cabin air filter on these trucks. Not even on 4th Gens... So dust will collect on a cold and condensated evaporator (the thing that gets cold). Because of this, the dust collects and will clog the evaporator over time. That mud film it leaves can fall off and clog the drain. You can either tear out the dash to take off the EVAP assembly and clean/replace stuff, or... You can take out the blower motor and resistor block, and blow it out with compressed air and water.

I do mine with an assortment of toilet bowl cleaners I can get in there. As well as compressed air, and a weed killed sprayer that I fill with water. Then I bend the head to my liking. It's a *****, but it takes about 30min and works 95% as well as taking the dash apart.

Good luck!

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/kool-it-4130/chemicals---fluids-16461/cleaners-16866/cleaners---degreasers-16533/engine-degreaser-17726/24e4cd6fa634/lubegard-kool-it-foam-cleaner/96030/4410009

We use foam cleaner at work when customers can it afford the replacement. It works fairly well. I haven’t used this brand but I’d assume it’s all the same..

Not sure on the newer body styles but the first gens have a large spot you can cut a 4” hole or so and make an access point to be able to clean it out every year or so. Large hole plug to seal up the hole.

sweet thanks guys. I'm going to try cleaning that evaporator up as soon as I get finished cleaning up hurricane florence damage!

845FADE0-7E57-4A52-BBBD-6EC1C640A0C1.jpg

D86B4E6B-5F0F-4CD2-943E-6E81E036765A.jpg

Well The pics will only upload upside down? Anyway you will get the jest of it.
I put a filter in the air box to keep clean! Had to refurbished HVAC box in mine. With new cores in I wanted this to be My last dash? So I pulled front cowling, covered passenger side hole with screen to keep the needles and leafs out. Then modified are box in pics to take a plane jane cabin filter!

Back