Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
Jballou

Name: Jballou
Title: FNG
Member`s Gallery
48re delayed shifting from 3rd to OD

I have a call into the trans builder, but he's busy.

Back story is the Stage 2 Garmon that I have has 50k miles on it. Oil changed regularly, but haven't ever adjusted the bands or anything else. Temp has been kept in check. During my last trip out of town with trailer in tow. It would seem to take anywhere from 4 to 30 seconds to go from tow haul to OD after depressing the button, light goes off, converter unlocks, engine just revs, on and off the throttle won't make it shift. Then it has a mind of it's own, and gets to it.

Fast forward, once home, the trans will shift thru the gears and lock up fine in Tow Haul, just like on the trip. And will shift just fine when on the throttle good, thru all of the gears, and then overdrive like normal. Even when putting along does fine until 45mph of so, when it should be shifting again. Just hangs for 10 to 30 seconds.

I have dropped the pan and there isn't chunks or snap rings in there. Looks fine to me. Checked the shift cable out and it seems ok, not tight or loose. Did place an order for all of the electronics. Any clue what Jeff wants on the band adjustment when I go back inside? Factory specs? I have read about different lever ratios being a different procedure. And am I headed the right direction with the OD/TCC solenoid?

Old 07-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
SixOhh

Name: SixOhh
Title: EPA unfriendly
Member`s Gallery
did you get the new TC solenoid in? that is where i would start. i replaced SEVERAL of them before going to a Goerend HP VB. looking back now that is the best thing i ever did for my trans...
H-Town Off-Road

Old 07-18-2017, 12:23 AM   #3
Jballou

Member`s Gallery
I got thru to Jeff, he suggested a new pressure regulator and solenoid, as well as thinking that the kickdown cable was binding. Said to check that. I had placed an order for all of the internal electronics, as well as the GM solenoid. Once all of that stuff came in, got it tossed in, adjusted the bands, reset the kickdown to where I thought it should be. 75 to 80% at full throttle. Fresh fluid, went for a run, and quickly realized that the cable was way to tight. It would rev out in 2nd and 3rd, never making it to 4th. Several more trials on the cable, moving it to the most relaxed spot, provided the proper shift to 4th, and then into OD. I can honestly say I don't ever remember it shifting this precise and snug. Felt good to finally do something right.

Any tips for in the future on adjustment of the cable?

Old 07-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
Jballou

Member`s Gallery
Well it crapped the bed again. Wouldn't shift past 3rd last night. I confirmed all of electrical fittings, double checked the kickdown cable. It is now set to zero slack when throttle is closed. Just as the manual lays out. Still wouldn't shift the last gear. It seems to go into 3rd lock up just like tow haul at 55, and the rpm's keep climbing. No shifting into overdrive.

Swapped relays, and checked all of the fuses.

I'm beyond feed up at this point. Truck goes to a shop tomorrow.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Jballou

Member`s Gallery
So I had a late night memory relapse. I torqued the valve body back up to the main case at 50 inch lbs. that was the spec for the GM solenoid block. At the time I thought that was what the rest of the bolts should be done at. Research shows otherwise. 105 inch lbs.

Think that might be it? If so I'm kicking myself in the .......

Old 07-27-2017, 02:55 AM   #6
Ackerdiesel

Name: Ackerdiesel
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
In my opinion no the VB not exactly as tight as it should be wouldn't cause it. Sounds like something electrical or a damaged seal on the OD piston. Possible it over traveled and got nicked. All you did to the VB was change electronics correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BD Diesel Performance
Diesel Performance Converters
Pro Street Diesel
Drivelines Plus
Done Right Diesel Performance
Firepunk

Old 07-27-2017, 03:43 AM   #7
01silver bullet

Name: 01silver bullet
Title: Washed up
Member`s Gallery
In my opinion having it only torqued to 50 inch pounds may be low enough to get a cross leak between the body and case and think it's worth a hell of a shot to go in and toque them to 105 inch pounds.

Siskiyou Diesel Performance

Old 07-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
Jballou

Member`s Gallery
This is the text I received from the builders office manager. The valve body torque didn't seem to matter

Yes. The snap ring was broken, 4th clutches burnt, 4th seal failed, 2nd band burnt, thrust washers were all worn out, stator was never machined, rear drum and support are bad, sun gear is pitting. And I'm really surprised they didn't put the HP clutches in it either.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #9
Dom_c13b

Name: Dom_c13b
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I just rebuilt a "built trans" from Garmons and wasn't really impressed with what was inside. It was his 650hp trans, and it really only had a billet input shaft, billet triple disk and a shift kit. It did have 6 clutch's in the direct pack but other than that the trans was pretty much stock. No upgraded servo's or servo covers, just a basic transgo and billet input shaft. For the money that they get for those transmissions you'd think it would have a few more goodies inside but oh well, they are making a killing on them!

Old 07-29-2017, 07:10 PM   #10
Jballou

Member`s Gallery
No kidding, a joke none the less. 50k with just running a Smarty and 50 hp injectors. In the last 4K miles HP with a tow tune. Not acceptable to me.

Closed Thread