Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
Dalpilot

Name: Dalpilot
Title: Joe Nobody!
Member`s Gallery
AFE stage II or Airaid

Is the AFE stage II a waste of $$ for the 06 cummins like it is for the 6.0?
I know they cost a lot more, but are they any better. The Ford AFE stage II's suck.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Mark Craig

Name: Mark Craig
Title: CompetitionDiesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Dalpilot,

Hey if for no other reason they have the Pro Guard 7 to protect the engine from dirt!

Mark @ DPPI
DIESEL PERFORMANCE PARTS 1-866-455-7788 www.DIESELPERFORMANCEPARTS.COMMBRP SMARTY EDGE AUTO METER DiPRICOL/ISSPRO GAUGES/MOUNTS SUPERCHIPS PREDATOR BULLY DOG AFE INTAKE/EXHAUST TS PERFORMANCE POWERSLOT AIR DOG/RAPTOR FUEL SYSTEMS PML TRANNY PANS/DIFF COVERS ARP FLUIDAMPR STANADYNE INDUSTRIAL INJ

Old 08-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
GHowieFarts

Name: GHowieFarts
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalpilot
Is the AFE stage II a waste of $$ for the 06 cummins like it is for the 6.0?
I know they cost a lot more, but are they any better. The Ford AFE stage II's suck.
My experience with the AFE has been different than yours................

2006 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab. Intake stuff, Edge (went belly-up 10/7, SCT on the way), Exhaust stuff.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
stage one pro guard 7

Save your money and go stage one. The real power comes from other mods anyway. There is a good article in Diesel Power Mag. on intake systems.No real big difference in flow among all of the different brands.
Fact is: The pro guard 7 stops more dirt. Dirt bad.
I'm not a big fan of the molded intake tubes as an add on. Unless looks mean something? I understand that counts for something.

Last edited by Snedge; 09-08-2006 at 01:33 PM.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
chevyguy

Name: chevyguy
Title: Handlin Biznez
Member`s Gallery
I would recomend an AFE intake over the AirAid. I have heard several stories of the AirAid colapsing. We have never had a problem with the AFEs we've sold.
270-746-9999

Old 09-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #6
haz-mat19

Name: haz-mat19
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I have to agree, go with the stage one AFE. The pro guard 7 filters the most dirt, which is what you need anyway. My dad has an airaid on his 6.0 and is not happy with it.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
DPDIESEL

Name: DPDIESEL
Member`s Gallery
Go stage 1 or some other brand. we have had nothing but trouble with the stage 2's and it is not much of a gain if any.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
nummit

Name: nummit
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz-mat19
I have to agree, go with the stage one AFE. The pro guard 7 filters the most dirt, which is what you need anyway. My dad has an airaid on his 6.0 and is not happy with it.
Why is he unhappy?

Old 09-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #9
zukgod1

Name: zukgod1
Title: Old fart
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy
I would recomend an AFE intake over the AirAid. I have heard several stories of the AirAid colapsing. We have never had a problem with the AFEs we've sold.

Gotta be carefull with comments like that..

Got pics? seen it?

Me either.

I will agree with the AFE comment even thought I dont have one. I like thier filters a bit better than Airaid, not sure why but I do. I think its because AFE uses that new cool filter media and Airaid uses the same stuff K&N does (I think).

Airaid doesnt seem to me to be designed to really compete with AFE? However I havnet seen anything other than thier quick fit systems using the bottom of the factory air box and replacing the top with a new open design v/s AFE has a complete replacement air box and usuallt the intake tube as well.

I looked at several systems when I bought mine and decided on the Airaid.
I sell both as well but I just couldnt see the extra $$$ for the AFE system

dan

Last edited by zukgod1; 09-08-2006 at 12:04 PM.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
oil-burner

Name: oil-burner
Member`s Gallery
i have a stage II on my 97 with a outerwear, have no problem at all. other than the dam thing sucks so hard that it pulls the insulation out of the hood pad, on a weeks worth of driving i can collect a good sized fur ball from the filter

scot

Old 09-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #11
Mark Craig

Member`s Gallery
DPDIESEL,

What kind of issues have you had we have had nothing but great feedback on the Stage II's????

Mark @ DPPI
DIESEL PERFORMANCE PARTS 1-866-455-7788 www.DIESELPERFORMANCEPARTS.COMMBRP SMARTY EDGE AUTO METER DiPRICOL/ISSPRO GAUGES/MOUNTS SUPERCHIPS PREDATOR BULLY DOG AFE INTAKE/EXHAUST TS PERFORMANCE POWERSLOT AIR DOG/RAPTOR FUEL SYSTEMS PML TRANNY PANS/DIFF COVERS ARP FLUIDAMPR STANADYNE INDUSTRIAL INJ

Old 09-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #12
Mark Craig

Member`s Gallery
zukgod1,

The AFE uses a Patended 5 layer media. Each layer has a slightly smaller air hole and they cross stack the media so the air has to turn as it goes thru the layers, does an excellent job of stopping dirt!!! As far as I know all others use 4 or 5 layers of the same media and create a straight thru tunnel in the layers.

Mark @ DPPI

Old 09-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #13
DPDIESEL

Name: DPDIESEL
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Craig
DPDIESEL,

What kind of issues have you had we have had nothing but great feedback on the Stage II's????

Mark @ DPPI

Mark,

I agree that they do work good but with the new re-flash of Fords it doesn't. We had 3 different customers that had the aFe on there truck and it ran great, then they get the latest dealer re-flash and there truck won't run with the air intake on. We called aFe about the problem and got told it was because of the tube and that they had replacment ones to send out but we never got them. Then we had 2 06's and both of them wouldn't work. We just decided to use the stage 1 or another brand to go around these issues.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #14
Wyatt Earp

Name: Wyatt Earp
Title: Owner / Diesel Geek
Member`s Gallery
I have a Stage 1 in my VW TDI and a Stage 2 in my CTD. The CTD has the normal element with a prefilter on it. Would recomment prefilters on any of them.

All oiled media filters need extra care and attention to be any good.
Diesel Luxury: Not Paid For: 2008 Mercedes-Benz R320 CDI - Loaded, 7spd AWD, 7 seater wagon.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #15
Mark Craig

Member`s Gallery
DPDIESEL,

Ok good info. FYI don't sell the 54/75-10392 to any Ford 6.0 newer than a November 2005 build date and you should be OK! The new Stage II+ 54/75-11022 works on them all and actually out performs the enclosed 54/75-10392 Stage II. Maybe that'll help. If you still need the tubes call and they will get them to you but there is a large back order.

Mark @ DPPI

Old 10-16-2006, 06:15 PM   #16
revoaggie

Name: revoaggie
Title: dieselsmoke
Member`s Gallery
I i just installed a stage II afe with the 7 ply. You can def. hear the air enter. not sure on the power gains but looks nicer than that stock box

Old 10-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #17
cowpunk

Name: cowpunk
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I just put my stage II on a few weeks ago and love it!!! Also it lets the sound a billion times cooler.
03, HO Cummins, 3500 Quadcab longbed, NV5600, BD short shift with custom SRT-10 shifter, AFE Stage II, Smarty CR, 5 inch exhaust, Optix gauges, KORE Chase system, 35 inch BFG A/T's rollin on 20 inch Weld Commandos, Amsoil'd

Old 10-16-2006, 07:54 PM   #18
Billysgoat

Name: Billysgoat
Title: The ANTI-BLING!
Member`s Gallery
I just switched out the BHAF in my truck for an AFE PG 7 with prefilter, so far I really like it, throttle response is much improved as is turbo spoolup.

03 Dog, named Clifford, to heavy to be fast.
11 335D, the grin machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
I was there & I herd Heath say.........."LET GO OF MY EARS, I KNOW WHAT I`M DOING"

BTB,BBB

Closed Thread