driveshaft length

Well it's like 8 feet long almost, however long QCLB shafts are.

The 70 to 74" range is pushing it on a single piece shaft with 4" tube. The greater the Tube diameter the more RPMs the shaft is capable of, the longer the stretch the less RPMs its capable of. So you Axle Ratio and tire size along with how fast the vehicle will be traveling are relative factors. A dodge with 3.55s could get away with a longer single piece than a dodge with 4.11s.

What are you doing with the truck ? what power, rpm redline, trans, rear gear , I always gave the option of the single piece when the SS wore out and needed replacing since between those 4 parts you're right around the price of a single piece

All that depending i'll let you know what you can use or not, 74" usually is fine with 4" unless the power is increased then we go to 5"
Unless you have a viper V-10 and got it around 700+hp then we see 6"
The pic of the AL shaft on the other page is 88" and in a Dodge truck.

Then we can go to CF but CF is very expensive at these lengths and CF doesn't have much available for it in weld yokes which then involves more machining. CF starts in the 4 digits

Last edited:
Dual purpose street strip/sled truck. However, I intend to stay 2.5 inducer for at least the time being. But, perhaps use spray on the strip. That being said, since it is 2.5 power won't surpass ~700 or a little more without spray, rpm wouldn't be more than 4500 probably. Rear gear now and for strip 3.55, sled 4.88 and 33's. overall weight will vary obviously according to what event. I'd love a multi purpose shaft that eliminates my two piece but being so long I understand there's only certain options.

What are you doing with the truck ? what power, rpm redline, trans, rear gear , I always gave the option of the single piece when the SS wore out and needed replacing since between those 4 parts you're right around the price of a single piece

All that depending i'll let you know what you can use or not, 74" usually is fine with 4" unless the power is increased then we go to 5"
Unless you have a viper V-10 and got it around 700+hp then we see 6"
The pic of the AL shaft on the other page is 88" and in a Dodge truck.

Then we can go to CF but CF is very expensive at these lengths and CF doesn't have much available for it in weld yokes which then involves more machining. CF starts in the 4 digits

Once you start playing with 4"x.095 or .134 wall and larger tubing, i usually dont even worry about horsepower, just Critical speed and safe operating RPM.

Dual purpose street strip/sled truck. However, I intend to stay 2.5 inducer for at least the time being. But, perhaps use spray on the strip. That being said, since it is 2.5 power won't surpass ~700 or a little more without spray, rpm wouldn't be more than 4500 probably. Rear gear now and for strip 3.55, sled 4.88 and 33's. overall weight will vary obviously according to what event. I'd love a multi purpose shaft that eliminates my two piece but being so long I understand there's only certain options.

So you're using 3.55's or 4.88's or you're putting in 4.88's when pulling only...

Explain that final gear ratio.

So you're using 3.55's or 4.88's or you're putting in 4.88's when pulling only...

Explain that final gear ratio.
Currently I have 3.55's with 285/75-16 but pulling will be with 33's and 4.88's. I will switch the gearing according to what I'm doing with the truck, yes.

Here is an updated picture of the shaft. All said and done, with it being cut and a new carrier bearing being pressed on it cost me $135.
imagescyg.jpg

78" and your use you probably want 5", with the 4.88's you might want to use the 6"
The 5" with that tire and gear ratio you'll be limited to a 5300 shaft speed and top speed of 94mph, with the 6" you'll be topped out at 120mph.
Everyone says they're only going to do 55, but you never know what the circumstances may dictate

Last edited:
Back