Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #101
Jack-Diesel

Name: Jack-Diesel
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR From Hell View Post
So in light of all the Batmo vs. the world threads in the recent days I decided to bring this thread back up. Had my "Batmo" rebuilt into an actual functioning turbo and thought I'd share a few findings with y'all.

As it turns out, the 87mm supposed "Low Drive Pressure" turbine wheel I paid an extra $350 for was a standard 87mm TW. This was obvious because the BEP turbine housing needed to be machined to fit the LDP wheel that is on there now.

Another head scratcher for you...the actual Batmo compressor wheel had NO balancing marks what so ever on it?? Call me crazy but it would be hard for the bearings to live if the rotating assembly itself is out of balance...

Bullseye Doesn't advertise a "low drive pressure wheel "on their website anywhere that I can find . Although they do heavy light weight turbine wheel option "a spool mod" . Do you care to show us a comparison picture between the two turbine wheels ??? Not sure how many compressor wheels you've seen off turbos . When Balanced as a assembly you don't always take weight off the compressor
as a billet wheel is very concentric and machined from a solid Billet they're very close if not perfect to begin with . Balancing as an assembly sometimes you would only remove material from the turbine side when balancing . Billet wheels we have seen the last few years don't have the Crude balancing marks like you would normally see on a high Volume OEM compressor wheel . Most have a very small rub mark on the back side of the wheel when they need it .

Old 10-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #102
CR From Hell

Name: CR From Hell
Title: Never Satisfied
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Diesel View Post

Bullseye Doesn't advertise a "low drive pressure wheel "on their website anywhere that I can find . Although they do heavy light weight turbine wheel option "a spool mod" . Do you care to show us a comparison picture between the two turbine wheels ??? Not sure how many compressor wheels you've seen off turbos . When Balanced as a assembly you don't always take weight off the compressor
as a billet wheel is very concentric and machined from a solid Billet they're very close if not perfect to begin with . Balancing as an assembly sometimes you would only remove material from the turbine side when balancing . Billet wheels we have seen the last few years don't have the Crude balancing marks like you would normally see on a high Volume OEM compressor wheel . Most have a very small rub mark on the back side of the wheel when they need it .
I was told that the extra $350 for the 87mm TW was for a "low pressure" TW. This was not the case, but mistakes are mistakes, and bad information exists. I would more than happy to take pictures of both TW as I doubt I would be able to tell the difference without both sitting right next to each other. However, the original BEP TW was destroyed and has since been discarded, and the rebuilt turbo has not made it to me for me to take pictures of the new LDP TW. (That's the first thing I plan to do when it gets here)

As for the compressor wheels I've seen no more than 10 (billet & cast) in person that were off the turbo. I'm no expert, and freely admit that. This is why I, in good faith, trust that the company(s) I buy from are the experts. I do remember that the ones I did see had small, but noticeable marks on the back. It's my understanding that my particular wheel has not even a scratch on it's back. I understand that CNC machining has come a long way, and don't doubt that parts are very close upon final milling, but to say they are perfect seems like a long shot to me. I've talked to several people that did independent tests on NIB Batmos that turn out to be 4-6+ grams out of balance straight from BEP. Again I'm no expert, but when other shops are balancing to within +/- 1 gram it seems that BEP is shaving costs by milling a wheel, slapping it in the turbo, and shipping it out. This also is a much better explanation of why this charged failed vs. the excuse BEP gave me of "oil starvation". I'm running a box BW S475 now with the same oil line and outlet the Batmo had and the BW has absolutely no problems/play whatsoever, and has seen over 1000 miles so far with around 30 1/4 mile pass.

Again I apologize as I have no visual evidence at this moment, but the Batmowheel is in the box and I will post pictures ASAP. Also when I get pictures of the shaft that turned out to have no bluing marks, as I was shown from BEP, I will post those as well to further address the quoted "oiling issue". I feel as though I should reiterate that I did not start this thread to bash BEP. Since I'm no expert I figured I would put my situation out there for the experts here to respond to. The response has been great and has really opened my eyes. I may get the short end of the stick on this one, but if my/other's posts keep potential consumers aware of the obvious flaws with BEP then I would call it an overall success.

'07 Mega Cab- "Ride the Lightning" is going to hurt some feelings...

Built & tuned by Black's Diesel Performance & Transmission

Ass whoopins courtesy of the Drive by Wire Mafia

Old 10-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #103
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...7276710&type=1

Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #104
CR From Hell

Name: CR From Hell
Title: Never Satisfied
Member`s Gallery
Thank you!

'07 Mega Cab- "Ride the Lightning" is going to hurt some feelings...

Built & tuned by Black's Diesel Performance & Transmission

Ass whoopins courtesy of the Drive by Wire Mafia

Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #105
cummins939

Name: cummins939
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR From Hell View Post
A few pictures...
This too happend to my single s480.. He said it was impossible because the first part of the wheel to touch was the curve between inducer and exducer. He said something came in through the intake and ruined the wheel but I ran a brand new k&n filter and after checking it out I was sure no foreign material had gotten through.. Bill said it was unrebuildable after sending it back and bearings had failed.. Keep in mind turbo had less than 5000 miles on it. So he offered me one at cost to try and sell at retail which after a few months still never happened.. So I call him one day and order another s475 at production cost.. It was cheap.cheap enough that I was willing to give it another try. So I put 500 street miles on it, and one 1/4 mile pass which was my fastest at 10.9 @ 125 qcsb dually at 7400lbs so I was happy but after checking out turbo that night bearings were shot again.. I sent it back and he rebuilt it for free which was fine but he said it was from oil contamination... So I sold the unit and made some money back.. In the end I lost a lot of money but the turbo did spool amazing and it did make the fastest pass to date but I won't put another on my truck...bill is a good guy and he is someone I would have a beer with but I'll keep turbos out of it next time
04.5:10.94@125

Closed Thread