Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Beasty

Name: Beasty
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
07 5.9 engine build?

Well after many failed searches I'm posting some questions in regards to a 07 5.9 I'm about to start. At this point I'm just trying to make a list of parts. The main question is on the short block rebuild bearings gaskets and pistons. I've seen and read about some of the overhaul kits out there but no real definitive answers. I've looked in particular at the kit from cummins performance parts with mahle pistons. Some have said to use nothing but cummins parts what are the thoughts on these kits vs genuine cummins? The truck will be a dd but by no means stock if you need a list of other upgrades I can list
2005 2500 4x4 efi live proline tuned 5.9 dual stroked cp3 all arp fasteners complete ceramic coat mish intercooler billet s366/s478 fuel lab 250 pump proline injectors proline bumpstick Kenny's triple disk Carli 3.0 susp. Ballistic fab trac bars

2004 3500 DD

Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
RyanH

Name: RyanH
Title: Diesel Pro
Member`s Gallery
Havent used anything but cummins rebuild kits on CRs but have used both on 12v and isb and aftermarket kits get the job done but genuine kits are better quality tho

Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
schnutsy

Name: schnutsy
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Depending on your plans, either way you'll need rods before you'll need pistons. I wouldn't use anything but factory cummins parts for a rebuild unless you have plans for huge power, then theres other things to take into consideration like upgrading rods, coated pistons etc. What are your plans? Full build or just rebuild? Hp goal?
12' RAM 3500 CCLB deleted & tuned DD/Hauler

Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Beasty

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutsy View Post
Depending on your plans, either way you'll need rods before you'll need pistons. I wouldn't use anything but factory cummins parts for a rebuild unless you have plans for huge power, then theres other things to take into consideration like upgrading rods, coated pistons etc. What are your plans? Full build or just rebuild? Hp goal?
Not a super wild build but ill give u what I have to put in it I heard the common rail stock bottom should be good to 700hp. Decided to have it balanced and blue printed and arp studs installed brand new head small amount of porting and 110 lb springs. i plan to have whatever pistions i get cermic coated Steed speed 2gen style manifold silver bullet 66 motorsport cp3 nv 5600 south bend dual disk efi live 5 in exhaust blade runner intake fuel lab velocity 200gph fuel pump and all nec gauges truck is lifted 6in turning 37x12.50 trail grapplers thanks
2005 2500 4x4 efi live proline tuned 5.9 dual stroked cp3 all arp fasteners complete ceramic coat mish intercooler billet s366/s478 fuel lab 250 pump proline injectors proline bumpstick Kenny's triple disk Carli 3.0 susp. Ballistic fab trac bars

2004 3500 DD

Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Beasty

Member`s Gallery
Oh to add to the previous post injectors will be done by exergy to match fuel needs.

Got a quote of 1950 for a genuine cummins rebuild kit less pistons. Pistons are 200 each plus 600 for coating so that's 3150 before coating

Just considering the mahle kit with everything Is 1450. Plus the coating

2004 3500 DD

Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
schnutsy

Name: schnutsy
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Cr bottom ends will take a lot, actually. To my acknowledge, mine is a stock bottom end and its seen a few dyno pulls of just over 1k. Street driven on about 750-775hp and no issues. There's guys that have made 1200hp before having a rod come through the block. But, if you do have bigger plans down the road, id build it now so you don't have to tear it apart again. 12v rods are great and have been known to hold upwards of 1400+. Girdle and stud the bottom end and a set of 12v rods. As far as pistons, factory coated or QSB 480s are the choice of most and coated. If you just plan on keeping the 66, stock rods etc and just coat the pistons. As far as head porting, you pay for what you get. Even though you said minimal amt, Id put the money elsewhere because gains wouldn't be much. Also, cr heads are known for cracking, and if you have a ported head that cracks, then you have money invested into what could become a paperweight. Just my opinion on things. You'll definitely like efi live though. The streetability achievable with efi is extremely good, esp with a big single or twins etc.
12' RAM 3500 CCLB deleted & tuned DD/Hauler

Old 02-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
Beasty

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for all the help sounds like most have experience with genuine cummins parts. I will not add much more to what I have listed so I hope the factory bottom end will be ok.

2004 3500 DD

Closed Thread