Need tap and die for wheel studs/ lugs

lightsOUT

so tonight I was inspecting my rear parking brake shoes for a problem I've been having and I messed up a lug nut and the stud needs cleaned up too. I have a nice Mac tap and die set but it doesn't go big enough. So I need to know the thread size and pitch of the studs.

I should just be able to pick up a tap and die correct? Is there any general "kits" available for wheels studs? I saw on Macs website they make this wheel stud thread restorer kit. Is it worth having? I've never used anything like that, but I did see someone try to use something like that in a bigger application and it didn't work worth a darn.

Browse By Category

Could be different, but my 2000/2001 is 9/16-18 thread studs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Double check but IIRC the stud can be knocked out of the axle and replaced with a new one. I broke a coupe studs in the front end of my 05 and was able to buy replacement ones at advanced auto.

This is why when I replaced the front wheel bearings I kept the old studs and put them in the drawer so I could replace one if needed.

So I called Mac today and ordered a 14x1.50 tap and die. I am going to try the repair. It's not hateful so I'm hoping they clean up easily.

In the mean time I'll be installing new parking brake shoes since the old ones decided to completely delaminate.

Last edited:
If the tap and die doesn't work out for you, I have several brand new lug nuts and studs that I no longer have a use for.

I got sent home early today because the welders didn't want to get out of their trucks because it might drizzle. So that gave me a chance to try and fix my parking brake.

On the passenger side as I said above the brake material had completely delaminated from the shoes. Nothing broke just completely gone. So I went share and replaced the shoes. Pretty simple, straight forward job. I was even able to do it with the hub on which was a pain but not impossible to work around.

Then I went to the drivers side expecting to see the same thing. When I pulled the rotor off I found the entire parking brake covered in oil, as well as the inside of the rotor.

I would recommend replacing the wheel studs with an OEM stud for what it's worth. I busted 2 lugs off of each rear tire and I replaced them with the cheap replacements at AutoZone. While towing my 5th wheel home from a trip the following weekend I somehow sheared 7 out of the 8 studs off and almost lost the wheel completely. Only thing I can think that caused it was the inferior studs I bought at AutoZone. The OEM studs we $30+ a piece compared to the $8 ones AutoZone sells.

Then I went to the drivers side expecting to see the same thing. When I pulled the rotor off I found the entire parking brake covered in oil, as well as the inside of the rotor.

Super common. I've had good luck with skf seals from Napa. As for the wheel stud, I have thread chasers from snap on that are real good at restoring threads without cutting them up. Ive never tried retapping the lug nut.

I would recommend replacing the wheel studs with an OEM stud for what it's worth. I busted 2 lugs off of each rear tire and I replaced them with the cheap replacements at AutoZone. While towing my 5th wheel home from a trip the following weekend I somehow sheared 7 out of the 8 studs off and almost lost the wheel completely. Only thing I can think that caused it was the inferior studs I bought at AutoZone. The OEM studs we $30+ a piece compared to the $8 ones AutoZone sells.
Every time I've seen that is because the lug nuts were loose. Mostly aftermarket aluminum wheels.

So I received my tap and die from Mac today and on the front of the package I saw "made in China". I can't say I'm real impressed with that. If I would've known that before I ordered I would've considered looking for a USA made product.

Otherwise I got my seal replaced and new parking brake shoes replaced Saturday night after work. All in all it was a pretty easy job and I was once again proven that seal pullers never seem to be more useful than the trusty old flat head screw driver. I will try chasing the threads this weekend.

Back