Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Diesel Performance Converters
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
Asher

Name: Asher
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
New guy from STL...

Hi guys, new guy here from STL area, I found this site after being told about DCP converters when looking for a decent budget converter..

Here is what I have, 04 305/555 truck, stock motor/turbo, stock lift pump, smarty, and ramifier stacked (definitely not getting enough fuel to make the max power of these two)... I am not heavy on the throttle, the smarty pretty much stays on lvl 5 and the ramifier off unless I am passing on the highway or that once a year stoplight challenge with the soccer mom... The usual max towing limit is my jeep which is about 7K including trailer and when ever towing I am very conservative on the throttle...

The tranny was replaced (w/new factory mopar unit) less then 20k ago, I noticed that something was slipping (suspecting the converter lockup clutch) and had a little shuttle shifting, so last summer I pulled the pan to check condition... While I was in there I swapped in a Transgo shift kit (drilled only 1 hole), a Sonnax Intermediate Super Servo kit, Billet Band anchor, HD Band strut, and Sonnax Billet accumulator. Installed parts and adjusted band. The fluid looked fine, no metal shavings, and didn't smell burnt.

Truck shifts much better but the convertor lockup clutch is definitely gone... While going down the highway under lockup, I can roll into the throttle and easily slip it (slips about 400-500rpms)...

So with a good stock tranny w/20k miles with the following internals (and a never more then 375-400hp truck):
-Transgo shift kit (drilled only 1 hole)
-Sonnax Intermediate Super Servo kit
-Billet Band anchor
-HD Band strut
-Sonnax Billet accumulator

So now I am jumping back in and installing a HD flex plate, billet input shaft, and a reman'd DPC single disk converter... I figured since I was in there swapping out the input I would replace the front clutches with a set of Alto Red Eagle 7 disk, and Kolene steels, and swap in a carbon fiber front band.

Am I forgetting anything? I thought I read somewhere about a "updated front pump seal kit" or something?

I just want to be able to roll down the HWY towing in OD and roll into the throttle to pass and not slip the converter like I am now...

Thanks in advance...

Old 03-19-2015, 04:44 AM   #2
Purn1973

Name: Purn1973
Title: Peeing in the bushes
Member`s Gallery
Welcome to CompD!

Several transmission build threads on here, just use the search function.

Good luck!

Danny Toops, gone but never forgotten

http://www.facebook.com/Purn1973

Closed Thread