Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Pit Area- OFF TOPIC FORUMS > The Swap Meet > Wanted To Buy
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #21
Meyers Farms

Name: Meyers Farms
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
If you fix a 6.0 right, and maintain it, they’re one of the best, IMO.
I’ve had/have a number of them.
I really like the 05 and newer.
How many miles on yours, any maintenance records, and is it stock/unmolested?
I agree, fix their deficiencies and they’re a good engine. 125k miles, 100% stock with records. It has had regular oil changes and that’s about it. Runs well, although it needs some glow plug work.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #22
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyers Farms View Post
I agree, fix their deficiencies and they’re a good engine. 125k miles, 100% stock with records. It has had regular oil changes and that’s about it. Runs well, although it needs some glow plug work.
That’s the way to buy em. I hate fixing other people’s ”fixes”.
We bought our 03 Excursion in October 2010, bone stock, with 119,000 miles on it. We’re the 2nd owners, and I have service records that start at 33,000 miles. It was the first 6.0 I ever bought.
It isn’t stock anymore, and has 296,000 miles on it.

Last edited by bracker8040; 02-23-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:15 PM   #23
Meyers Farms

Member`s Gallery
This is my first 6.0 and so far i have no complaints, although I haven’t worked it hard yet. What do you recommend to make it live? I’ve been reading a lot about them and am planning a few upgrades to address some of their known problems to make them a good engine.

Last edited by Meyers Farms; 02-23-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #24
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
This is my first 6.0 and so far i have no complaints, although I haven’t worked it hard yet. What do you recommend to make it live? I’ve been reading a lot about them and am planning a few upgrades to address some of their known problems to make them a good engine.
Good maintenance first and foremost.
Factory fuel filters, oil filter, and a factory oil filter cap if it doesn’t have one.
Pick a good, readily available oil (I prefer Schaeffer’s 15w40) and don’t run it more than 5,000 miles. Don’t fall into the oil analysis extended drain trap. These motors shear oil to death, and the oil also deals with quite a bit of heat.
I’d recommend getting an SCT X4. It allows for a lot of monitoring (coolant temp, oil temp, trans temp, FICM voltage, ICP, IPR duty cycle, etc) and it’s also the best way to do custom tunes also.
If you decide to do an egr delete I like the IPR Research Gen 2. Not cheap, but quality. If you get the X4 first, you can monitor coolant temp/oil temp delta and see if you need an oil cooler.
When/if you have the intake off for the egr delete, at a minimum pull the oil cooler and put a new screen and gasket under it.
If you can get your hands on an 05+ intake manifold it’s a good time to swap it.
If you’re back under the turbo at any point, swap the ICP sensor for the 05+ version.
If you want to talk at some point, you’re welcome to call me. 270-855-nine46eight.

Last edited by bracker8040; 02-25-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #25
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
On my first reply I had in mind you had said it’s an 03. Since it’s an 04 it could have the ICP sensor under the turbo (early) or on the front of the passengers side valve cover (late).
If it is a late 04 prepare to do the updated stand pipes and dummy plugs.
Also, if you swap the intake manifold, get rid of the elbow/throttle valve assembly. You can swap on the the 05+ style elbow (or a Pusher, or a whatever) and eliminate the chance of that throttle blade sticking closed.
If you want to persue any of that, I have thermocleaned intake manifolds, elbows, IPR Reasearch egr deletes, etc on hand, and I’d be glad to help you out.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #26
Meyers Farms

Member`s Gallery
Thank you for the info. I confirmed I have a 2004 engine (engine tag) with the ICP on the valve cover. I have the dummy plugs and standpipes waiting to go in when I tear into the engine. I also have what appears to be a valve cover leak which I will address when I’m into the engine. I do plan on an egr delete and a SCT X4. I will be in contact with you to discuss other items to be addressed while I’m into the engine. Thanks!

Closed Thread