Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
ahale2772

Name: ahale2772
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
porting

so ive finally started puttin in time on porting my spare head. (p-pump 7mm head with log milled off and manifold)

im gona keep posting pictures to see if anyone has any advice on what to watch out for, what to port, and what swirl charicteristics to leave.

ive started on the intake runners, allready matched my maifold flange to the ports, and ive got a gasket that I will match later.

im gona start by making the intake runners a little more round to compensate for the round runners I'm using on my intake. I figure if i optimise how the intake flows I can gain some CFM over a stock log... is that wrong? should I leave the runners alone?

anyways ive started smoothing out the port walls and removing some obstructions. ive smoothed out the area around the pushrod holes untill its only about 1/8 thick... kinda alot but it eliminates a bump here... (#1)
Click the image to open in full size.
the area labled as #2 is the next area im concerned about, its the wall before the turn into the bowl, should I just clean it up or try to remove some? im gona focus on the ceiling and that wall because it is the main path the air takes before entering the bowl to swirl

next... im wondering what kind of material i should remove below the valve seats, there is alot there and I dont know how much to take off the walls. there is about 1/8 of an inch of material that seems to be supporting the seats, and in pictures such as this....Click the image to open in full size. the area is almost completly removed (i dont want to have the seats pound into the head

any advice is good, im a newb at porting cummins heads but i have done a ton of reading...

thanks

Old 11-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
anwkid

Name: anwkid
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Very curious to see whats the pros have to say as I was afraid to take off to much from the exaust side when I cleaned mine up. Subscribed

Old 11-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
little6cylinder

Name: little6cylinder
Title: Everything is "fixable"
Member`s Gallery
I'm not a pro by any means so I pay the pros to do my stuff. A lot of them won't tell you there secrets because that's how they make there living. And they have put in the time/ money to figure it out.
I'd say every little bit helps though. If I was you I would just clean up the casting and take out the obvious problems because you can go to deep and cause damage and you can also cause damage by interrupting the air flow.
I know the benefit to a runner manifold is lengthening the runner so if the manifold runner is a different shape then the port in he head it kind of defeats the purpose.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
cbtoyz

Name: cbtoyz
Title: Vaginatarian
Member`s Gallery
I've seen people remove material around here too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p2-1.jpg (109.7 KB, 0 views)

Ponci's Diesel Center
(707) 725-3307

Goerend Transmissions Inc.
(563) 778-2719

Hamilton Cams
(512) 778-9418

Dynomite Diesel Products Inc.
(360) 794-5732

Old 11-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
lenahan05

Name: lenahan05
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
roll the guide boss back and taper it towards the roof of the port. and push the long side port wall over towards the head bolt hole. that will pick up 10-15cfm for sure....

Old 11-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
Diehard Ram

Name: Diehard Ram
Title: Sled puller no more
Member`s Gallery
I love to port a 12v head. they are so much better than a 24v to port.
The only thing i can tell you is air does not like to change direction.

oo Daily Driver
06 Mega Cab
06 Jeep Liberty Diesel

Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
ahale2772

Name: ahale2772
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
thanks guys, should I take much off of the vertical port walls? (besides just cleaning them up?)

Closed Thread