Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 98-02 2nd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #121
DODGEIH

Name: DODGEIH
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
I'm eager to read the updates, just seems like you're overly excited about what you've got so far. For me, if the improvement is miniscule, why risk shortening the life of fuel system that's already considered iffy by many. For me, my current thoughts are to go to a higher quality injector, hopefully a second turbo, and ideally get the v2 tuning to dial it in best I can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
seems like you're on the right track. Honestly (purely assumption) the only thing thing I see possibly having a shortened life would be the injectors... And to me on these trucks you spend $600(+/-) on good injectors that should last a couple hundred thousand miles as can be changed in 2hr with basic hand tools.. Even if life was shortened 25%,that isn't an end all imo. So far our results have been positive and like you I'm excited to see what we come up with. Honestly if it doesn't gain much, then at least this question can be paid to rest with actual real world results!

Old 01-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #122
DODGEIH

Name: DODGEIH
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
touchy touchy bunch in here..if yer gonna post data be prepared to answer questions and explain..i only ask for things to be explained so I can understand them
I believe the reason for this thread was to get peoples thoughts, ideas, criticisms and providing data to all. I think that we all appreciate your ideas and your criticism. It helps us to look and think about things that maybe we hadn't or to test and try things that would help prove or disprove benefits. It just seems that every few comments you just repeat the same old "it's a waste of time" comments.. If it turns out we prove it not beneficial it's no sweat off my back, and I'm guessing the others doing it won't mind either. It is an experiment. Simply trying to make a good thing better.. Not a big deal either way. Again thanks for your thoughts..

Old 01-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #123
me78569

Name: me78569
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
I'm eager to read the updates, just seems like you're overly excited about what you've got so far. For me, if the improvement is miniscule, why risk shortening the life of fuel system that's already considered iffy by many. For me, my current thoughts are to go to a higher quality injector, hopefully a second turbo, and ideally get the v2 tuning to dial it in best I can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
at 330 bar I don't see issues with lifespan, it's 3 bar over what bosch says it ok. Doesn't worry me. I see no reason to say the vp is being hurt, the seat of the injector it is reasonable to say lifespan will be shortened. Considering stockers often last ~200,000 miles I would say even if lifespan is reduced by %50 it is still reliable. Nozle quality comes into question here, but we are stuck arguing something that is beyond what most can test for.

To date I have not had any observable ( keyword) downfall to the 330 bar. Improvements appear to be up for debate and I already posted the logs so I wont beat a dead horse.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:19 AM   #124
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DODGEIH View Post
I believe the reason for this thread was to get peoples thoughts, ideas, criticisms and providing data to all. I think that we all appreciate your ideas and your criticism. It helps us to look and think about things that maybe we hadn't or to test and try things that would help prove or disprove benefits. It just seems that every few comments you just repeat the same old "it's a waste of time" comments.. If it turns out we prove it not beneficial it's no sweat off my back, and I'm guessing the others doing it won't mind either. It is an experiment. Simply trying to make a good thing better.. Not a big deal either way. Again thanks for your thoughts..
and that's what I give ya....

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 02-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #125
me78569

Member`s Gallery
I am starting to get some info on 350 bar. The 330 bar injectors were repopped to 350 bar, so same nozzle.

It looks like 350 bar is to high for most applications. Like the smart guys said haha.

Negs
- idle state is less smooth than stock bar and 330 bar. 330 bar is smoothest 305 bar 2nd smoothest.
- EGT is up at idle and at cruise state, again 330 bar is lowest. 305 vs 350 is pretty much the same.
- boost is done, 0-60 times are up at 350 bar. 305 vs 330 bar are nominal difference. The idle state logging shows an average of %5 more duration needed to keep steady rpms wiht 350 bar vs 330 bar. So we can assume the difference is ~ that.
- stalling when going into gear seems possible now. Hasn't happened yet, but it hasn't been near 0* f since installing the injectors. Rpms do fall a good bit lower than 305 or 330 bar.

Pro
- Smoke output is WAY down across the board with 350 bar. in order to make smoke output equal to 305 bar the tune starting % needs to be increased by ~%10.
- Starting is better than 305 bar and about the same as 330 bar.

I haven't done the lugged pull test yet, but I am pretty sure the 350 bar are a touch worse than 330 bar, but better than the 305 bar.things are busy right now so it might be a few days until I can get around to fixing my lockup switch.

take what you want from it, like always. I am going to keep the 350 bar, mostly because I am not wanting to swap injectors again, but also I like how clean they run.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #126
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
how much higher is the egt..cuz on my truck..i watch that gauge more than I watch the road

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 02-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #127
me78569

Member`s Gallery
~50*f at cruise when comparing to 330 bar, but about the same as 305 bar

~70*f hotter at WOT than 330 and 305 bar.

~20*f hotter at idle in gear, comparing to 305 bar after ~1 minute of idle, 330 being lowest 305 being 2nd and 350 being hottest.

However none of the injectors gave me any EGT issues. it is hard to break 1200 while towing, EGT's don't hit 1300*F until I am flogging it above 2400 rpm where the vgt is starting to get out of it's map and the vanes are opening.

why do you have egt issues? Trouble getting on top of the turbo?

Last edited by me78569; 02-08-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:39 AM   #128
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I used to love doing on-road testing years ago playing with different injectors, pop pressure settings, static timing settings, etc.

So keep up the tinkering, it's a great way to learn your truck inside and out!

One thing that is tough for performance companies is traditionally, paying customers were looking for more performance/power per $$$ spent. If higher pop pressure took away 25 peak HP, that has traditionally been discouraged even if it helped with off-idle throttle response.

Have you been testing fuel economy with your pop pressure changes, has it changed? Anything to add fuel economy seems to be a common question that gets phoned in once or twice a week.
OEM 12v Block

Old 02-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #129
me78569

Member`s Gallery
I agree %100 people typically want cheapest $$ / HP when talking about injectors. No harm there.

I have not gotten steady enough data on mpg to say one way or another. my hunch is that 330 did best on mpg and 350 and 305 were about the same. If I look at cruise state egt's the 330 bar seemed to cruise a good bit cooler than the 305 and 350 bar did / do. however I am in no way going to say 330 bar is the magic number for hyper miling.

Overall I even think the amount of pop increase that can be done before issues arise depends on the the size of the injector. I am guessing that a bigger set of injectors, says 7 x .012, is less prone to issues related to pop than a set of 7 x .009's or similar.

I would guess it is a moving number as to what pop can be set at before issues come up. this is yet another reason why builders dont like the idea. It requires much more time to fine tune each set, and the cost to produce goes through the roof.

mostly I just find it fun and interesting to mess with.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #130
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
I'm going to start by saying that street size injectors are not my main focus, nor the majority of what I do, but I have seen a surge in people contacting me regarding this. And based on what I repeatedly hear, it seems the overwhelming solution to idle haze, roughness, and poor efficiency would be to not use a set $150 Chinese nozzles.

Feel free to debate any ideas or "solutions" you deem plausible, but from my extensive experience there is no short cut that yields the same result as using quality components.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #131
me78569

Member`s Gallery
And to be %100 clear I have not told anyone that increased pop was the way to go. I have had numerous people ask me what my thoughts are.

What I say is.

" I like to mess with stuff, I dont know the long term effects etc Dont go down this road unless you want to figure it out for yourself. this is not a cure all of issues related to poor quality injectors"

I completely agree that there is no replacement for quality overall. I am half way sorry I posted this over here, but it went from a "what happens" to a " why is it not worth it" arguement. I dont care about the argument of why or why not, just curious as to the result of the change.

However it seems that the diesel community is a lot less of people asking " why" and more so people following "trends" That's not how I think.

Last edited by me78569; 02-14-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #132
me78569

Member`s Gallery
Another Neg to add to 350 bar that I did not have at 330 bar.

Cold starting, when temps get down to ~15*f the truck becomes VERY hard to start. 330 bar started considerablly easier than 305 bar when cold.

I think the issues with 350 bar is lack of timing while cranking. the effect of the increased pop pressure should, in theory, be greatest as rpms drop.

I need to wire up a rheostat and fool the ecm into thinking it is VERY cold to try and over advance timing at cranking. ( if the ecm even controls cranking timing, I have a theory that it doesn't)

dunno this is a pretty big issue for my situtation, it will start, its just not happy about it. Almost like a light switch, above 20*f and it pops off just fine, below 15*f and boy does she smoke.

Last edited by me78569; 02-19-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Closed Thread