Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2013+ 6.7L 385
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #101
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoken Gun View Post
Yeah I hear ya. Sometimes it seems like Chrysler/Dodge/FCA and the people that assemble these trucks just wing it half the time and slap whatever they have lying around together.

I spent almost 10 years in the transmission assembly plant. I got to know the 47RE/48RE stuff pretty well. In learning about them, most of them tried to use the right parts, but when discussing the micky mouse washer and some selectable shims, They had a very limited selection(IE not all of the available ones were on the line), so they just made do with what they had.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 03-19-2019, 10:56 PM   #102
Bersaglieri

Name: Bersaglieri
Title: Ron Swanson's Brother
Member`s Gallery
It's been a few months, any updates? I'm cruising the net for truck deals again, I've gone full circle and am right back where I started

Quote:
I'm starting to think Big Swole has it all figured out. Just have a nice new(ish) truck and leave it mostly stock. Then get a 911 Turbo for fun times. Seems like a perfect combo. Porsches for everyone!
Ha, I've got an angry gas V8 collecting dust for that sorta fix, but these days I enjoy a strong towing truck infront of a gooseneck just as much or more. The G56 in the 12v made the truck slow down, but man I love towing with it. No more pulling my hair out... OD on, OD off, lock up on, lock up off like with the 47RE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
I'm driving a bone stock 2018 Duramax, towing whatever I want with ease, and being comfy....I've given up on upgrades that don't make life any easier 98% of the time because these trucks don't NEED more power anymore. Now they need better brakes.

When a 12v was new and had 180hp it NEEDED more power...at 447hp at the flywheel, they really don't anymore.

The diesel bro's in this world have killed going fast for me...it just lost it's appeal. Now all my toys have triggers and go bang.

Chris
You're right Chris, it's painful watching the brodozers romp around with flatbills and a dozen h8ter stickers.

The more ear and nose hair I get, the more I just want to get in, start it up, and drive. I never thought I'd be there, hair or stockish trucks.
1994 - LT1 - 4L80e - Moser

Old 03-20-2019, 06:54 AM   #103
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
I'm waiting for the 5th gen/2019s to come out if they ever will. I'm definitely going with a Aisin if I get one. If I don't like them, I'm going for a PowerStroke.

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Old 03-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #104
Smoken Gun

Name: Smoken Gun
Title: Diaboli parum adiutor.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bersaglieri View Post
It's been a few months, any updates? I'm cruising the net for truck deals again, I've gone full circle and am right back where I started
In any specific regard?

Personally, my '18 has been trouble free so far (no repairs/service needed), but I haven't been driving it much during the hellish winter we had in Michigan. Although, I am already dead sick of filling the DEF tank with those clumsy 2.5 gallon containers when it's below freezing.... The truck goes through DEF quicker during winter too and there aren't any fuel stations with DEF pumps around me (or in Michigan) that I know of. I am impressed by how easily the 6.7L started, after sitting outside unplugged every night, during the cold spell where it was -30* F with wind chill- the only real difference in how it starts in cold vs. warm weather is how long the grid heater cycles. I've never had to press the start button more than once to get it running, my old 12-valve would been quite unhappy in that weather and my 6.0L would've lost its freakin mind. If I let the truck sit for more than ~5 days in below freezing temperatures it will go into batter saver mode when it's started again and various nonessential systems (radio/navigation system, heated seats, heated steering wheel, heated mirrors, etc.) may or may not work until the batteries are recharged enough and the truck is restarted. If the truck sits for only a couple days in cold weather it will usual show battery saver mode is on, but everything will work as normal...*shrugs shoulders*. If it is driven at least every other day it's fine, but I tried to keep the salt off it as much as possible (damn Midwest...).

As far as Aisin tuning updates go there aren't any that I'm aware of. People still react to questions about it like you just asked how to make a dirty bomb, don't respond, or say they're currently working on making the 68RFE into not a total pile and will work on Aisins next (maybe...). I still haven't gotten a straight answer to the question of approximately how much power you can add to the 6.7L before the AS69RC will start to act up and shift funky yet from a reliably source. Some rando on Instagram said up to ~100hp is fine, but he didn't even have an Aisin equipped truck... I'd be really nice to know if an EFI Live/MM3 tune that added 50p, 100hp, or even the Stealth Performance Module on the high setting would make the Aisin shift funky or not.

I'm actually toying with the idea of trading my '18 for a new Ford Raptor or sports car of some kind or just keeping it. I change my mind daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bersaglieri View Post
You're right Chris, it's painful watching the brodozers romp around with flatbills and a dozen h8ter stickers.

The more ear and nose hair I get, the more I just want to get in, start it up, and drive. I never thought I'd be there, hair or stockish trucks.
Yep, right there with you guys. I use to want more and more power, but now I just want a truck that is reliable, drives well, and looks good more than anything. I've seen one too many mouth breathers in rusted out 24-valve 2nd gens with an 8" exhaust tip on 24s with rubber band tires (or equivalent Ford/GM) smoke out the entire highway trying to get their Pringles tuned sh!t box to accelerate ~5mph to pass someone so they can go 90mph and everyone behind them hit their brakes so they don't drive into a giant jet black cloud of smoke... I just don't want to be associated with that. There's a time and place for that stuff and busy public roads in heavy traffic isn't it.

If I modify my truck it will be aesthetic stuff, suspension upgrades, and tunes for maybe 50-100hp+ (mostly I just want that dead pedal feel in 1st and 2nd gear gone).

And I agree, Chris, these trucks do need better breaks from the factory now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
I'm waiting for the 5th gen/2019s to come out if they ever will. I'm definitely going with a Aisin if I get one. If I don't like them, I'm going for a PowerStroke.
I'm starting to wonder if the Aisin is the right choice more... If you're going to keep your truck relatively stock it most likely is, but if your intent is to eventually modify it for significantly more power it might not be as there might not ever be aftermarket tuning for them. The 68RFE might be crap in stock form, but they can be built fairly strong (it seems) and are can be tuned. The new 5th gen's Aisins adaptive learning software has twice the learning power as the previous AS69RC according to the press releases so far, which sounds like they just got even more complicated and hard to tune than before to me. I'd say a manual truck is an option, but Ram killed that...

I'd test drive all three brands as much as you need to and see what you like, they're all pretty damn nice these days. A couple guys near me have new Platinum trim Alumiduties and one guy has a new High County trim Silverado in black that is gorgeous. I'd also consider if jumping through the hoops of new diesels is really worth it to you and if you want the dilemma of whether or not to tuned/delete the truck to make it more reliable/fun to drive and likely kill your powertrain warranty or to drive it with the emissions crap intact for five years/100K miles and keep your warranty weighing on you constantly. Lavon said in one of Firepunk's YouTube videos trucks with emissions equipment on have ~16th" of soot built up in their intake tracts after 100K miles, at ~3:10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OIplNh7Yc?t=190

The fact that the diesel aftermarket is currently having its throat slit is also something to consider I'd say.

Last edited by Smoken Gun; 03-20-2019 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar

Old 04-03-2019, 12:04 AM   #105
Bersaglieri

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
In any specific regard?

Just in general truck search struggles. This is my cycle: I really need a crew cab, let's get online and see what's for sale. Look, a 2012 3500 for $23,000...that's doable...wait it has a 68RFE...hmm, ok, add $7000 for deletes and a good trans build. Jesus, now I'm at $30,000 and it still might shift like Helen Keller's race car. Ok, I'll just stay mostly stock and get an Aisin truck and a nicer updated interior. Ok, there is one for $31,000, at least it'll last me for a long time. Dead pedal and possible retardo shift problems with deletes? Damn you Dodge! Alright, where are the 6.7l Fords, those have a solid transmission and I like the interiors. $38,000??!! Still needs deletes, has CP4 failure with high miles, and the engine bay its tighter than a tick's ass. F-it, I'm over this, where are the blown up 6.4 trucks on facebook? I'm stabbing a compound turbo 12v and Allison in one of these turds and telling the EPA to eat a bag of dix! Who am I kidding, I don't have time for that, let's just hop online and see what's for sale.

I have seen a few 4th gen trucks getting Allison swaps. At least EFI live can adjust everything on them and they are reasonable to build.

Personally, my '18 has been trouble free so far ....(damn Midwest...).

That's good to hear. I don't drive my truck as a job or anything, but I do demand a lot when it's called upon.

As far as Aisin tuning updates go there aren't any that I'm aware of. People still react to questions about it like you just asked how to make a dirty bomb, don't respond, or say they're currently working on making the 68RFE into not a total pile and will work on Aisins next (maybe...). I still haven't gotten a straight answer to the question of approximately how much power you can add to the 6.7L before the AS69RC will start to act up and shift funky yet from a reliably source. Some rando on Instagram said up to ~100hp is fine, but he didn't even have an Aisin equipped truck... I'd be really nice to know if an EFI Live/MM3 tune that added 50p, 100hp, or even the Stealth Performance Module on the high setting would make the Aisin shift funky or not.

If I got a solid response from a reputable source that I could delete or delete and add 50hp without issues, I'd buy a Aisin truck tomorrow. I get the same run around. No one wants to discuss the Aisins, they want to sell you $7000 worth of 68RFE fixes.

I'm actually toying with the idea of trading my '18 for a new Ford Raptor or sports car of some kind or just keeping it. I change my mind daily.

I drove an early Raptor with a 6.2L and it was a blast offroad. However, it's not an option for me with trailer/farm duty.

Yep, right there with you guys. I use to want more and more power, but now I just want a truck that is reliable, drives well, and looks good more than anything. I've seen one too many mouth breathers in rusted out 24-valve 2nd gens with an 8" exhaust tip on 24s with rubber band tires (or equivalent Ford/GM) smoke out the entire highway trying to get their Pringles tuned sh!t box to accelerate ~5mph to pass someone so they can go 90mph and everyone behind them hit their brakes so they don't drive into a giant jet black cloud of smoke... I just don't want to be associated with that. There's a time and place for that stuff and busy public roads in heavy traffic isn't it.

95% of the ricers I see on the road are diesels. I dislike being in the same category but don't want to go back to gas for towing trailers.

If I modify my truck it will be aesthetic stuff, suspension upgrades, and tunes for maybe 50-100hp+ (mostly I just want that dead pedal feel in 1st and 2nd gear gone).

That's all I need, deletes and maybe 50hp or a tow tune. I'd like to drive two back to back note the differences, maybe this weekend...

And I agree, Chris, these trucks do need better breaks from the factory now.

I'm starting to wonder if the Aisin is the right choice more... If you're going to keep your truck relatively stock it most likely is, but if your intent is to eventually modify it for significantly more power it might not be as there might not ever be aftermarket tuning for them. The 68RFE might be crap in stock form, but they can be built fairly strong (it seems) and are can be tuned. The new 5th gen's Aisins adaptive learning software has twice the learning power as the previous AS69RC according to the press releases so far, which sounds like they just got even more complicated and hard to tune than before to me. I'd say a manual truck is an option, but Ram killed that...

Maybe it's age but I look at the cost benefit of spending $7000-$10,000 for reliable 100-150hp gains in a newer truck and it just doesn't appeal to me like it used to. I have other priorities these days. I have a manual truck and it's perfect for towing but not perfect for wife/family if they need to use/borrow it or long trips I put 24 hours/1500 miles of driving on my 12v/G56 truck for a family trip recently and it was mechanically awesome but comfort wise not so awesome. The thought of a fresh truck with a well shifting auto passed through my head several times.

I'd test drive all three brands as much as you need to and see what you like, they're all pretty damn nice these days. A couple guys near me have new Platinum trim Alumiduties and one guy has a new High County trim Silverado in black that is gorgeous. I'd also consider if jumping through the hoops of new diesels is really worth it to you and if you want the dilemma of whether or not to tuned/delete the truck to make it more reliable/fun to drive and likely kill your powertrain warranty or to drive it with the emissions crap intact for five years/100K miles and keep your warranty weighing on you constantly. Lavon said in one of Firepunk's YouTube videos trucks with emissions equipment on have ~16th" of soot built up in their intake tracts after 100K miles, at ~3:10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OIplNh7Yc?t=190

The fact that the diesel aftermarket is currently having its throat slit is also something to consider I'd say.

A new truck isn't in the cards for me, likely a $30,000 and under used truck with 100-225,000 miles is where I am stuck unless I want a base model.
I guess I'm just stuck in a holding pattern waiting for info to push me in one direction or another. I hate to call around to places and ask them what to buy without direct intentions of buying something from them. I wanted to call Randy Reyes and just pick his brain on the topic. I called Firepunk and they said they do in house builds on 68RFE's...only $7100ish, nothing offered for Aisins. I think my 12v truck is maybe worth $7100 on a good day, lol.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:36 AM   #106
Bersaglieri

Member`s Gallery
I threw in the towel and pulled the trigger on a 2013 3500 SRW with an Aisin. I'll report back with my thoughts and results.

I think I am going to do a transmission service on it right out of the gate so I know it's got fresh filters and fluid. I'll likely post a little "build" thread for details on my progress.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #107
Smoken Gun

Member`s Gallery
Congrates sir! How many miles on it? I'll keep an eye out for your thread. Hope you enjoy the new truck!

If you haven't already you might want to check to see if your specific truck has any recall issues that haven't been addressed yet, I just had a recall issue on my '18 for a potential incorrectly assembled steering component that could have caused sudden and complete lose of steering.

Also, a little Aisin update- Dallas at Red Horse Motorsports is giving Aisin builds a shot now too. Always good to have more guys tinkering with these things.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:50 PM   #108
Bersaglieri

Member`s Gallery
Thanks! 18x,xxx miles, which is about the only way I could get into one in my price range. I am hoping that it sees 500,000 without too many issues like I see alot of hotshot trucks run.

I did see one recall on the carfax. I guess a drag link, which the local dealer says there is no fix for pre 2018 trucks at this time. I was told I can contact Mopar and get on the recall list one way or another, which I plan to do.

I'll look into them a little, I am hoping for trouble free life out of the Aisin which is why I got one. I can say having never driven a AS69RC truck until this one that it's quite similar to a Allison 1000. Time will tell.

I have read, not necessarily meaning much, that people have run decent sized tunes on Aisin trucks but you have to give it reasonable time to recognize the new power curves. I guess the person who does the tuning has a large part in how they react as well. I have not seen many, if any, publicly post about tuning motors infront of Aisins. I am not looking to push the envelope to far, but I do plan on running some tunes and rely how it responds.

Last edited by Bersaglieri; 04-09-2019 at 10:51 PM.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #109
Smoken Gun

Member`s Gallery
That's what my recall was for essentially.

This was the description I got:

"FCA Recall #
V06
NHTSA Recall #
19V-021
Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk

Some vehicles may have been built with an outboard steering linkage jam nut that could loosen allowing one end of the drag link to separate from the adjuster sleeve. A drag link separation can result in a loss of directional steering control, which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.

Repair Description

Inspect the torque values. If the torque values meet requirement, the nuts will be welded to the adjuster sleeve. If the torque values do not meet requirement, the drag link assembly will be replaced."

That's what I've heard about tuning Aisin trucks as well, but also heard if you run decent power through them you won't be able to get rid of the flare shift without hard part changes in the transmission itself. That's the problem really, lack of reliable public information on the subject.

Interested to hear how your truck does with some tuning/how you like how it drives with them.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #110
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
If the Aisin operates anywhere near how the Allison does, the hard shifts or shift flare is from the tuning. (Read that as crap tuning). There's no reason a slight increase in power should make a trans shift weird once it has learned a new power curve. Obviously once you exceed the holding power limits of the trans it will flare shifts, but I'd venture to say it's how these guys are writing the ECM tunes causing shift problems.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:44 PM   #111
MufflerBearing

Name: MufflerBearing
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Anyone getting anywhere on the tuning?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Old 07-02-2019, 01:36 AM   #112
Smoken Gun

Member`s Gallery
Lavon recently got a '19 with the Aisin, so hopefully they can work their magic on them. I think I remember someone saying Firepunk is working on emissions-on tuning, whether that entails trying to figure something out for the AS69RC transmissions or not I don't know.

Other than that- not that I've heard or anyone is willing to talk about publicly...

Last edited by Smoken Gun; 07-02-2019 at 01:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #113
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
When I was trying to decide on which trans to use in my new tow rig build, I talked to Randy Reyes about them. He really likes the Aisin, that is the trans he uses in his 4th gen and he beats the hell out of it all the time. I feel like the Aisin could be the next level for a Dodge transmission if they would just get the tuning down.

Just the physical size of the transmission and everything in it has some serious potential to be a great towing/daily transmission for the Dodges. They are phuckin huge! 500lbs dry weight, stock shaft size comparable to fat shafts in a 48re, huge drums and planetaries, stock triple disk converter, ect.
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 07-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #114
frankencummins

Name: frankencummins
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
124K+ beating the hell out of my 68 towing 25-30,000 gross regularly. Now you guys are really making me want to buy an Aisin equipped truck.

'15 Laramie Longhorn 3500, CTT Tuned (RIP),Revmax Signature 850, 60/60 towboss, S&S Torquemaster.
Sans government juice
'00 Cummins FASS 150, Airaid CAI, 5" exhaust, Quad Adr w/pv2, DAP 160's, Revmax signature series,triple disk, SDX 62/71/13. Perpetual project

Old 08-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #115
Jakediesel06

Name: Jakediesel06
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Just figure I’d bump this to the top to see if there has been any progress on tuning a AS69RC

Old 10-29-2019, 11:40 PM   #116
Bersaglieri

Member`s Gallery
I've grossed up to 28,500lbs with this truck and put about 10,000 miles loaded and unloaded on it. So far, it's been great. The 45hp tow tune seems to work just fine loaded or unloaded. No funky shifts or flares that I've noticed. And, unlike my Duramax trucks that could never wanted to lug loaded, this thing will pull down to 1200rpm before it downshifts. Hell, sometimes the land will level out and it'll pull back through the RPM's from 1200rpm and then upshift.

My only complaint is that the tow/haul and exhaust brake buttons are on the lower dash next to the cup holders. I really would prefer it was on the end of the shifter stalk or even towards the cluster on the dash somewhere.

Legally it's not an Allison, but it's damn close and behind a nice torquey 6.7L Cummins. I don't regret buying a 6.7L/Aisin vs a labor intensive Cummins/Allison swap into a Ford. It does exactly what I need it to.

[EDIT] I did notice alot of dead pedal [especially coming from a 12v] when I first got it, but I don't notice it as much anymore. Not sure if I subconsciously work around it or not. However, it is something that when it does happen, it's when I'm trying to jet out and merge into traffic. I would like to find a solution to that. I can also tell there is TQ management going on, not sure how much, but you definitely know what it's off and putting power to the ground. This thing scoots for a relatively stock truck when it's locked up and rolling.

Last edited by Bersaglieri; 10-29-2019 at 11:45 PM.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #117
frankencummins

Member`s Gallery
Who's tuning? This crap I've got from Hardway sucks with any kind of weight behind you. Surprisingly it's worse than stock. Unlocked to 45mph, in 4th gear at 30 mph, no exhaust brake unless you're running 45 mph. Absolutely trash for towing anything more than a yard trailer. Customer service has been worse. Asked to get stock shift strategy back over a week ago with no result
Just about as pissed as I can be with the whole situation. Really wouldn't be as upset about it if I hadn't told them upfront I tow heavy regularly. Guess that detail was conveniently forgot. Honestly forgot how stressful it is to cowboy 13 head of bred cattle down 5 miles of an an 8% without an exhaust brake. Got to remember that tonight. Those 'member berries aren't very tasty.

'15 Laramie Longhorn 3500, CTT Tuned (RIP),Revmax Signature 850, 60/60 towboss, S&S Torquemaster.
Sans government juice
'00 Cummins FASS 150, Airaid CAI, 5" exhaust, Quad Adr w/pv2, DAP 160's, Revmax signature series,triple disk, SDX 62/71/13. Perpetual project

Last edited by frankencummins; 11-10-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #118
Empty_Pockets

Name: Empty_Pockets
Title: Undercover Epa agent
Member`s Gallery
I tuned a 13 with his tuning and it left alot to be desired.
Member berries i had forgot all about that.

Whats the relearn procedure on one of the aisins? Have a friend whos getting ready to delete and tune his 19

Old 11-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #119
frankencummins

Member`s Gallery
I actually halfway liked what I had before the re-tune for the Revmax. Pretty sure it was just stock strategy with the pressures turned up. Had its issues but at least I could put it's head to work down low & it didn't feel like the truck was neutered.
Not sure about the relearn on the Aisin, I'm running a 68rfe. Stocker made it 133k pulling the exact same loads I'm pulling now without much issue. Now I'm at 3k unlocked in 4th, trans running hot & praying I don't have something let loose up front. Didn't know they'd cracked the code on the '19's yet. Glad to hear it.

Sans government juice

Old 11-11-2019, 11:59 PM   #120
frankencummins

Member`s Gallery
Made the switch to CTT, initial seat feel tells me I'm going to like what I've got.

Sans government juice

Closed Thread