Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Dyno Forum
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dyno Forum Discuss Dyno Tuning, and Post those Graphs Here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:24 AM   #1
evilduramax

Name: evilduramax
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
dyno jet?

so ive heard that a dyno jet basically lies to the diesel guys! whats the deal with that? when i ran i had 591whp. not sure how accurate it is.
Im running efi live. ats stage 2trans co pilot. fass fuel sys. exhaust intake. watermeth. about 35psi/boost. oh yea and i ran it 4th gear

Old 06-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
gunracer1

Name: gunracer1
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
the dyno doesn't lie, but i would question the correction factor when you ran your truck. high altitude makes for big corretion factors that really don't apply to turbo diesels.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
The guy you wanna talk to is DavidTD. He owns one and I have personally seen #s on his Dyno back up those at the track. Like Gunracer said, crazy correction factors dont do us much good.
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 06-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
partsguy662

Name: partsguy662
Title: You know damm right
Member`s Gallery
The dyno numbers are only as good as the dyno operator..

--Scott
COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM

Old 06-15-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
evilduramax

Member`s Gallery
that makes a lot more sence. so basically if they dont have a lot of experience with dynoing diesels than you wont get accurate #'s

Old 06-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #6
evilduramax

Member`s Gallery
partsguy662 that dude in your avatar must eat a lot of fruit!

Old 06-15-2006, 09:57 AM   #7
Timbeaux

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilduramax
that makes a lot more sence. so basically if they dont have a lot of experience with dynoing diesels than you wont get accurate #'s
Not always, there are some tricks to getting max hp with a diesel, but most guys that can run a decent operation, can handle you pretty well..... Be fearful of large correction factors.
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson

Old 06-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #8
partsguy662

Name: partsguy662
Title: You know damm right
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilduramax
partsguy662 that dude in your avatar must eat a lot of fruit!
That or bran muffins I guess..!

--Scott
COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM

Old 06-15-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
duke1n

Name: duke1n
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer1
the dyno doesn't lie, but i would question the correction factor when you ran your truck. high altitude makes for big corretion factors that really don't apply to turbo diesels.
Ahh horse pucky! That's just what low altutude guys say to make their own low numbers feel better. Shall we get into a duscussion about air density and how turbos work at altitude?

Old 06-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Timbeaux

Member`s Gallery
I believe he is refering to HUGE factors... Anything over about 6% is suspect in my book, especially with spray
Quote:

Old 06-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #11
spooledup

Name: spooledup
Title: Master of the Universe
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke1n
Ahh horse pucky! That's just what low altutude guys say to make their own low numbers feel better. Shall we get into a duscussion about air density and how turbos work at altitude?

Now that Funny

Old 06-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
duke1n

Member`s Gallery
Had a great conversation with Don about this sometime back on NWB. Have a read if you're bored lol. I do agree regarding the influence of nitrous...

http://www.nwbombers.com/forum/index...&hl=correction

Old 06-15-2006, 11:46 AM   #13
duke1n

Member`s Gallery
Did you all know that without a turbo you still have forced induction?

Do you agree that boost pressure is achieved by the transfer of exhaust gas energy via the turbine wheel into rotational energy that then turns the compressor?

Does anyone wonder why when they run NHRA T/F in Denver they let them turn up the charger and run more nitro? One would think that they wouldn't need to do that to achieve sea level type performance with their big blowers and fuel?

Let's start here lol... I'm bored

Last edited by duke1n; 06-15-2006 at 11:50 AM.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #14
Timbeaux

Member`s Gallery
I agree with you to a point Mike. I'm not saying that performance does not differ from sea-level to your back yard, I'm saying that the diffrence with a NA motor is much greater than a turbo motor. I however am not an engineer, so I cant tell you why... I'm an economist, so I just argue about it
Quote:

Last edited by Timbeaux; 06-15-2006 at 01:12 PM.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:07 PM   #15
duke1n

Member`s Gallery
Tim

Anyone else want to jump in?

Old 06-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #16
duke1n

Member`s Gallery
This place is boring

As soon as you start talking details everyone shuts up lol

Old 06-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #17
Timbeaux

Member`s Gallery
I'll be honest, I dont think anyone wants to argue with your reply on that thread with Don. I had to read it a few times to get my head around it (you know, us Rebs are slow )

Quote:
So just thinking out loud. Keep in mind I know nothing but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

So a turbo takes the energy of the expanding exhaust gasses and converts that into kinetic energy in the form of a spinning shaft and compressor wheel. That energy then is converted into pressure energy as air is compressed in the intake tract of the motor. Does not ambient pressure just act as a constant multiplier to the amount of pressure energy that can be created by the compressor? So a turbo at sea level with 14.7 psi of ambient pressure would certainly be able to create more pressure energy than the same turbo at 5500' that only has 12psi assisting the compressor. Whether that relationship is linear or exponential I don't know but I don't think it's logical to conclude that a turbo that can create x amount of pressure energy at sea level with ambient pressure of 14.7 psi can create the same x amount of pressure energy at altitude where it does not have the same ambient pressure to start with. I'm curious Don why you say a large single turbo would be more subject to efficiency loss at higher altitude than say a twin setup?
I still think you had somebody write that fot you
What about those guys like your buddy Robert that need a CF with spray?
Quote:

Old 06-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #18
duke1n

Member`s Gallery
I'm just messing around but if you come on any forum and start making statements as if they are fact then let's have some fun and discuss. It's only for fun. If you say a cam does this or that then come back like Doug with some hard evidence or a strong hypothesis. If you say CF at altitude inflate numbers then let's talk about that and figure out why

Everything about Robert's truck is inflated. I know of one dyno run he did that he was not near 500 on fuel and was 542 on a generous DynoJet on the bottle. The same day a buddy of mine was next in line behind him and did 535 on fuel in his 03 CR with Brady's injectors, PP66, and a box. The same setup at GAM's a couple months ago on a Superflow yielded 488. So Robert on the Superflow that day might have touched 500 on the bottle and my truck did 580 on fuel. Yeah, he's real close lol. Now he's out there claiming to be near 600 on fuel with a stock innards 6.0 and 700 on gas? LMFAO.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #19
Timbeaux

Member`s Gallery
I agree Mike. I guess my arguement here is that some folks have given CF's a bad name. I have seen CF's of 20% on a spray run...that is ridiculous, unless you are on top of everest I dont buy them over about 6% ish.... I want you to bring whitey to Indy next week and we can put her up on Dunbar's dyno and we will see....that work for you?
Quote:

Old 06-15-2006, 05:51 PM   #20
Dockboy

Name: Dockboy
Title: Comps BFF
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Everything about Robert's truck is inflated. I know of one dyno run he did that he was not near 500 on fuel and was 542 on a generous DynoJet on the bottle. The same day a buddy of mine was next in line behind him and did 535 on fuel in his 03 CR with Brady's injectors, PP66, and a box. The same setup at GAM's a couple months ago on a Superflow yielded 488. So Robert on the Superflow that day might have touched 500 on the bottle and my truck did 580 on fuel. Yeah, he's real close lol. Now he's out there claiming to be near 600 on fuel with a stock innards 6.0 and 700 on gas? LMFAO.
Michael.....you pickin on poor little ol' Robert again?

greg
out

Closed Thread