2.6 puller/street cam opinions?

WEBERBUILT

Banned
I'm building a ppumped 24 valve engine for a customers truck, the engine is at the machine shop getting taken care of, we will have a 215 pump benched at hopefully 500-600cc of fuel with 5k springs.
We'll be running a 2.6 S400 W/ .90A/R T4 we plan on making somewhere around 750-800hp and still driving it on the street even if i have to re-tune it after the pulls but we will be running an adjustable pump gear/plate and what not...., i'd like some opinions on how people think this may work.
My biggest question right now is what cam to use, lope/smoke/most street manners will be not of much concern, we are using stock 24v pistons and plan on having them fly cut so that is not a concern either.

Any help or opinions or feedback is appreciated... thank you

Last edited:
To be completely frank the head is getting revamped Springs, valves, retainers, seats, guides, fire ringed, yada yada, im goin through a local machine shop that specializes in performance engines gas and diesel which have yielded them a very good name locally and too a distance if anyone may know them its T&B machining monroe, WI.
I do not know what it is suppose to flow as far if your looking for a cfm? but they told me they've experienced better luck with "mild" porting and lots of polishing rather than "extensive" porting so thats the extent of the details on the head.
Is there any questions or other procedures that are recommended by anyone that i should ask them or request done?
What "lift" are you reffering to?

200/220's seems to fit the bill

I've heard alot of discussions that the various cam brands make a h*ll of a difference so any top of the line brands anyone would be reccomending, we will most likely be going with a billet cam unless, someone can provide me with nessesary reasoning that that is unnessesary...

Thank you

Valve lift to were the flow stalls out. Without flow benching picking a cam is just shooting in the dark.

So your saying i should get the head flow benched? correct? what will happen if i put the above suggested cam in and do not flow test the head...what are the possible outcomes of that minus saying it may run sh*tty.?

Yes that is what I am saying, you have no idea what lift to use, until you know where your valves stop flowing. Only way to know this is to flow bench it. A stock head starts to flat line around .350" to .400" total lift, the latest head we had done, doesn't peak until .600"+

The fact that you are charging money to do this, but don't understand the fundamentals, is a little scary.

Yes that is what I am saying, you have no idea what lift to use, until you know where your valves stop flowing. Only way to know this is to flow bench it. A stock head starts to flat line around .350" to .400" total lift, the latest head we had done, doesn't peak until .600"+

The fact that you are charging money to do this, but don't understand the fundamentals, is a little scary.

you need to know all of this for a 4v cam/head setup to make 750hp? Maybe so... but hes not going to be running a .400+ LL. on the street. i doubt youve got that in your motor.:lolly:. 200/220 like adam said should be sufficient. dont make the guy feel stupid with a bunch of mumbo jumbo that he obviously doesnt understand.

you need to know all of this for a 4v cam/head setup to make 750hp? Maybe so... but hes not going to be running a .400+ LL. on the street. i doubt youve got that in your motor.:lolly:. 200/220 like adam said should be sufficient. dont make the guy feel stupid with a bunch of mumbo jumbo that he obviously doesnt understand.

I have made 750+ on a stock 12v cam, JSP did 1050 on a stock CR cam, and didn't pick up anything going to Hamilton 188/220... So in that light, he might as well run a stock cam.

Not trying to make anyone feel stupid, but at the same time someone out there is paying for his expertise and is getting internet forum advice (all of which needs to be taken for what it is worth). If it was for his own engine I would feel much differently about it.

Not that it matters, but we currently run over .400" total lift, next year we will be over .400" on just the cam.

I am not sure I buy into needing 200/220 for an engine that will likely make peak power at ~3000rpm. But that is my own opinion and on that train of thought I think a lot of diesel cams are over durationed.

In 2.6 pullers available air is at a premium. The lower the boost level where you can achieve maximum map designed turbine speed will produce the maximum air.

In porting the best gains are from removing metal, and making the port work, and flow air , Polishing is nothing more then making the customers feel like he got his money’s worth. The gains from polishing are de minimis.

Knowing what a head flows is important if you’re looking for the last 20 hp on an extreme 2.6 and have lots of dyno time to find it. Is it worth it sure, but as the old adage says “speed cost, How fast do you want to go”

If you going to cut pistons, try to to keep as much compression as possible. There is no substitute for compression in limited charger engines. Around 18.75 to 1 to 20.00 to 1 works well, on well thought out engine programs .

As to a cam profile reconditions , if your budget will go a billet , then around a 230 to 240 intake event and 215 to 220 exhaust event on a 116 LSA will make really great power and idle like a stocker with good tuning.
If you want to stick with a cast core then 230 116 on a 112 will be as big as you can get on that core.

I chose lift is according to the head work, a stock head sucks , for that matter double the flow of a stock head still sucks, but if you not spending a good percentage of your budget on cylinder heads , you off track , and there is no need to lift the valve more then .400 , or .305 lobe lift
On extreme heads programs I uses a .425 lobe making .570 @ the valve.

Lol with all do respect it isn't a g*damn part of your business what money im "charging" this is me getting to the fundamentals, i dont think you understand the concept of asking questions because this is just me inquiring i know before it was all said and done i could do enough organizing with the machine shop to get what is needed and if anything didnt turn out right it would come out of my pocket because thats whats right.
Although i still appreciate your input and i dont mind the mumbo jumbo because i would love to be able to put this all into order and learn about it myself,
The intercooler will be a 6.0l spearco as the engine will be a stroker replacement im stil not entirely sure of what turbine size will be used...

I have made 750+ on a stock 12v cam, JSP did 1050 on a stock CR cam, and didn't pick up anything going to Hamilton 188/220... So in that light, he might as well run a stock cam.

Not trying to make anyone feel stupid, but at the same time someone out there is paying for his expertise and is getting internet forum advice (all of which needs to be taken for what it is worth). If it was for his own engine I would feel much differently about it.

Not that it matters, but we currently run over .400" total lift, next year we will be over .400" on just the cam.

I am not sure I buy into needing 200/220 for an engine that will likely make peak power at ~3000rpm. But that is my own opinion and on that train of thought I think a lot of diesel cams are over durationed.

U obviously do not understand i take everything for what it is worth, you can find a new thread now i think these guys are helping enough, i wasnt looking for a debate just some opinions...o and we plan on being able run UP TO 5000rpms i imagine 3800-5000 running down the track.

In 2.6 pullers available air is at a premium. The lower the boost level where you can achieve maximum map designed turbine speed will produce the maximum air.

In porting the best gains are from removing metal, and making the port work, and flow air , Polishing is nothing more then making the customers feel like he got his money’s worth. The gains from polishing are de minimis.

Knowing what a head flows is important if you’re looking for the last 20 hp on an extreme 2.6 and have lots of dyno time to find it. Is it worth it sure, but as the old adage says “speed cost, How fast do you want to go”

If you going to cut pistons, try to to keep as much compression as possible. There is no substitute for compression in limited charger engines. Around 18.75 to 1 to 20.00 to 1 works well, on well thought out engine programs .

As to a cam profile reconditions , if your budget will go a billet , then around a 230 to 240 intake event and 215 to 220 exhaust event on a 116 LSA will make really great power and idle like a stocker with good tuning.
If you want to stick with a cast core then 230 116 on a 112 will be as big as you can get on that core.

I chose lift is according to the head work, a stock head sucks , for that matter double the flow of a stock head still sucks, but if you not spending a good percentage of your budget on cylinder heads , you off track , and there is no need to lift the valve more then .400 , or .305 lobe lift
On extreme heads programs I uses a .425 lobe making .570 @ the valve.

What is stock compression in a 24v?

U obviously do not understand i take everything for what it is worth, you can find a new thread now i think these guys are helping enough, i wasnt looking for a debate just some opinions...o and we plan on being able run UP TO 5000rpms i imagine 3800-5000 running down the track.

I don't think you will have the motor to run 3800 down the track

Lol with all do respect it isn't a g*damn part of your business what money im "charging" this is me getting to the fundamentals, i dont think you understand the concept of asking questions because this is just me inquiring i know before it was all said and done i could do enough organizing with the machine shop to get what is needed and if anything didnt turn out right it would come out of my pocket because thats whats right.
Although i still appreciate your input and i dont mind the mumbo jumbo because i would love to be able to put this all into order and learn about it myself,
The intercooler will be a 6.0l spearco as the engine will be a stroker replacement im stil not entirely sure of what turbine size will be used...

What is stock compression in a 24v?

I think he understands but i dont think you do. Your trying to build a competiton pulling engine and you dont know what stock compression is for the engine your building???? Do you really think you should be building anything in the first place? Your going to take someones money and dont know where to start.

I think he understands but i dont think you do. Your trying to build a competiton pulling engine and you dont know what stock compression is for the engine your building???? Do you really think you should be building anything in the first place? Your going to take someones money and dont know where to start.

Welcome to 90% of the diesel performance shops out there. LOL

:clap:

I despise R&D that is done unknowingly on a customers dime. I have been that customer too many times.

Back