Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tractor Performance > General Tractor Performance > John Deere
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

John Deere The Green machines

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
EPA Violator

Name: EPA Violator
Title: CR Wrencher
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Winchester, KY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 516
John Deere 6430 and 6420

Looking at a new tractor for my farm. Need 90 or so pto horsepower, can't afford a new tractor. I've been looking at 2010-2012 6430's and some mid 2000's 6420's. I know these are commonrail. What's everyones' opinion on these newer ones versus the mechanical pump tractors like 4255. Gonna mostly pull 15 foot bushhog and tend about 30-40 acres of hay and 20 or so acres of corn for cattle.
__________________
2012 MCSB big horn
2010 Laramie QCSB
2008 SLT RCLB
2006 5.9 POWR
 
Old 08-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
will24
 
will24's Avatar

Name: will24
Title: That guy
Status: Not Here
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Williamsport, PA, Elverson, PA and Luray, VA
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,718
You're about the limit on a 15' mower with a 6430, it will run it, but will be slow going in the heavy stuff. We have a 6430 loader tractor at the farm I work at. No problems at all with it, starts beautiful in the cold, decent on fuel, we use it for raking, loading bales etc, it's usually the "other tractor" when making hay and straw, 7410 does the baling mostly and the 6430 does everything else.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
 
Old 08-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Red Sleeper
 
Red Sleeper's Avatar

Name: Red Sleeper
Title: So God Made a Farmer
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: TEXAS
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 3,089
You're probably going to pay darn near the same for the new(er) common rail tractor vs an older mechanical 55 series JD in good shape. I personally would lean toward an older mechanical one. Though the 55 series started to introduce some electronics. The dash for example, all the gauges are electronic.

I just love the sound and rattle of the old mechanical JD's though.
__________________
Nick J
14' Silverado LTZ 4x4 5.3 Long Tubes, Cat-less, Tuned.
05' Cummins. QCSB. Built 48RE, Smarty, H2O/CH4O, ARP 425. Currently Under Construction
91' Cummins w350 5spd, ARP 625, Valve Springs, Rough Rider
 
Old 08-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
EPA Violator

Name: EPA Violator
Title: CR Wrencher
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Winchester, KY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sleeper View Post
You're probably going to pay darn near the same for the new(er) common rail tractor vs an older mechanical 55 series JD in good shape. I personally would lean toward an older mechanical one. Though the 55 series started to introduce some electronics. The dash for example, all the gauges are electronic.

I just love the sound and rattle of the old mechanical JD's though.
Me too. I just don't want to get something I have to work on and fix stuff. I just need it to run, some of the older ones need tires etc. How many hours (in general) can be put on the older mechanical tractors before overhaul, assuming normal maintenance and not excessive dusty conditions. What would be considered low hrs for the 55 series? 2000 or so?
__________________
2012 MCSB big horn
2010 Laramie QCSB
2008 SLT RCLB
2006 5.9 POWR
 
Old 08-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
EPA Violator

Name: EPA Violator
Title: CR Wrencher
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Winchester, KY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 516
Also, any advantage of the newer ones as far as safety, rollover protection etc. I'm looking at cab tractors, my girls will likely be in them some as well. thx.
__________________
2012 MCSB big horn
2010 Laramie QCSB
2008 SLT RCLB
2006 5.9 POWR
 
Old 08-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Signature600
 
Signature600's Avatar

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Jeffersonville, Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 11,032
Not my color, but parts are cheaper for the older stuff, and the tractor will hold up better.

I would consider anything short of 4000hrs low on a 55 series tractor....remember how old they are at this point.


From what we have seen, again, not my color, but we do trade for them....Deere's quality has gone down since the 60 series. I'm talking about the total life of the tractor, which, for most people, doesn't matter. Most will buy them, put a couple thousand hours on them, then trade them off.
In places where a couple thousand hours is a years time, Deere is losing market. Not fast, but they are.


Again, not a problem for most.

I would say for what you're looking for, either would be a good choice. Main thing is to remember anything with electronics, the dealer will need to be involved for a repair sometime...maybe not everytime, but at some point, they will be needed.

Chris
__________________


THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

 
Old 08-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
EPA Violator

Name: EPA Violator
Title: CR Wrencher
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Winchester, KY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
Not my color, but parts are cheaper for the older stuff, and the tractor will hold up better.

I would consider anything short of 4000hrs low on a 55 series tractor....remember how old they are at this point.


From what we have seen, again, not my color, but we do trade for them....Deere's quality has gone down since the 60 series. I'm talking about the total life of the tractor, which, for most people, doesn't matter. Most will buy them, put a couple thousand hours on them, then trade them off.
In places where a couple thousand hours is a years time, Deere is losing market. Not fast, but they are.


Again, not a problem for most.

I would say for what you're looking for, either would be a good choice. Main thing is to remember anything with electronics, the dealer will need to be involved for a repair sometime...maybe not everytime, but at some point, they will be needed.

Chris
thx
__________________
2012 MCSB big horn
2010 Laramie QCSB
2008 SLT RCLB
2006 5.9 POWR
 
Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
EPA Violator

Name: EPA Violator
Title: CR Wrencher
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Winchester, KY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 516
figured I'd update the thread. I found an immaculate 2012 6430 with only 400 hours and the 340 FEL. bought it and love it. I've never had a tractor with a cab before, it's plumb comfy. Bushhogging won't be a chore no more
__________________
2012 MCSB big horn
2010 Laramie QCSB
2008 SLT RCLB
2006 5.9 POWR
 
Old 09-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
Signature600
 
Signature600's Avatar

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Jeffersonville, Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 11,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA Violator View Post
figured I'd update the thread. I found an immaculate 2012 6430 with only 400 hours and the 340 FEL. bought it and love it. I've never had a tractor with a cab before, it's plumb comfy. Bushhogging won't be a chore no more
The cabs sure have come a LONG way....

Congrats!
Chris
__________________


THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

 
Old 09-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #10
DieselheaD
 
DieselheaD's Avatar

Name: DieselheaD
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CA
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,624
What cab does it have EPAviolator ?
__________________
https://instagram.com/cbmn91/
 
Old 09-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
99GreenCummins
 
99GreenCummins's Avatar

Name: 99GreenCummins
Title: Thinking about twins.....
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Marietta, Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,211
I'd say you got yourself a good tractor! Our state highway departments uses 6430s as road mowers. They have no complaints on the power running their heavy batwing mowers.

I looked back through our service history at the dealer when I first saw this. Only problem that was in the system was a person having shifting issues. It would have trouble shifting into drive. This fault was occurring less than once a month and he wanted it repaired before his extended warranty ran out.
__________________
Todd
Some farm truck
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.

 


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 - 2018, CompetitionDiesel.com
all information found on this site is property of www.competitiondiesel.com